SUGGESTION

qsizzle

Maybe a pinned scholarship section for each school?

Students that receive scholarships/bursaries etc can post their stats/reception to help inform others of the standards. 

Might not be a great idea because those sorts of things would tend to “out” posters in terms of their offline identities. 

13 hours ago, Hegdis said:

Might not be a great idea because those sorts of things would tend to “out” posters in terms of their offline identities. 

True. Worse case they don't post anything if they are afraid of that.

Also, posts could be bare bones to keep anonymous status.

IE: "received scholarship. Value-greater than 5k. 3.9gpa 162LSAT. good softs."

Personally, I'd rather have that little amount of info than nothing at all.

Edited by qsizzle

@qsizzle you can edit your post by hitting the “…” menu and selecting the edit option. Posting again will just combine your posts like you see above. 

• Hugs 1

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
23 hours ago, qsizzle said:

Maybe a pinned scholarship section for each school?

Students that receive scholarships/bursaries etc can post their stats/reception to help inform others of the standards. 

Scholarships and particularly bursaries are so subjective. More so than admissions.

Someone may be a single parent. Someone may have a disability. Excellent grades. Decent grades. Passable grades. Volunteer experience. Work history. Areas of interest. Life experience. Belong to a particular minority community. Their parents belong to a professional association. 10,001 reasons. 

It will out people and I am not sure how helpful it will be when it is all so subjective. 

6 minutes ago, GoBigOrGoHome said:

Someone may be a single parent. Someone may have a disability. Excellent grades. Decent grades. Passable grades. Volunteer experience. Work history. Areas of interest. Life experience. Belong to a particular minority community. Their parents belong to a professional association. 10,001 reasons. 

This sounds excatly like admissions to me.

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
22 minutes ago, qsizzle said:

This sounds excatly like admissions to me.

I agree with admissions taking these things into consideration but not to the level that they would be considered in financial awards (but I am in BC around index based schools)

17 minutes ago, GoBigOrGoHome said:

I agree with admissions taking these things into consideration but not to the level that they would be considered in financial awards (but I am in BC around index based schools)

Fair enough. All my point is that not having this feature because it may make someone become outted seems very parental. It should be a recipients choice to share if they wish, and what information they share.

To the 2nd point about subjectivity, I agree there is a large portion of subjectivity in scholarships and finance. However, look at Osgoode's acceptance procedure. It is very holistic and subjective as well. Imagine not having an accepted thread due to its holistic process and greater subjectivity. Instead, we do have it, and it is beneficial to many people who view it. And each individual chooses the amount of information they share, as well as subjective factors if they wish.

In conclusion, to deny a service because of its subjectivity is moot, because essentially a vast majority of this entire site is run on subjective decisions. With this added service we allow more individuals more information to help their law school journey, which is the intention of this site and why I support it. Why did someone get into Osgoode with a 2.7/154? I'll never know the subjective reasons, but now I know it's possible. And with that possibility comes hope that it's possible for others too. Something this scholarship idea may provide to others.

Edited by qsizzle