Jump to content

How fast does the waitlist typically move?


iwannagetaccepted1234
 Share

Recommended Posts

iwannagetaccepted1234
  • Law School Admit

basically just wanting to chat about ualberta waitlist... i know i cannot predict anything but if im waitlisted which its quite likely, do only a very small handful of people typically get in off of this waitlist? I cannot find many of the people on the archived pages saying they got in off of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit

Hey! I know this is a hard/stressful time and I am also still waiting but maybe wait to jump the gun before you know where your at. I saw you got into TRU that’s great it’s hard to make a projection for waitlists because it is dependent on students dropping their seats which varies from year to year. It may even vary less now that the deposit went from 500 to 1000. All you can do now is relax and say you did what you could. Best of luck! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SubpoenaColada
  • Law School Admit

Also wondering this, as I am worried that yesterday could have been the last wave of acceptances. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
10 minutes ago, SubpoenaColada said:

Also wondering this, as I am worried that yesterday could have been the last wave of acceptances. 

What are your stats? It’s not I already emailed the office.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

iwannagetaccepted1234
  • Law School Admit
23 minutes ago, Notworthy said:

What are your stats? It’s not I already emailed the office.

Really? I thought everyone was convinced second round offers only occurred on one day in april typically, then its just waitlist acceptances 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, iwannagetaccepted1234 said:

Really? I thought everyone was convinced second round offers only occurred on one day in april typically, then its just waitlist acceptances 

What everyone is convinced and what’s real are two very different things.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

iwannagetaccepted1234
  • Law School Admit
Just now, iwannagetaccepted1234 said:

Really? I thought everyone was convinced second round offers only occurred on one day in april typically, then its just waitlist acceptances 

my stats are 3.92 L2, 157 lsat. general applicant 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit

Your asking questions that require a lot of speculation, that you can have answered by asking the office in an email. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

iwannagetaccepted1234
  • Law School Admit

i appreciate your reply! id love to see a screenshot of the email saying there's more acceptances 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit

Yes I was asking the other posted I saw yours, if you look on the generally accepted thread it said acceptances went out to people with around a 245 index in may 

It shows people getting accepted in may 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

iwannagetaccepted1234
  • Law School Admit
4 minutes ago, Notworthy said:

Yes I was asking the other posted I saw yours, if you look on the generally accepted thread it said acceptances went out to people with around a 245 index in may 

It shows people getting accepted in may 

my bad oops! && thanks, i will probably email the office to just clear my mind even tho its not gonna change my outcome 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit

But you’ve also already decided your outcome without being accepted, waitlisted or rejected. They will tell you similar information to be patient. Regardless I wish you the best I’m also still waiting and I don’t know if I’ll be on a wait list or not. Good luck with everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whist
  • Law Student

The reason everyone is convinced the recent wave was the last one of outright offers is because that's how it's been for the last two years. More offers will go out, but they will all be off the waitlist provided the school keeps to the same pattern. (It's of course always possible they don't.) If you look at last year's archived thread, all the May offers stated they had been waitlisted first. For two years prior, majority in the May-June time frame got in off the waitlist but a couple people don't mention whether they were waitlisted first.

Edited by Whist
typo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SubpoenaColada
  • Law School Admit
36 minutes ago, Notworthy said:

What are your stats? It’s not I already emailed the office.

L2 is 3.8 and LSAT is 158. Did they say when the next round is?

14 minutes ago, Notworthy said:

Your asking questions that require a lot of speculation, that you can have answered by asking the office in an email. 

This might be a dumb question, so I am sorry, but a couple friends told me that its frowned upon to email admissions these questions. Is that not true? Thank you for your help as well!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SK1373
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, SubpoenaColada said:

L2 is 3.8 and LSAT is 158. Did they say when the next round is?

This might be a dumb question, so I am sorry, but a couple friends told me that its frowned upon to email admissions these questions. Is that not true? Thank you for your help as well!

I know this response wasn't directed to me buuuut I don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions as long as you are being respectful...they understand we're all under a lot of stress and can appreciate the anxiety brought about by the uncertainty of our situations. Having said that, I wouldn't bother emailing...I've been emailing back and forth with Callie (aka the new Courtney) and she simply said I cannot tell you whether there will be more offers in April or not. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
8 minutes ago, SubpoenaColada said:

L2 is 3.8 and LSAT is 158. Did they say when the next round is?

This might be a dumb question, so I am sorry, but a couple friends told me that its frowned upon to email admissions these questions. Is that not true? Thank you for your help as well!

I did and they didn’t get mad at me? I think it’s reasonable to have questions and it’s not like your begging them for a seat your just seeing where they are in the process.

She simply told me the class isn’t full yet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SubpoenaColada
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, Notworthy said:

I did and they didn’t get mad at me? I think it’s reasonable to have questions and it’s not like your begging them for a seat your just seeing where they are in the process.

