Interview Expectations

Totally_Bucked

Totally_Bucked
  • Law School Admit

So this week I received an email asking me to participate in an "Admissions Interview" some time next week. To be clear, this is not the French assessment interview, this is an admissions interview. My question is, since these are relatively rare, does anyone know what I should expect? Obviously if giving away some questions or topics would make things unfair feel free to withhold that information, but any information on the general intent and approach (or anything else you think would be good to know) would be much appreciated.

For everyone's collective info, I am a mature applicant and spent the last ten years in the armed forces, so I probably won't be getting the exact same questions as they ask the CEGEP applicants. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Totally_Bucked

GreyDude
  • Law Student

I have never had an interview at McGill, so this could be completely off-track. Also, there's no guarantee that all interviews are the same (I expect they are very similar, to ensure fairness, but what do I know, really?)

However, over the years some of my students have told me about their interviews. The common denominator has been that interviewers always asked something about their PS or CV, and they have tended (I don't recall if this was always the case) to ask their views on some issue or other that was in the news. But the main thing has generally been the CV or PS.

The questions about the PS/CV weren't "prove that this is true," as I was told it, but rather "tell us more about X" or "how did Y affect your approach to Z over time?" and so on. Based on these accounts, it seems that the way to prepare (what I would do, anyway), is to get a good night's sleep, be as relaxed as possible, and be sure to review your PS and CV before you go in. Aside from that, the usual rules about being polite, respectful, etc. apply—but you OP doesn't need to be told that. 🙂

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Vavilov
  • Articling Student

GreyDudes response is dead on.

I applied as an indigenous candidate and had an interview. They asked me a couple questions about my statement and a couple about current affairs. Nothing difficult. My favorite was "what would be the implications for the rule of law should Donald Trump be impeached and then pardon himself?". I reckon that would not be good for the rule of law... 

Edited by Vavilov
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Scared
  • Applicant

hey sorry to bother you but I was wondering if you were asked questions in French and English and if so what was the distribution?

Vavilov
  • Articling Student
14 hours ago, Scared said:

hey sorry to bother you but I was wondering if you were asked questions in French and English and if so what was the distribution?

Its no bother. The interview was completely in English. Though they did ask about how I planned to improve my French before the start of the program, as this was a weak point of my application. 

Totally_Bucked
  • Law School Admit
16 hours ago, Scared said:

I had a couple of questions in French, but for the most part the interview was conducted in English. But I work in French so I don't think they were as worried about my language skills.