Transfer Questions

Notworthy

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit

Hello! I got rejected from UofC but accepted at Dal, Ryerson and TRU. I want to transfer next year because my family is in Alberta and my dad is not in the best health so leaving him is already giving me severe anxiety. Do you think out of the three there’s a better option to try to transfer from? They said I would also be re-assess on the stats I applied with which are a 4.0/160. Any insight at all would really help. I also know getting a transfer spot is not garunteed as it depends on availability should I defer and wait another year? I don’t want to write the LSAT again but I would appreciate any advice. Is there a large chance no transfer spots will be available? 

Edited by Notworthy

CipherEvice
  • Law Student

I've read that very few seats are open for transfers every year. I think it is just based off of how many students a particular law school has leave, drop out, flunk out, transfer somewhere else etc. So it varies from year to year, and to answer your one question I do think there is a chance that no transfer spots are available or that very few are available at least. I also think deferring another year would be a bad idea because there also is no guarantee that you'll get accepted to UoC next year either, and then you'd be a year behind for nothing. But if being close to family is that important, especially during your dad's situation, maybe you'd want to do that anyway, I'm not you so idk.

It probably doesn't matter which of those schools you go to, they'll care more about what grades you get once you're there, so if I were you I'd make sure that my Fall 2022/first semester of law school transcript looks pretty darn good to have a chance at transferring. Choosing TRU might be a good option since it is much closer to AB than Dal or Ryerson. It's a bit of a drive from Kamloops but a long weekend trip to wherever you live in Alberta probably wouldn't be out of the question whereas it would be for the other two.

Edit: You also might want to try posting this in another section of the forum, I'm not sure where but I feel like there would be people who know more than I do somewhere on here.

Edited by CipherEvice

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
32 minutes ago, CipherEvice said:

Choosing TRU might be a good option since it is much closer to AB than Dal or Ryerson. It's a bit of a drive from Kamloops but a long weekend trip to wherever you live in Alberta probably wouldn't be out of the question whereas it would be for the other two.

Well, flying to Calgary from Halifax actually takes less time than driving to Calgary from Kamloops, though with getting to the airport early it is likely slightly longer I guess. Regardless, I wouldn't go to either if I planned on seeing my dad regularly, I'd probably defer in OP's situation and try for UofA and UofC next year. Nothing wrong with taking a year off and with your stats you should get in to both schools.  

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

I think you need to decide what matters more to you: going to law school in Alberta or starting law school in the fall of 2022. I get the impression that the former matters more to you. If that's the case, I would recommend taking a year out, spending time with your dad, getting some more work experience, reworking your personal statement, and reapplying to UofC (and UofA). I know you said you don't want to retake the LSAT, but if you have the extra time I would encourage you to do so. Even the difference of a few points could make a big difference. If you decide to reapply, I would also suggest (re)applying to more schools in Western Canada, along with UofC and UofA, as a backup.

It may seem like taking a year off is a big deal or is going to set you back significantly, but in the grand scheme of things I can guarantee you it will not matter, and that you will be thankful you were able to spend extra time with your dad.

If starting law school in the fall of 2022 is more important to you, I don't know if any of us can gauge which of the three will be the easiest to transfer from in any given year, and I think your choice should more heavily factor in how frequently you intend to come home and how much money you are willing to spend traveling, and, in the event that you cannot transfer, if you would be happy to attend that school for all three years. 

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, pastmidnight said:

I think you need to decide what matters more to you: going to law school in Alberta or starting law school in the fall of 2022. I get the impression that the former matters more to you. If that's the case, I would recommend taking a year out, spending time with your dad, getting some more work experience, reworking your personal statement, and reapplying to UofC (and UofA). I know you said you don't want to retake the LSAT, but if you have the extra time I would encourage you to do so. Even the difference of a few points could make a big difference. If you decide to reapply, I would also suggest (re)applying to more schools in Western Canada, along with UofC and UofA, as a backup.

It may seem like taking a year off is a big deal or is going to set you back significantly, but in the grand scheme of things I can guarantee you it will not matter, and that you will be thankful you were able to spend extra time with your dad.

If starting law school in the fall of 2022 is more important to you, I don't know if any of us can gauge which of the three will be the easiest to transfer from in any given year, and I think your choice should more heavily factor in how frequently you intend to come home and how much money you are willing to spend traveling, and, in the event that you cannot transfer, if you would be happy to attend that school for all three years. 

I get that but I am a straight A+ student and have an MBA and have worked for several years. I don’t think the LSAT was my problem for UofC. I think my PS was misguided and my resume did not read as cohesively as it should have. Since UofC is a holistic school and I have higher stats that multiple candidates that have been accepted rewriting the LSAT may not change much - more so my fault for not been as thorough as I should. Which I am deeply regretting. 

I noticed three people on linkedin have successfully transferred from TRU to UofC but not Dal/Ryerson. Ryerson is also a new school so not sure if the curriculum matches up. I think I’m more so looking for information from students that have done it successfully. Furthermore even though I don’t want to go to TRU they based their curriculum on UofC. I additionally have a compelling reason - I think my resume / PS can be redone to better reflect who I am. I am hoping for the following year I can be the exception.

I am not so much worried about acceptances across Canada I already have three acceptances and I am still waiting on a few schools. I don’t overly want to wait but I want to be as competitive as a candidate as possible for an upper-year transfer. I’m not sure if an updated LSAT is more important / how to be the most successful candidate even if only one spot is available. UofC takes your first year stats along with your 1L when evaluating candidates and I want to do my best to be in essence better than any other upper applicants that apply. Is there a high probability zero transfer spots will be available? Are the ones who made it through previously one offs? Are there students who bail on the first day / drop out at least once per year? 

