Atlantic Canada first year associate avg salary?

katypurry

katypurry
  • Law Student

Sorry if this is the wrong spot on the forum, but I’ve been trying to get general information about average salaries for first year associates in Atlantic Canada for medium to big firms.

For context, I have an offer for 2L summer + articling at a medium sized Nova Scotia firm for $43,000/yr. Is it typical to expect somewhat significant increases for first year associates when/if hire-back happen.

Alternatively, is it typically a generalized salary in Atlantic Canada or can it be negotiated/based on other factors?

I appreciate any input! I wanted to see if there was any insight here before I dig deeper elsewhere. I find it so odd that this info is not more readily accessible. Thanks everyone 🙂

• 1 month later...
Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

The larger firms are upping their first year salaries. StewartMcKelvey is going to $80k in June, and $85k in January. Cox&Palmer and McInnesCooper I hear are being raised to $82k. 

frenchie
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Phaedrus said:

The larger firms are upping their first year salaries. StewartMcKelvey is going to $80k in June, and $85k in January. Cox&Palmer and McInnesCooper I hear are being raised to $82k. 

Is there usually room for negotiation? 

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

I can't say for sure, but my guess is "not successfully" at this time. These raises are very fresh and they represent a significant increase for the firms. To my knowledge, first year salaries were closer to $60-65k. I also don't know what the recent hireback stats are or will be for these firms. I'm aware that attrition to Ontario and BC was a contributing factor for the raises. People figure if they're going to work BigLaw hours, they might as well go where they'll be compensated for it, especially with the raising cost of living. 

EDIT: For the sake of comparing some salaries, first-year Crowns in Newfoundland $71,373 and in Nova Scotia $82,830.09 (whether you're rural or urban-based). I know this isn't terribly relevant for private sector, but it shows how they line up with public/government lawyers in the area. 

Edited by Phaedrus
  • Thanks 2

katypurry
  • Law Student

On 5/2/2022 at 9:07 PM, Phaedrus said:

Just getting around to seeing this. Thanks! I wonder what medium sized firms in the area are in comparison, but likely not as accessible numbers in those cases. 

On 5/3/2022 at 9:46 AM, Phaedrus said:

I can't say for sure, but my guess is "not successfully" at this time. These raises are very fresh and they represent a significant increase for the firms. To my knowledge, first year salaries were closer to $60-65k. I also don't know what the recent hireback stats are or will be for these firms. I'm aware that attrition to Ontario and BC was a contributing factor for the raises. People figure if they're going to work BigLaw hours, they might as well go where they'll be compensated for it, especially with the raising cost of living. 

EDIT: For the sake of comparing some salaries, first-year Crowns in Newfoundland $71,373 and in Nova Scotia $82,830.09 (whether you're rural or urban-based). I know this isn't terribly relevant for private sector, but it shows how they line up with public/government lawyers in the area. 

People were working big law hours out east for $60k a year? Even $82k year is a joke if that’s the expectation…

Edited by Ernie

Panda
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Ernie said:

People were working big law hours out east for $60k a year? Even $82k year is a joke if that’s the expectation…

I have friends in one of the Big 3 that were working around 2000 billables a year for just over 60k. 

In my opinion, the issue is a captive labor market. People who live on the East Coast are usually willing to take a big pay cut to continue living on the East Coast, so the labor supply is fairly inelastic when it comes to price. To a degree, the same is also true of Toronto compared to New York/US. But the effect is most strongly seen in the lawyer salaries in and around Halifax.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Mbu1
  • Law Student
On 5/3/2022 at 10:46 AM, Phaedrus said:

Thanks. And assuming a start at $85k, do you know what the salary progression is for 2nd and 3rd year associates? What about bonuses?

Edited by Mbu1