Chance Me?

KC LAW

KC LAW
  • Applicant

Right Now I plan on applying to UCalgary (Dream School), Dal, Sask (NL Native for favored), Alberta, Manitoba, TRU, Windsor, and Ottawa

Currently completing a Business degree majoring in Marketing and Management with a Poli Sci minor at SMU

L2: 3.85/4.0 (According to UCalgary Calculations)

LSAT: PTing around 165 RN, most likely will score 161-163 range with test day penalty (Read about it online with nerves etc)

EC's: Volunteer experience with multiple charities (Alzheimer's Society, Mary's Meals, both over 5 Months of commitment (Left Alzheimer's society due to their office hours being during class times, Mary's Meals has a lot of events which was easier to schedule around)

Work Experience: Had a Few Years of Full-Time work experience (Worked full-time/Part-time for specific weeks where managers had issues with scheduling or had vacation/sick days so worked full-time and part-time and the same time if that makes sense.

I already have a written essay regarding how my Grandmothers death and issues of being away from home while it happened really affected my first few terms of school, as I was extremely close to her and wasn't able to be there while her health was deteriorating, it made me not care about school at all tbh. So I wrote about it to help explain why I was able to turn around my GPA from what it was in my first few semesters (My GPA was like a 1.2-1.8 CGPA for my first 3 full semesters).

What would you guys say my chances are?

CipherEvice
  • Law Student

It will really depend on your LSAT. If you get a 165 like you're PTing right now, I'd say you're in for sure, but if you did get down to 161 you might get accepted or might be waitlisted then accepted or waitlisted then rejected. UoC can be hard to predict but I don't see them turning down a 3.85 165 so hopefully you do well on your LSAT! Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
Albertaapplicant
  • Law School Admit

My LSAT score and GPA is really similar (161 and 3.84), and I applied to both University of Calgary and University of Alberta. My practice tests varied from 161-165, but they have an option to buy a preview for your test grade. So the first time you take the test, you can pay to be able to see your grade and have it erased from your record if you don't like what you see (I think they recently started this). This kind of seems like a money grab, but it helped me so much with nerves even though both UofA and UofC would just take your highest score anyways. I just wanted to bring that up because it is something that reduced my test day penalty.

For UofC, they look at everything you have done basically and evaluate you (plus your whole life story). I was in early ish at UofC (Feb 4), and then I just got in at UofA yesterday (May 17). I wasn't sure if I would get in at UofA with my LSAT score.

I think you would have pretty good chances at getting in to at least some of those schools. That seems like a lot of work and money for the application process though, so I would just make sure you are prepared for that. I spent 8 hours writing my University of Calgary application and when I started it, I was thinking it would be like 20 min. (like the University of Alberta one). If you had any extra time, I would do more extracurriculars for the uofc application. It could be some extra research project that there is an opportunity to participate in, any award you get can go on the application, participation in student groups, bringing something from a hobby to the community, etc. 

This is just my experience with the admission process this year for UofC and UofA. Maybe it could help you see what your chances would be with those two schools, but every cycle is different.