Dean's Welcome Thread

Zippy

Zippy
  • Law Student

Starting a thread for any discussion related to the dean's welcome event on March 26/29!

Does anyone have any insight on appropriate attire for the event? I'm assuming casual wear is fine as long as it isn't sloppy.

• Like 2

nitzy
  • Law School Admit

hello there!

literally just pondering this myself. I think like, a smart casual would fine?

Zippy
  • Law Student
9 minutes ago, nitzy said:

hello there!

literally just pondering this myself. I think like, a smart casual would fine?

Relieving to know someone is in the same, uncertain boat! Lol. 

Renerik
  • Law Student

I plan on showing up to the virtual Dean's welcome wearing a shirt and tie. Nothing else

One Dance Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 4

PsychologicalBug
  • Law School Admit
20 hours ago, LawStudent11111 said:

Starting a thread for any discussion related to the dean's welcome event on March 26/29!

Does anyone have any insight on appropriate attire for the event? I'm assuming casual wear is fine as long as it isn't sloppy.

I was wondering the same thing! I’ll be showing up pretty casual, but not sloppy, as you said. I find it interesting that the Welcome Address is so early when much of the class hasn’t received acceptances yet!

• Like 1

bilron
  • Applicant

Anyone invited to/attending the Dean’s lunch prior to the main welcome? I believe invites were sent to scholarship recipients, just not sure how many people this includes.

Daemon
  • Lawyer

3L at the UofA here. You do not have to dress up for the Dean's Welcome. Hoodies and jeans would not be out of place. Just wear something you feel comfortable in. I wore heels for my Dean's Welcome and seriously regretted it, especially for the tour. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

LawWizard
  • Applicant

I am pulling up looking like a little grungy emo kid, the most I would be doing here is pulling up with a dress shirt and some chinos. me mum said the kids who pulled up to the first day wearing a suit and tie looked out of place. not sure if that also goes for the dean's welcome but you get what i'm saying

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PsychologicalBug
  • Law School Admit
21 hours ago, Daemon said:

3L at the UofA here. You do not have to dress up for the Dean's Welcome. Hoodies and jeans would not be out of place. Just wear something you feel comfortable in. I wore heels for my Dean's Welcome and seriously regretted it, especially for the tour. 

Perfect. Lol. What does the Dean's Welcome entail? I wasn't even aware they were giving a tour! I can't seem to find any substantial information on it for what to expect.

Zippy
  • Law Student
56 minutes ago, PsychologicalBug said:

Perfect. Lol. What does the Dean's Welcome entail? I wasn't even aware they were giving a tour! I can't seem to find any substantial information on it for what to expect.

You can find part of the Dean's Welcome sessions from the past few years on the UAlberta Law YouTube page but yes it would be great to hear from someone who has attended! Frustrating that they haven't provided us with much information, I like to be prepared!

Edited by LawStudent11111

Daemon
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, PsychologicalBug said:

1 hour ago, LawStudent11111 said:

You can find part of the Dean's Welcome sessions from the past few years on the UAlberta Law YouTube page but yes it would be great to hear from someone who has attended! Frustrating that they haven't provided us with much information, I like to be prepared!

What LawStudent said. Not to mention that it could definitely have changed quite a bit considering COVID protocols and whatnot taking place over the last couple of years.

Dean's Welcome is basically the school's attempt to pitch why you should choose U of A over your other offers (if you have them). There are quite a number of speeches given by various leaders, such as the Law Society President, Dean of Law, etc etc. They try to highlight some of the greatest things they have to offer (such as student groups, extracurricular opportunities, and academic opportunities) while also humble-bragging about their various successes. There's usually a lunch where you awkwardly mingle and act like you belong, and then an optional tour around the faculty. Our building actually has some cool niche areas, as well as is built somewhat confusingly, so I highly recommend the tour. 

It can be a fun experience. You should join in. And definitely take some time to talk to any of the upper-year volunteers that you can find - they are more likely to give you candid information than the official presentations. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
PsychologicalBug
  • Law School Admit

Just wanted to put out there that if anyone else is going to the in-person event alone (like I will be), and would like a pal to hang out with/meet, let me know and I’d be happy to meet you! 😊

• Like 1

Abcd
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, PsychologicalBug said:

Just wanted to put out there that if anyone else is going to the in-person event alone (like I will be), and would like a pal to hang out with/meet, let me know and I’d be happy to meet you! 😊

Hey me and a couple other 1L’s are going to earls after the in person deans welcome for a couple drinks. Shoot me a message! Would love to meet you and some other fellow classmates

• Like 2

User456
  • Law School Admit
6 hours ago, PsychologicalBug said:

Are you in the fb group yet? ☺️ 

PsychologicalBug
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, User456 said:

Are you in the fb group yet? ☺️ 

I am! Guess I could post this there. 😊

Ribbons
  • Law Student

FOLKS! If you are coming to the Dean's Welcome in person also considering joining for bevvies after at the Campus Tours Earls 🙂 Join the FB group for more details

• Like 1

PsychologicalBug
  • Law School Admit
5 hours ago, vintagepng said:

Will there be another one for people accepted during second round offers?

I have no idea, but I sure hope so. I really feel for all those who are still waiting (what could be over half our class lol) and seeing this stuff going on. 🥺

• Like 2

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
6 hours ago, vintagepng said:

Will there be another one for people accepted during second round offers?

Definitely not. But they post it on youtube usually. Its not all that important 

• Like 2