Does it Matter....2?

Masterchief117

Masterchief117
  • Law School Admit

Just to preface I posted this post in the general section of the forum but no one seems to be replying so I thought why not try here lol.

Hey everyone, I just got admitted into the University of Windsor Single JD program and have not applied to anywhere in Ontario. The reason I chose Windsor was because my family is moving to Ontario (Specifically Windsor) and I wanted to live as smartly as possible money wise especially since they are paying for law school as well. My only issue is until now I did not realize the negative perception that Windsor's law program has had. My only worry is now that my job prospects have been limited (I am not sure which area I want to practice in just yet, either corporate or immigration not to sure). Essentially, I just want to know at the end of the day, if I get good grades (around an A-) will it matter where I go to law school? Thank You for the replies in advance!

erin otoole
  • Lawyer

I am a 3L Dual JD, besides the dual being a largely expensive enterprise with little benefit, you will do just fine in the single. 

For students who are not sure what they want to do afterwards the primary objective should be to minimize debt, especially if you want to do immigration. With all the stupid fees your tuition will be $19,330.16 a year. You'll be getting a law degree for 70ish grand if your parents aren't charging you rent. 

Your job prospects would be limited insofar the average student here has little to no chance at big law nor clerkships. Its something you will need to make peace with when you come to Windsor, many of my friends got upset with their lack of OCI's but its just how the cookie crumbles. If you work hard, and I mean truly hard, to keep an 80+ average most opportunities will still be open to you. I tell future students to not bank on being a straight A person down here, more than likely you will be a B student with a couple A's and a couple C's. I was the B student, got a few OCI's, struck out and still found a 2L and articling position at a great firm. I'd like to note I took immigration law here and loved it. We have an Admin law prof John Rokakis, who is a phenomenal immigration lawyer that is highly respected, immigration and Windsor Law go hand in hand. 

There is a Single JD doing an AMA a bit further down you should give it a look. It does matter where you go to law school its ignorant to suggest I have the same opportunities as a UofT kid but you can manage. Much less debt, nice enough town, and a great community of fellow law students you should come down here. 

Masterchief117
  • Law School Admit
47 minutes ago, erin otoole said:

Your job prospects would be limited insofar the average student here has little to no chance at big law nor clerkships.

Hey, thank you for your response, I was wondering what kind of areas of practice will I have more success in finding during the big 2L recruit. Like based not the people you know, have they been able to find work for what would be last summer now for your peers? 

boxesoforanges
  • Law Student

Im a 1L in the single JD program and I really dont know what are considered "good grades". I have a 79 average after midterms and hoping to get it to 80+ with exams. Is that good enough for big law? I would say my non academic experiences are good and I have a unique 1L position lined up in NY. I guess just wondering if current students have any perspective on this.

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
14 hours ago, Masterchief117 said:

Hey, thank you for your response, I was wondering what kind of areas of practice will I have more success in finding during the big 2L recruit. Like based not the people you know, have they been able to find work for what would be last summer now for your peers? 

Practice areas are everything from full service Bay Street to pro bono criminal defense. Few students truly get to choose where they work, you hopefully get a job offer and go with the flow. Apply broadly and see what happens, I was willing to work anything other than criminal, didn't care about the city I had to move to so I cast a WIDE net during my 2L, I got interviews all across Ontario, met some cool lawyers. If it means anything to you, I am more than happy were I ended up, my firm treats me well and really cares about providing learning opportunities.  

My best guess is that 65% of students at Windsor get truly meaningful and paid 2L summer work at a law firm or under a sole. Add in research, volunteering and Dual's externships in Detroit, I'd say you are up to 90% of students doing some form of legal work.