She simply told me the class isn’t full yet.

Ok, thank you. That makes sense!

 

3 minutes ago, SK1373 said:

I know this response wasn't directed to me buuuut I don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions as long as you are being respectful...they understand we're all under a lot of stress and can appreciate the anxiety brought about by the uncertainty of our situations. Having said that, I wouldn't bother emailing...I've been emailing back and forth with Callie (aka the new Courtney) and she simply said I cannot tell you whether there will be more offers in April or not. 

Thank you! Fingers crossed. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Avidchaidrinker

If we haven't received a decision yet, it is safe to say that no waitlist or acceptance offer will be given? My status still says my application is being reviewed and an updated status will be posted when available. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
8 minutes ago, Avidchaidrinker said:

If we haven't received a decision yet, it is safe to say that no waitlist or acceptance offer will be given? My status still says my application is being reviewed and an updated status will be posted when available. 

No that’s what this entire thread has been trying to say lol. What are your stats? I can tell you your index I’d that gives you some peace of mind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SK1373
  • Applicant
43 minutes ago, Notworthy said:

No that’s what this entire thread has been trying to say lol. What are your stats? I can tell you your index I’d that gives you some peace of mind.

What do you think my chances are with a 3.8 L20 and 159?? I don't think I have a good shot but curious to know what you think 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

existentialdread
  • Applicant

I am also growing impatient and I've said this in a different thread but I will reiterate again: I don't think it's productive to email admissions for updates likes this. They're making decisions as they receive deposits or notice that applicants are rejecting their offers. They can offer little information that will assure such a neurotic bunch of people (myself included). I don't think anyone would hold it against you, but it impedes their ability to do their job and doesn't tell you anything new. Frankly if it were me working on the admissions team, it would probably piss me off to get those emails. 

 

Schools won't divulge how many people they waitlist or how many people they accept. I suspect it varies every year (2021 being a good example) and they do not want applicants making decisions based on the information that they give out as it may not even be accurate. If 5 people bail on their seats the week before classes, then they'll send 5 offers out to waitlisted applicants, and then if 2/5 of those applicants reject their seats they will send out 2 more, etc. I suspect that they themselves can't predict these things. I imagine the waitlist isn't huge, but I am sure it's of ample size to ensure that every single seat is filled come the first day of classes. It has to be big enough that they still have bodies when waitlisted people remove themselves or decline offers. 

 

Just based on the amount of people typically posting, maybe 1/3 of people accepted are posting on this forum and you can probably make similar assumptions about waitlisted applicants. 2021 was a record year and there was probably little to no movement because of that. I don't recall if anybody really posted last year about getting off of it, but there was probably a few people in late August who either changed their plans or got into their dream school after paying the deposit. People who would have typically received offers to 4 schools may have only received 1 offer and that made their choice pretty easy. 

 

I know we are all anxiety ridden because this time of year is typically the "end" of the cycle before waitlisting starts and your chances of admission plummets, but we all gotta just stay calm and ride the wave. 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by existentialdread
words are hard
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
8 minutes ago, existentialdread said:

I am also growing impatient and I've said this in a different thread but I will reiterate again: I don't think it's productive to email admissions for updates likes this. They're making decisions as they receive deposits or notice that applicants are rejecting their offers. They can offer little information that will assure such a neurotic bunch of people (myself included). I don't think anyone would hold it against you, but it impedes their ability to do their job and doesn't tell you anything new. Frankly if it were me working on the admissions team, it would probably piss me off to get those emails. 

 

Schools won't divulge how many people they waitlist or how many people they accept. I suspect it varies every year (2021 being a good example) and they do not want applicants making decisions based on the information that they give out as it may not even be accurate. If 5 people bail on their seats the week before classes, then they'll send 5 offers out to waitlisted applicants, and then if 2/5 of those applicants reject their seats they will send out 2 more, etc. I suspect that they themselves can't predict these things. I imagine the waitlist isn't huge, but I am sure it's of ample size to ensure that every single seat is filled come the first day of classes. It has to be big enough that they still have bodies when waitlisted people remove themselves or decline offers. 

 

Just based on the amount of people typically posting, maybe 1/3 of people accepted are posting on this forum and you can probably make similar assumptions about waitlisted applicants. 2021 was a record year and there was probably little to no movement because of that. I don't recall if anybody really posted last year about getting off of it, but there was probably a few people in late August who either changed their plans or got into their dream school after paying the deposit. People who would have typically received offers to 4 schools may have only received 1 offer and that made their choice pretty easy. 

 

I know we are all anxiety ridden because this time of year is typically the "end" of the cycle before waitlisting starts and your chances of admission plummets, but we all gotta just stay calm and ride the wave. 

