1L: Renting a Place or Residence?

SeeYouLaterLitigator

SeeYouLaterLitigator
  • Law School Admit

I am from out-of-province and will most likely be attending USask in the fall.  I was wondering if most 1Ls opt to rent a place in Saskatoon or stay on campus in residence.

legallyblonde101
  • Law School Admit

I'm glad you made this thread because I've been wondering the same thing! I'm from Calgary and I've only ever driven through Saskatoon, so this is an interesting opportunity. I'm nervous about residence because I need a quiet environment to study, and the quieter residences ask for a 12-month agreement. I'm hoping to do my 1L summer internship in Calgary, so I'm not looking to sign a 12-month contract. I'm leaning towards renting a place so that I don't have to worry about parties happening around me while I'm trying to study. Hopefully, I can find a place with a month-to-month contract or an eight-month contract. 

• Like 1

DennisNextDoor
  • Lawyer

I think probably 90 percent of my class rented. Very few lived on campus and even less after 1L. There are a lot of good apartments within a 10 minute bus trip from the college. 

• Like 3

SeeYouLaterLitigator
  • Law School Admit
3 hours ago, legallyblonde101 said:

I'm glad you made this thread because I've been wondering the same thing! I'm from Calgary and I've only ever driven through Saskatoon, so this is an interesting opportunity. I'm nervous about residence because I need a quiet environment to study, and the quieter residences ask for a 12-month agreement. I'm hoping to do my 1L summer internship in Calgary, so I'm not looking to sign a 12-month contract. I'm leaning towards renting a place so that I don't have to worry about parties happening around me while I'm trying to study. Hopefully, I can find a place with a month-to-month contract or an eight-month contract. 

I am from Ontario and have never been to Saskatoon or Saskatchewan for that matter (although I am visiting in May to check out the campus).  I feel you on the quiet aspect. I have also been working for the past few years since finishing my undergrad, so I will be starting as a 25-year-old student and am not exactly looking to relive my 18-year-old first-year res days. My liver and sleep schedule probably couldn't handle it.  Although, I am worried I will have a hard time meeting people if I live by myself in a rental versus if I lived in residence, as I do not know anyone in Saskatchewan.

2 hours ago, DennisNextDoor said:

I think probably 90 percent of my class rented. Very few lived on campus and even less after 1L. There are a lot of good apartments within a 10 minute bus trip from the college. 

Thank you!  This is great to know. By any chance do you remember if there was a Facebook group for the incoming class where people found potential roommates? Ideally, I don't have to live by myself.

• Like 1

SeeYouLaterLitigator
  • Law School Admit
19 hours ago, legallyblonde101 said:

Oh! Not sure if this helps you at all, but I looked into what I would consider to be the quieter res. If you are an upper-year undergrad (which we technically are?) you can apply for 8-month term at Graduate House.  Of course, nothing is guaranteed but could be a nice option if you don't want to commit to a 12-month term or a noisier res.  I took the below from their website under "GH rates" https://livewithus.usask.ca/incomingresidents/ourresidences.php#GraduateHouse:

Graduate House (8 Month Fall/Winter Residence Agreement available to 2nd, 3rd and 4th+ Year Undergraduate Students)

Select Two Bedroom Units (8-month term September to April) - $1,057 per month (paid in 8 monthly installments) 

ROAF (Room Offer Acceptance Fee): Deposit of $1,057 - Equivalent to one month’s rental fee prior to move in. The ROAF payment is required to finalize your unit booking for the fall and will be placed towards your first months rental fees. All rooms are furnished. The above rates include all utilities, managed Wi-Fi and laundry.

RCC/MEAL PLAN INFO: Students living in Graduate House receive 7 Marquis Hall Meals plus an additional $545.57 RCC per term (2 terms). The meal plan and RCC amount is included with the full term rental amounts listed above and are non-refundable and non-transferrable. The RCC can be used at Marquis Hall and all other U of S food services outlets.

*Accommodation priority is given to Graduate students

• Hugs 1

DennisNextDoor
  • Lawyer
17 hours ago, SeeYouLaterLitigator said:

Thank you!  This is great to know. By any chance do you remember if there was a Facebook group for the incoming class where people found potential roommates? Ideally, I don't have to live by myself.

