Most Popular UK Law School to Return Back to Canada

law44

law44
  • Applicant

Hi, 

Just wondering if someone would be able to provide some guidance as to which UK law schools are the most popular for Canadians planning to return to Canada to practice. I've been accepted to a few, and wondering which one I should choose. 

PS: I know the hardships that come with doing a law degree from abroad. I have a Canadian undergraduate and graduate degree and currently work with the federal government, so I'm not overly concerned about my networking and connections due them already being strong. I also participated in a number of Mooting Competitions which has additionally allowed me to grow networks in the legal profession from around Canada. 

Whist
  • Law Student

Leicester, Leeds, and Queens Belfast are all common options, although interesting that you asked "most popular" and not "best." You haven't listed which ones you got into but unless it's Oxford, they're all going to be equally... what they are in terms of returning to Canada. Can't speak on your federal government job so maybe you've got articling promised there somehow, but participating in undergrad mooting competitions or any such competition outside law school isn't a strong legal network. 

• Like 1

BondGuy
  • Lawyer

I had a Canadian grad and undergrad too.  It was still very hard. And a few connections doesn’t make up for the total loss of access to OCI and normal pathways to a legal career in Canada. 

• Like 4

Kimura
  • Lawyer
On 4/14/2022 at 11:53 AM, law44 said:

Hi, 

Just wondering if someone would be able to provide some guidance as to which UK law schools are the most popular for Canadians planning to return to Canada to practice. I've been accepted to a few, and wondering which one I should choose. 

PS: I know the hardships that come with doing a law degree from abroad. I have a Canadian undergraduate and graduate degree and currently work with the federal government, so I'm not overly concerned about my networking and connections due them already being strong. I also participated in a number of Mooting Competitions which has additionally allowed me to grow networks in the legal profession from around Canada. 

Why are you applying to the UK in the first place?

I noticed you applied to UNB and U Sask this cycle. Why not just up your LSAT and reapply?

Do you want to work for the federal government as a lawyer? If so, I think your chances of doing so will be much better if you wait a year, re-write the LSAT and re-apply to Canadian law schools. Landing a gig with the government isn't guaranteed, given that these jobs are some of the most coveted, but your odds will sure as hell be better than if you take off to somewhere in the UK.

Edited by Kimura

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
On 4/14/2022 at 4:53 PM, law44 said:

Hi, 

I saw you made a post about having a 4.0 in your masters, why don’t you look into Dal and UofA they take masters grades counting your last 60 credits. The UK route is definitely a last resort if you can avoid it, that’s a better idea - deferring for another year will not end your career. You might have to take additional courses when you get back going overseas , and you may have more loopholes to get through which will more than make up for the year you think your saving by attending law school this year. Best of luck to you regardless.