 

 

 

 

 

Okay but it’s not you working is it? I get your frustration and a lot of us are in the same boat but if provides an applicant piece of mind and Callie/Courtney are super friendly and even have told me they will be happy to further discuss with me when a verdict is reached what is the harm? You don’t work for the University of Alberta, you don’t have to tell people how to feel and how to act. I’m sorry your still waiting and I feel your pain and anxiety just like everyone else in this forum that doesn’t mean everyone’s response has to follow suit to yours. 
 

I’m not saying everyone should email admissions immediately, or jump ship but your response comes off a bit rude. If it would “piss you off” it’s a good thing it’s not your job.

13 minutes ago, SK1373 said:

What do you think my chances are with a 3.8 L20 and 159?? I don't think I have a good shot but curious to know what you think 

HI! Your index is 3.8*22.5 + 159 = 244.5 typically applicants above 242 are considered competitive so your in a good spot. Again, I can’t comment with certainty but regardless nice work and best of luck!! There’s an accepted historical thread you might want to check out! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

existentialdread
  • Applicant
5 minutes ago, Notworthy said:

Okay but it’s not you working is it? I get your frustration and a lot of us are in the same boat but if provides an applicant piece of mind and Callie/Courtney are super friendly and even have told me they will be happy to further discuss with me when a verdict is reached what is the harm? You don’t work for the University of Alberta, you don’t have to tell people how to feel and how to act. I’m sorry your still waiting and I feel your pain and anxiety just like everyone else in this forum that doesn’t mean everyone’s response has to follow suit to yours. 
 

I’m not saying everyone should email admissions immediately, or jump ship but your response comes off a bit rude. If it would “piss you off” it’s a good thing it’s not your job.

HI! Your index is 3.8*22.5 + 159 = 244.5 typically applicants above 242 are considered competitive so your in a good spot. Again, I can’t comment with certainty but regardless nice work and best of luck!! There’s an accepted historical thread you might want to check out! 

I was not trying to be rude so I apologize if I came off that way, but wow is your response passive aggressive lmfao. 

It is just my opinion and I appreciate everybody is anxious and frustrated with the process but from my POV, asking admissions when you are going to receive an answer is a fruitless exercise and really just disrupts their work. You're trying to squeeze blood from a stone. 

Them saying that they'd be happy to talk to you once a verdict is reached sure sounds like a "go away until you're admitted", which is a completely fair response on their end. Hell, email them everyday if you want, I can't stop you and it's not a crime. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SK1373
  • Applicant
32 minutes ago, Notworthy said:

Okay but it’s not you working is it? I get your frustration and a lot of us are in the same boat but if provides an applicant piece of mind and Callie/Courtney are super friendly and even have told me they will be happy to further discuss with me when a verdict is reached what is the harm? You don’t work for the University of Alberta, you don’t have to tell people how to feel and how to act. I’m sorry your still waiting and I feel your pain and anxiety just like everyone else in this forum that doesn’t mean everyone’s response has to follow suit to yours. 
 

I’m not saying everyone should email admissions immediately, or jump ship but your response comes off a bit rude. If it would “piss you off” it’s a good thing it’s not your job.

HI! Your index is 3.8*22.5 + 159 = 244.5 typically applicants above 242 are considered competitive so your in a good spot. Again, I can’t comment with certainty but regardless nice work and best of luck!! There’s an accepted historical thread you might want to check out! 

Thank you for your response! fingers crossed I hear some good news soon

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

iwannagetaccepted1234
  • Law School Admit
40 minutes ago, Notworthy said:

Okay but it’s not you working is it? I get your frustration and a lot of us are in the same boat but if provides an applicant piece of mind and Callie/Courtney are super friendly and even have told me they will be happy to further discuss with me when a verdict is reached what is the harm? You don’t work for the University of Alberta, you don’t have to tell people how to feel and how to act. I’m sorry your still waiting and I feel your pain and anxiety just like everyone else in this forum that doesn’t mean everyone’s response has to follow suit to yours. 
 

I’m not saying everyone should email admissions immediately, or jump ship but your response comes off a bit rude. If it would “piss you off” it’s a good thing it’s not your job.

HI! Your index is 3.8*22.5 + 159 = 244.5 typically applicants above 242 are considered competitive so your in a good spot. Again, I can’t comment with certainty but regardless nice work and best of luck!! There’s an accepted historical thread you might want to check out! 

I thought that 242 was considered competitive when they averaged LSATS. now that they take your highest score, 242 is likely no longer the competitive cutoff. However, it’s a ballpark and I wish everyone the best , nobody knows for certain

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By accessing this website, you agree to abide by our Terms of Use. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT CONSTRUE ANY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AS PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE EVEN IF SUCH POST IS MADE BY A PERSON CLAIMING TO BE A LAWYER. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.