Practicing in Nova Scotia (Halifax)

Apple

Apple
  • Lawyer

Hi all, 

As I consider where I might be in the next coming years I am seriously considering moving from Ontario to Nova Scotia. The housing affordability combined with the beautiful nature and slower pace of things in Nova Scotia really is desirable to me. I am considering moving out in about 3-4 years. 

What is practice like out in Nova Scotia, specifically Halifax? I'm really open to anything when it comes to work. Anyone currently working there who can speak to life and work in Halifax feel free to chime in. 🙂 

Mods: If this isn't the right spot for this sorta discussion feel free to move this post around. 

• Like 1

CheeseToast
  • Law Student

Maybe in 3-4 years the housing market may have cooled off but I wouldn't bet on it. Would love to stay out here personally but the low salaries and relatively high COL make it not worth it IMO. I do love Halifax though. 

• Like 1

razraini
  • Lawyer

I had contemplated a similar move from Alberta to Nova Scotia, Halifax specifically. Generally, the cost of living between Calgary and Halifax is a wash although it costs slightly more to live in Halifax and you make less. I know you’re coming from Ontario but FWIW that may be a helpful reference point.

Right now, it is quite difficult to rent or buy in the HRM. My friends and family in the area are struggling to locate anything in nearby bedroom communities. They are offering more than the asking price by considerable margins and still coming up short.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Skweemish
  • Lawyer
On 3/26/2022 at 1:08 PM, Apple said:

Hi all, 

As I consider where I might be in the next coming years I am seriously considering moving from Ontario to Nova Scotia. The housing affordability combined with the beautiful nature and slower pace of things in Nova Scotia really is desirable to me. I am considering moving out in about 3-4 years. 

What is practice like out in Nova Scotia, specifically Halifax? I'm really open to anything when it comes to work. Anyone currently working there who can speak to life and work in Halifax feel free to chime in. 🙂 

Mods: If this isn't the right spot for this sorta discussion feel free to move this post around. 

Hey, I currently work at a large regional firm in Halifax and am happy to chat - bit late seeing this unfortunately. Send me a message if you'd like to discuss!