U of T vs McGill?

ikand1399

ikand1399
  • Applicant

I just got accepted to McGill after having basically given up and now have a choice to make! I am not positive on what I would like to do yet and expect to narrow it down once I get to law school, but I want to explore IP/business. I am from the east coast so I don’t have a strong preference for either city, I can see working in either after graduation but I do have more friends and aquaintances in Toronto. I am interested in the job prospects and mobility aspect; I know both schools are great, but have seen that U of T has an advantage in placing students. The costs concern me with U of T: I have read about the “golden handcuffs” and would love to hear any perspectives on this. Do the job prospects at U of T make the price worth it or is McGill similar? I may also want to move closer to home at some point, will the loans at U of T prevent me from taking a lover paying job out east? I’m having a tough time deciding and any help would be appreciated! 

• 3 weeks later...
legaljustice
  • Law School Admit

McGill regularly places in biglaw and in New York. McGill law degree accepted by New York bar and most respect McGill more than UofT based on McGill’s reputation outside Canada. McGill grads as seen on par as Ivey students when being recruited by top law firms in NYC. Source: lawyer from McGill working at a NYC firm and knows recruiting 

• LOL 5

mistertubby
  • Law Student
15 hours ago, legaljustice said:

McGill grads as seen on par as Ivey students when being recruited by top law firms in NYC.

western students getting their resumes ready for the NY recruit

• LOL 1

artsydork
  • Lawyer
22 hours ago, legaljustice said:

McGill regularly places in biglaw and in New York. McGill law degree accepted by New York bar and most respect McGill more than UofT based on McGill’s reputation outside Canada. McGill grads as seen on par as Ivey students when being recruited by top law firms in NYC. Source: lawyer from McGill working at a NYC firm and knows recruiting 

All Canadian degrees are "accepted" by the New York Bar. Some firms dig deeper at McGill but I wouldn't say my McGill colleagues that ended up in New York had a leg up over U of T grads. 

Chances are OP will still work in Toronto following graduating from McGill. There is also the opportunity cost of articling later given that most people do not finish McGill in 3 years. But yeah, still much less expensive up front. 

Ultimately, do you want a civil degree? If not, go to U of T. If you want one, go to McGill.  

Edited by artsydork

Chemistry124
23 hours ago, legaljustice said:

McGill grads as seen on par as Ivey students when being recruited by top law firms in NYC.

No they're not. Not even close.

Source: Someone with access to internal recruiting data from multiple T14 schools.

Still, go to Mcgill. Any edge U of T has over Mcgill is mitigated by its outrageous tuition.

• 1 month later...
PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer
On 4/22/2022 at 3:55 PM, artsydork said:

All Canadian degrees are "accepted" by the New York Bar. Some firms dig deeper at McGill but I wouldn't say my McGill colleagues that ended up in New York had a leg up over U of T grads. 

Chances are OP will still work in Toronto following graduating from McGill. There is also the opportunity cost of articling later given that most people do not finish McGill in 3 years. But yeah, still much less expensive up front. 

Ultimately, do you want a civil degree? If not, go to U of T. If you want one, go to McGill.  

If OP is fairly young, that one year of opportunity cost shouldn't displace McGill vs u of t, even if they don't want a civil law degree.

I agree with everything else. I think the schools are similarly regarded in NYC, with u of t maybe a leg up - especially their dual MBA students. McGill had an obvious leg up in Europe. U of t a leg up in Toronto.

But tuition debt is killer. People shouldn't only consider tuition, but also cost of living (rent AND food, and generally entertainment). People regularly graduate McGill without debt, even after 3.5 years, without parent money. I don't think I've ever met a u of t student do that without parent money.

• Like 2

I faced a similar decision and since finishing law school, I don't regret choosing McGill. The cost of living (ie, rent) in Montreal vs. Toronto also makes a big difference. Tons of McGill students go on to secure jobs in TO.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...