Thank you for all the info on this thread I really appreciate it.

Edited by Notworthy

On 4/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, Notworthy said:

Hello! I got rejected from UofC but accepted at Dal, Ryerson and TRU. I want to transfer next year because my family is in Alberta and my dad is not in the best health so leaving him is already giving me severe anxiety. Do you think out of the three there’s a better option to try to transfer from? They said I would also be re-assess on the stats I applied with which are a 4.0/160. Any insight at all would really help. I also know getting a transfer spot is not garunteed as it depends on availability should I defer and wait another year? I don’t want to write the LSAT again but I would appreciate any advice. Is there a large chance no transfer spots will be available? 

It sounds like you’ve already emailed U of C about this, but here is their reply to me regarding the likelihood of transferring after first year:

“Regarding transferring to UCalgary Law from another law school, space is very limited at our law school, so the ability to accept transfer student is based upon the number of our students wishing to transfer to other institutions. In some years few or no transfer applicants are admitted, despite compelling or extenuating circumstances.  We do not provide any stats on the number of transfer students we accept.”

Not really new information, but confirmation that it’s not a guarantee they will even have spaces available. 

• Like 1

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

I mean this as kindly as possible, but I think what people are saying in this thread is going over your head a little bit. Because of how few transfer spots are available, you are generally advised not to pick a school with the goal of transferring in mind. You could be a very strong candidate and have compassionate grounds for a transfer, but UofC might not have the ability to accept you as a transfer student next year, regardless of how competitive you are, because they have no spots open in their class for transfer students. 

If you are deadset on UofC, I would encourage you to delay going to law school for a year and reapply to UofC next year. UofC will always have room for new students each year entering 1L. They might not always have room for students entering 2L. At this point you have control over two parts of your application: your personal statement and your LSAT. Refresh your personal statement. Yes, you don’t want to retake the LSAT, and yes, other candidates with lower stats have gotten in, but do you want to go to UofC badly enough that you will do anything you need to make yourself as competitive as possible? If that’s the case, retake the LSAT. 

Again, I think you need to decide what is more important to you: going to UofC or going to law school in the fall of 2022. If it is more important to you to go to law school in the fall of 2022, I repeat what I said previously: decide how frequently you intend to come home and how much money you are willing to spend travelling, and determine which of the three schools you would be happy to attend for all three years in the event that UofC is not able to accept you as a transfer student next year. If UofC doesn't have room for you next year, would you be rather spend three years at and have a degree from Dal, Ryerson or TRU? 

• Like 4

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
5 hours ago, pastmidnight said:

I mean this as kindly as possible, but I think what people are saying in this thread is going over your head a little bit. Because of how few transfer spots are available, you are generally advised not to pick a school with the goal of transferring in mind. You could be a very strong candidate and have compassionate grounds for a transfer, but UofC might not have the ability to accept you as a transfer student next year, regardless of how competitive you are, because they have no spots open in their class for transfer students. 

If you are deadset on UofC, I would encourage you to delay going to law school for a year and reapply to UofC next year. UofC will always have room for new students each year entering 1L. They might not always have room for students entering 2L. At this point you have control over two parts of your application: your personal statement and your LSAT. Refresh your personal statement. Yes, you don’t want to retake the LSAT, and yes, other candidates with lower stats have gotten in, but do you want to go to UofC badly enough that you will do anything you need to make yourself as competitive as possible? If that’s the case, retake the LSAT. 

Again, I think you need to decide what is more important to you: going to UofC or going to law school in the fall of 2022. If it is more important to you to go to law school in the fall of 2022, I repeat what I said previously: decide how frequently you intend to come home and how much money you are willing to spend travelling, and determine which of the three schools you would be happy to attend for all three years in the event that UofC is not able to accept you as a transfer student next year. If UofC doesn't have room for you next year, would you be rather spend three years at and have a degree from Dal, Ryerson or TRU? 

I emailed the UofC and they said they take transfers based on 1L grades and prior admissions statistics and compelling reasons. It is not going over my head, I am not expecting there to be a spot but I would like to hear success stories on what’s candidstes grades were like/ did they differentiate themselves in many respects and what their grades were before. I appreciate everyone’s insight I truly do but I was looking more so for those that have already made the transition. If you have then I am all ears for what you have to say, if you have not (myself included) then the advice is limited and I appreciate the input.

14 hours ago, Abc321 said:

It sounds like you’ve already emailed U of C about this, but here is their reply to me regarding the likelihood of transferring after first year:

“Regarding transferring to UCalgary Law from another law school, space is very limited at our law school, so the ability to accept transfer student is based upon the number of our students wishing to transfer to other institutions. In some years few or no transfer applicants are admitted, despite compelling or extenuating circumstances.  We do not provide any stats on the number of transfer students we accept.”

Not really new information, but confirmation that it’s not a guarantee they will even have spaces available. 

I did thanks I just wanted to hear from candidates that have been in similar positions / have already made the transfer. I believe my stats were competitive and a fault on my part for not having a better PS. They notified me that there is typically spots available as some students do leave/drop out or transfer and how they rank transfer applicants. I just started this thread to hear about other success stories as is may be a rare occurrence but it has occurred more than once.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
18 hours ago, Lilbb19 said:

Id go to tru given your circumstances. 

I’m going to UofA but thanks 

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, Notworthy said:

I’m going to UofA but thanks 

Ah i diddnt see you had u of a as an option atp, yea that def makes the most sense.