Rejected 2022

tortstortoise

shawarmalaw
  • Law Student
On 3/28/2022 at 4:19 PM, SatelliteMind said:

Went into queue March 11 and rejected March 24. Saw it coming because my stats were not competitive. I've had a LOT on my plate over the last 3 years and my grades/LSAT took a serious hit because of it. Oh well, life goes on. I'm just disappointed that they couldn't be bothered to send an email. They posted it on OASIS and I just happened to check. 

What are your stats if you don’t mind sharing? Mine aren’t competitive either and I wanna compare 

allrise1
  • Law School Admit
On 3/22/2022 at 12:20 PM, lawparty said:

Got mine on the 21st. 

GPA: 2.8 (yeah it's bad, from 15 years ago, and lots of documenting as to why)
LSAT: 162

Excellent ECs, decades of work, volunteer, entrepreneurial success, board (including chair of multi-million dollar org), media and lobbying experience. 

I knew I was a niche candidate with a stinker GPA. I'll probably write the LSAT again and aim for 170+ (testing 168 now after a long break). Show I've got that dedication or whatever. Luckily I also have all the above-mentioned things ongoing, so I'm not stranded. But I am getting older so it would have been cool to get started a year sooner. Oh well!

Hey just curious why wouldn’t you instead improve your GPA vs your LSAT score? A low gpa like 2.8 will not be compensated by a 170+. You want to show you have dedication take more undergrad courses and improve the other half of your application showing you care about both parts. Studying to get a 170+ might/is probably just a waste of your time that won’t change anything.

Edited by allrise1
  • Angry 3

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
8 hours ago, allrise1 said:

Hey just curious why wouldn’t you instead improve your GPA vs your LSAT score? A low gpa like 2.8 will not be compensated by a 170+. You want to show you have dedication take more undergrad courses and improve the other half of your application showing you care about both parts. Studying to get a 170+ might/is probably just a waste of your time that won’t change anything.

There are some  incorrect assumptions here.

A low GPA can absolutely be mitigated by other factors. If you can show aptitude through other factors (are you in a high-intensity position/something that shows aptitude for the rigours of law school?) and mitigating circumstances for that GPA (were you dealing with exceptional circumstances or an undiagonsed/untreated condition?), years can be written off your GPA. This is especially true for mature students - the longer out you've been from your undergrad, the less it matters.

What is true is that it's exceptionally difficult to get a 170. But it might be the better path over trying to go back for an undergrad degree. It's not a waste of time, just a very difficult path to take. 

allrise1
  • Law School Admit
25 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

A low GPA can absolutely be mitigated by other factors. If you can show aptitude through other factors (are you in a high-intensity position/something that shows aptitude for the rigours of law school?) and mitigating circumstances for that GPA (were you dealing with exceptional circumstances or an undiagonsed/untreated condition?), years can be written off your GPA. This is especially true for mature students - the longer out you've been from your undergrad, the less it matters.

What is true is that it's exceptionally difficult to get a 170. But it might be the better path over trying to go back for an undergrad degree. It's not a waste of time, just a very difficult path to take. 

I think that is very school dependent I’m not disagreeing with you but a 2.8 is a challenges.

I’ve been a long time lurker of this forum and have read the threads religiously I have yet to see this happen. I’m sure you know more than me and I was not trying to offend it hurt anyones feelings. I also did go back to school to improve my own GPA to make myself more competitive. It was a difficult path to take but I’m not even close to the only one that took it. I get what your saying but you don’t think a 2.8/170 is significantly less competitive in multiple law schools than for example a 3.5/162?

25 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

I additionally am aware York wrote online very clearly that one side can be compensated for the other. They also wrote there is no guarantee. The applicant sounds phenomenal and I wish him/her the best. I have yet to see a 2.8/170 in the forum and if I am uneducated at that then I am truly sorry.

But I have done the other path and I am only speaking from experience.

Edited by allrise1

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
11 minutes ago, allrise1 said:

I think that is very school dependent I’m not disagreeing with you but a 2.8 is a challenges.

I’ve been a long time lurker of this forum and have read the threads religiously I have yet to see this happen. I’m sure you know more than me and I was not trying to offend it hurt anyones feelings. I also did go back to school to improve my own GPA to make myself more competitive. It was a difficult path to take but I’m not even close to the only one that took it. I get what your saying but you don’t think a 2.8/170 is significantly less competitive in multiple law schools than for example a 3.5/162?

Sure. Except I sat on Osgoode's admissions committee and looked at files similar enough to this to have some first-hand expertise on the matter. 

That would entirely depend. We had cases where we ignored entire years out of someone's transcript because they were dealing with something like A) ADHD, B) domestic violence or C) death of a loved one. A 2.8 isn't indicative in cases where there's documentation or where you've been out of school for fifteen years. If someone went out and spent a fair amount of time gathering expertise in a different way (A journalist who won awards for their coverage, someone who worked in a competitive field which required aptitude) - they're an attractive candidate over yet another undergrad student with normal ECs and experience. And there's a push at law schools to take on folks who have more experience/are mature - it's an attractive trait as schools also look at the overall makeup of their cohort. 

Is it an easy path? No. But this isn't as simple as "compare it with a 3.5/162". And recommending that someone go back to school after a fifteen year break to improve their GPA for a chance at law school in 2-3 years isn't it. 

