Small Group Program Question

Kobe

Kobe
  • Law Student

Hoping someone can help me understand this. So Western puts you in a group of 25 or less that you take all 1L classes with which seems great and the school mentioned it on my visit. How is this different from other schools? I thought every school had different sections and you take all classes with your section. I am deciding between Queens and Western so wondering how this would be different between the two schools. 

Snax
  • Lawyer

Western’s claim is that this is “unique” because it’s the smallest small group/section. I also don’t know if every law school does something like this, but that’s beside the point. 

It’s not something major and I’m generally of the opinion that they exaggerate it as a selling point, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t find it helpful when everyone is settling in at the beginning of 1L and trying to make friends. 

• Like 1

legalele
  • Law Student

I think most law schools do something like this! My school has 25ish-person small groups. We have one seminar with just the 25 of us, and all other classes together with two other small groups. 

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

FWI UBC's class is divided into 4 1L small groups of about 50 students each, so Western's does sound small to me in a relative sense.

I can't say that would matter to me, but I guess that addresses the question about difference.

• Like 1

Kobe
  • Law Student
42 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

FWI UBC's class is divided into 4 1L small groups of about 50 students each, so Western's does sound small to me in a relative sense.

I can't say that would matter to me, but I guess that addresses the question about difference.

Yes it does. I figured it wasn't a huge difference. Also, won't be deciding based on this or anything but was just trying to picture life at both schools. I wish one campus/city stood out to me more but here we are still considering lol

1 hour ago, Snax said:

Western’s claim is that this is “unique” because it’s the smallest small group/section. I also don’t know if every law school does something like this, but that’s beside the point. 

It’s not something major and I’m generally of the opinion that they exaggerate it as a selling point, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t find it helpful when everyone is settling in at the beginning of 1L and trying to make friends. 

Yea they were keen to tell me how great it is and how it results in career long connections (which I am sure is true no matter where you go). I have a relatively similar thing with my undergrad program where a small group basically takes all the core courses together for two years and I liked that. 

Kurapika
  • Applicant

I was accepted to Queens and they mentioned at a few of their welcome events that they have a small section which is around 25 students per class just like western. I think Western likes to advertise their small section as a positive over other law schools but it seems like others have a small section or something similar to it.

• Like 1

Sparky
  • Law Student

I'm personally of the opinion that the significance of small groups here at Western is not overstated by any means (others who have had different experiences are free to disagree, of course). It's a little more significant than just "put everyone in the same classes and hope they make friends by virtue of seeing similar faces every day". In my view, it actually becomes a fairly significant part of your 1L year.

The whole process starts very early on, where you'll be placed into a group (say, group "A") and receive the names of your other groupmates before o-week begins. You'll create a group chat with each other and exchange introductions - everyone will be very eager to meet new people and begin law school. These are the first people from law school whom you'll speak with, before school even starts. Once orientation week begins, you'll spend a considerable amount of time doing o-week events (read: drinking and socializing) with your group mates. Afterwards, you'll share the same legal writing assignments (which are assigned by your small group professor to your group exclusively) which makes up a huge part of your work load during first semester, and you will all be talking about and helping each other thereon. Of course, the virtues of the shared classes, small group seminar, and January terms already been advertised to you at length. There are also sometimes events throughout the year that create competitions between the various small groups. So really, your small group assignment doesn't just represent the people you'll be seeing day-to-day, but it will almost form a part of your early law school "identity" in a sense - for example, people will ask you what small group you're in to gauge which individuals you would know and whether you have any classes in common, particularly in early days when there aren't many other good ice breakers.

Now, my experience might not be as representative because my 1L year was coloured by the numerous restrictions on socialization that were imposed upon us during the pandemic. But essentially, during that time, my small group mates were the only people I'd see, hang out with, or make plans with. I will say that the significance is felt much less after 1L. But to this day my best friends from law school and the people I go out with the most often are still people from my small group.

• Like 4

beyondsection17
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I'm personally of the opinion that the significance of small groups here at Western is not overstated by any means (others who have had different experiences are free to disagree, of course). It's a little more significant than just "put everyone in the same classes and hope they make friends by virtue of seeing similar faces every day". In my view, it actually becomes a fairly significant part of your 1L year.

I went to Western in the beforetimes and I wholeheartedly agree with this message. It's not simply the case that Western groups 1L students into smaller groups and then schedules their classes together - while that is true, your small group definitely becomes your "home base" throughout your three years at law school, and even in upper years there are events that are a ton of fun that nod to the small group program (e.g. 3YP, if that is still a thing). When I talk to my colleagues who went to Western now, and we're discussing old classmates or professors that we had, we will still reference who the person's small group prof was, or someone we know who was in their small group, etc. It's a thing.

I also remember having friends who went to Osgoode who indicated that they were also split into "sections" and were of the belief that this was the same thing as Western's small group program. I later found out their sections were ~100+ people each and were basically just a class list. All I'm saying is that I don't think Western over-hypes their "community feel" and associated programs (e.g. the small group program) at all. It's part of what gives Western its charm. I don't know whether other schools have realized that this is a good idea and have caught up since I left law school - but Western definitely pioneered this program and they know what they're doing.

• Like 3

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

Agreed with beyondsection17. When I was in 1L the small group profs were encouraged to hangout with their small groups at least once, early in the first term. One group and their prof went bowling, others went out for dinner. You can (if you want) typically build a pretty good connection with your prof. I knew people that ended up asking their prof for information about jobs, interesting 2L classes that would align with their interests, stuff like that. They can be a good supplement to upper year knowledge, and it helps to have the outside of class engagement with them.

As far as general group camaraderie goes, there are definitely people in my small group that I wasn’t particularly close with, but I’m sure if I messaged them looking for something, like a summary or an opinion on a class they took, they’d get back to me, and I’d do the same.

The 25ish class size also means that the class you have with just your small group is more interactive and engaging than the class you have with 100+ people, which can be a nice change of pace once or twice a week.

• Like 3

Kobe
  • Law Student

Thanks everyone! That certainly helps me better understand the small group.

Only a few more days for me to choose so coming down to the wire now.

51 minutes ago, Kobe said:

Thanks everyone! That certainly helps me better understand the small group.

Only a few more days for me to choose so coming down to the wire now.

Which way are you leaning Kobe?

And are you still holding out for Os? If so would you pick Os over those 2?

Kobe
  • Law Student
41 minutes ago, qsizzle said:

Which way are you leaning Kobe?

And are you still holding out for Os? If so would you pick Os over those 2?

I was leaning towards Queens but after visiting Western it's almost a toss up maybe slightly more likely for Western. 

Seems like the placements are a wash with Western being slightly better for Bay and Queens a little bit better in other markets. The business focus and smaller class size is appealing at Western, along with being able to rent a slightly nicer place. I have an exam tomorrow and then I'll spend the weekend to think about it. They are so hard to seperate so may just come down to where I think I would have a more enjoyable 3 years. 

And yes I'd like to get a decision from Osgoode and would accept immediately if I got in. It's close to home, so no rent, and probably the best school (apart from U of T) for my goals. 

Professor Lupin
  • Law Student

Good luck with your decision. I chose Western over Queen's last year and I've had a great time at Western so far.

• Like 1