Yes. We had a Facebook group made prior to the start of us getting into school, so I am guessing one should be made for your class over the course of the summer. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
asuddendaze
  • Law School Admit
On 4/19/2022 at 7:46 AM, SeeYouLaterLitigator said:

Oh! Not sure if this helps you at all, but I looked into what I would consider to be the quieter res. If you are an upper-year undergrad (which we technically are?) you can apply for 8-month term at Graduate House.  Of course, nothing is guaranteed but could be a nice option if you don't want to commit to a 12-month term or a noisier res.  I took the below from their website under "GH rates" https://livewithus.usask.ca/incomingresidents/ourresidences.php#GraduateHouse:

Graduate House (8 Month Fall/Winter Residence Agreement available to 2nd, 3rd and 4th+ Year Undergraduate Students)

Select Two Bedroom Units (8-month term September to April) - $1,057 per month (paid in 8 monthly installments) 

ROAF (Room Offer Acceptance Fee): Deposit of $1,057 - Equivalent to one month’s rental fee prior to move in. The ROAF payment is required to finalize your unit booking for the fall and will be placed towards your first months rental fees. All rooms are furnished. The above rates include all utilities, managed Wi-Fi and laundry.

RCC/MEAL PLAN INFO: Students living in Graduate House receive 7 Marquis Hall Meals plus an additional $545.57 RCC per term (2 terms). The meal plan and RCC amount is included with the full term rental amounts listed above and are non-refundable and non-transferrable. The RCC can be used at Marquis Hall and all other U of S food services outlets.

*Accommodation priority is given to Graduate students

Thanks for this information! I'm also from out of province, starting this fall, and will be looking for housing. & I'm ALSO in my later-20s and looking for a more quiet experience. 

That being said, if anyone is looking for a roommate - I could be up for sharing a space with a classmate! 

• Like 1

sarah valentine
  • Applicant

Hi I was just accepted! I'm not from Sask so ideally im looking for a female room mate. Is there anyone else looking for room mates?

• Like 2

Jenavive
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, sarah valentine said:

Hi I was just accepted! I'm not from Sask so ideally im looking for a female room mate. Is there anyone else looking for room mates?

I might be. I'm still looking into accommodations myself.

sarah valentine
  • Applicant

me too 🙂

5 hours ago, Jenavive said:

I might be. I'm still looking into accommodations myself.

me too 🙂

• Like 1

user789
  • Law School Admit

I just applied for residence. I put my preferences as a studio or 1 bedroom, but given how late into the residence application cycle I applied I might be stuck with a 3 or 4 bedroom accommodation, so if someone is applying to residence in collage quarters I would love to have a fellow 1L as a roommate 

asuddendaze
  • Law School Admit
On 5/6/2022 at 11:01 PM, sarah valentine said:

me too 🙂

me too 🙂

I'm looking for a female roommate too! Preferably someone who's looking for a quiet experience lol. 

t3ctonics
  • Lawyer

For those with concerns about a quiet place to study, there are multiple libraries on campus that are open to all students and have quiet areas (including whole floors). I lived off-campus when I was in law school but I spent full-time hours on campus and did 90% of my studying in the libraries. The law library was usually pretty quiet, though sometimes people would talk a bit, usually just on the main floor around lunchtime, and the upper floors of the main Murray library were very quiet and had cubicles giving reasonable privacy. There are also several other libraries on campus (e.g. education, science, health sciences, STM), though I only visited most of them once or twice and don't remember how they are for studying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

janeproc
  • Law School Admit

Renting from a family member! Rent in Saskatoon isn't very expensive and you can get affordable housing pretty easily. I'd skip student rez to be honest because its fairly easy to find places close to the school and that way you aren't 'babysat' by an RA or that kind of bullshit. I grew up partly in Saskatoon and I'm quite familiar with the housing market as I've paid a lot of attention to given that I live in Vancouver now.

honestly I don't think I would be too worried about not meeting people, from the people I know in upper years USask law the community is very collegial and you'll get to know your classmates fairly well.

• Thanks 1