• Like 7

allrise1
  • Law School Admit

No offence but isn’t it is kind of harsh when I had a 2.8 before going back to school. It was a hard path I also did courses online while working full-time. I have gotten into three schools already and I had a six year break. Furthermore, I have also went until 28 with undiagnosed ADHD and have further private discrepancies I will not be sharing on this thread. The path you are talking slightly down for is the one I took.

I do not sit in the admissions committee and I completely accept your knowledge and position. However, I am also older and have other friends with similar hardships who applied this cycle after upgrading and taking on another degree and having success broadly. Two who have been accepted into York. I am not only specifically commenting on york. I wish the candidate the best I hope they success and flourish and that route proves promising. I haven’t seen it yet in the acceptance threads and I was not trying to offend anyone here. You are correct that it is diverse compared to regular undergrads with great GPAs, LSATs and ECs by all means I was not trying to discredit their position. I apologize to anyone I offended, if was a genuine question as I’ve seen many other applicants go the other route.

Edited by allrise1

42 minutes ago, allrise1 said:

I apologize to anyone I offended, if was a genuine question as I’ve seen many other applicants go the other route.

I don't think you offended anyone, so no need to apologize. What @ZineZ was trying to clarify is that the typical advice of "go back to school" if you have a low GPA is not always the only option. There are some instances where a low GPA can be offset, depending on the facts and circumstances surrounding each individual case. That is why Osgoode says their admissions are holistic -- this is the kind of example where it becomes apparent.

But you're right that in many (if not most) cases, especially where poor performance was just a matter of life happening and not an exceptional circumstance, going back to school and improving your cGPA is likely the only path to admission at Oz.

• Like 2

Kobe
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, allrise1 said:

I additionally am aware York wrote online very clearly that one side can be compensated for the other. They also wrote there is no guarantee. The applicant sounds phenomenal and I wish him/her the best. I have yet to see a 2.8/170 in the forum and if I am uneducated at that then I am truly sorry.

But I have done the other path and I am only speaking from experience.

That is from this year. Exact stats you mention. You can get in as a splitter, there's not much else to say. Going back to school and getting a better LSAT are both legit options. For most people years removed from undergrad the LSAT is more realistic as it is much cheaper and is easier to study for while working than it would be to take a full time course load. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, significantword372 said:

Rejected dated April 7th CGPA 3.66 L2 3.82 LSAT 153 and 158 

When did you go into the queue?

iwannagetaccepted1234
  • Law School Admit

got the rejection email today. OLSAS gpa 3.85, lsat 157, general applicant

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
thecapric0rn
  • Applicant

Rejected April 26 

CGPA - 3.01 

B2 - 3.6-3.7ish

LSAT - 167 (Jan 2022)

rejected from all schools I applied to. 

mjslava
  • Applicant
11 minutes ago, thecapric0rn said:

Rejected April 26 

CGPA - 3.01 

B2 - 3.6-3.7ish

LSAT - 167 (Jan 2022)

I’m sorry to hear that. That’s really unfortunate. Mind my asking which schools you applied to?

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, thecapric0rn said:

Rejected April 26 

CGPA - 3.01 

B2 - 3.6-3.7ish

LSAT - 167 (Jan 2022)

How your stats are amazing so sorry that happened did you apply broadly?

Kobe
  • Law Student

Got the email this morning, unsurprising given my cGPA. Firmly accepted Queens now!

cGPA 3.1 (would have been 3.2 if they had waited a few more days LOL)

B2/L2 3.9

LSAT 168

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

lawparty
  • Applicant

I wanna jump in since my abysmal GPA caused such a fuss to say: It was actually more like a 2.4ish (OLSAS), I was being generous to myself out of shame, and I got accepted to a (really great) law school today. 

Those with low GPAs who have really been living and smashing it in their work/personal lives: you have hopes! Schools do indeed take into consideration your experiences. It might take a go or two, but stick with it and keep changing the world <3. Our lives may have started out rocky, but if you're awesome, someone will see that somewhere, someday. If someone insists you need to go back to get another undergrad at 40, sure they may be right but, they may be wrong.

I'm really excited to hit the ground running in 1L in fall of 2022.

• Like 5

YouAgain
  • Law School Admit
5 hours ago, Kobe said:

Got the email this morning, unsurprising given my cGPA. Firmly accepted Queens now!

cGPA 3.1 (would have been 3.2 if they had waited a few more days LOL)

B2/L2 3.9

LSAT 168

Hi! 

I'm really sorry about your rejection but super happy you're going to Queen's. If you don't mind me asking what time did you go into review for Osgoode?

Kobe
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, YouAgain said:

Hi! 

I'm really sorry about your rejection but super happy you're going to Queen's. If you don't mind me asking what time did you go into review for Osgoode?

Feb 11th!

Crispy Boi
  • Law Student

Saw the rejection this morning on Oasis! Dated April 28th. Cgpa 2.53, B2/L2 3.9, LSAT 165. Went into queue Feb 16th.

Unsurprising, I’m just relieves to have a final response so I can start making my plans for the fall with no more what-ifs or maybes.

• Ryn pinned this topic
legally_brunette
  • Applicant

Got the email just now! Not surprised given my cGPA but am definitely disappointed that I've been rejected from every school I've applied to so far. 😞 

cGPA 3.325 LSAT 161 

• Hugs 1

ng5492022
  • Law School Admit

Rejected May 3rd. Sadly did not get into any schools that I've applied to

mjslava
  • Applicant
15 minutes ago, ng5492022 said:

Rejected May 3rd. Sadly did not get into any schools that I've applied to

That’s rough. You planning on doing the LSAT again?