Which PSLOC Is Best?

cities1000

cities1000
  • Law Student

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some insight into which professional student line of credit is best for UofT Law. Their financial aid website discusses both Scotiabank and TD's PSLOCs. The only differences I see on UofT's website is that TD's LOC can provide $20,000 more credit if needed, but Scotiabank provides a 24-month grace period for principal payments, which TD does not. Are there any other differences, and are there other banks with just as good PSLOCs that I should be looking at? Thanks in advance! 

North
  • Law Student

Scotiabank and TD are the major players specifically because they offer more credit to UofT Law students than other banks. Personally, I don't know of any students who are using a bank that isn't one of these two for their PSLOC. As you've mentioned, Scotiabank's grace period is definitely a better deal than TD. I've also been told that Scotiabank has a better incentive package for students - free credit cards with better rewards, bonus cash opportunities if you agree to sign with them, etc. Contrastingly, TD will offer their own incentives - free cards, gift cards, etc. Have a look at these when you're applying, and ask your representative if they are aware of upcoming deals. I delayed signing for my PSLOC by a month or so because they were starting an Amazon gift card promo the following month.

One thing I'll add if you're considering a joint degree (JD/MBA for example). TD and Scotiabank will both offer 180k PSLOCs to JD/MBAs at UofT. There is a difference in how the money is made available annually. Scotiabank offers 45k/year over four years, whereas TD offers 60k/year over three years. For some, this makes a difference. In any case, I encourage you to get in touch with both banks to hear about what they have to offer. It's a worthwhile exercise, and the reps who are identified by the school are usually very easy to work with.

• Like 1