Any advice for students interested in pursuing a Crown career?

Gamgee

Gamgee
  • Law Student

Hi All,

I'll be starting law school in the fall and I've been considering what kind of law I would be interested in practicing in the future. The idea of Crown work (specifically criminal, but also open to other types I'm unaware of) stands out for me and hoping to solicit some advice from people who are Crowns or have articled/worked in the field. Some questions below but also just interested in general thoughts/advice!

• What courses did you take in law school that you feel are important? 
  • Any extracurriculars or activities you would recommend? 
  • Are there crown summer student roles and what is the timeline like for articling? 
  • How competitive is the process, compared to other paths (i.e. big law)?
  • What's a day in the life like, how is work-life balance? 
  • And anything unexpected or you wish you knew when starting law school? 

Appreciate any feedback received! Thank you 🙂

• Like 2

Gamgee
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

Thank you so much for the incredibly detailed response! It's given me a lot to think about, and the point about wrongful conviction work to understand the gravity of the work makes a lot of sense. I'll be studying in BC and hope to work in the province in the future, your points on BC and how there's differences between provinces is helpful & greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, RUIQ said:

Thank you so much for the incredibly detailed response! It's given me a lot to think about, and the point about wrongful conviction work to understand the gravity of the work makes a lot of sense. I'll be studying in BC and hope to work in the province in the future, your points on BC and how there's differences between provinces is helpful & greatly appreciated!

No worries. Your OP motivated me to create an account here, for what it's worth. I can't decide whether to thank you for that or not. haha 

BC MAG hires a few 2L summer students but that's for the Legal Services Branch doing civil stuff. They hire their Crown criminal articling students during 2L summers (actually in terms of the timeline, someone I know who is heading into 3L next fall received an offer for that yesterday). So something like a DOJ or crim defence summer job in the summers would be worth considering if you want to gain relevant experience to make you a strong candidate and build up relevant knowledge. I also know someone who summered with the AB Crown then articled with the BC MAG (again since AB actually hires Crown criminal summer students, and they have separate competitions for summer students and articling students rather than automatic hirebacks, so there is no obligation to stick around).

• Like 4

Gamgee
  • Law Student

Haha, for what it's worth I'm thankful you've made an account & happy I played a part in it 😋

That's good to know, would be open to move around provinces to get relevant experience. Otherwise, I would assume getting a crim defence summer job would be better than a BC MAG summer role doing civil stuff, since it's more relevant experience? 

• Thanks 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
Just now, RUIQ said:

Haha, for what it's worth I'm thankful you've made an account & happy I played a part in it 😋

That's good to know, would be open to move around provinces to get relevant experience. Otherwise, I would assume getting a crim defence summer job would be better than a BC MAG summer role doing civil stuff, since it's more relevant experience? 

I'm sure either one of those would look good on a resume and help you get hired, but yeah, a crim defence job would definitely be more directly relevant.

Beyond that, there's a not uncommon perception in this field that defence-trained Crowns are a good thing, that the best criminal lawyers are capable of doing Crown or defence work, and that it's ideal for a criminal lawyer to do both in their career if possible to become more well-rounded, understand the roles better, and develop some empathy for the thought process and interests involved in the other role (which in turn makes one more persuasive in negotiations, etc). I'd definitely recommend trying on both hats.

• Thanks 3

Gamgee
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I'm sure either one of those would look good on a resume and help you get hired, but yeah, a crim defence job would definitely be more directly relevant.

Beyond that, there's a not uncommon perception in this field that defence-trained Crowns are a good thing, that the best criminal lawyers are capable of doing Crown or defence work, and that it's ideal for a criminal lawyer to do both in their career if possible to become more well-rounded, understand the roles better, and develop some empathy for the thought process and interests involved in the other role (which in turn makes one more persuasive in negotiations, etc). I'd definitely recommend trying on both hats.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks again @CleanHands!

PCCL
  • Lawyer

I was a crown articling student in a small city in central/northern BC, so I don't imagine my experiences generalize very well, but if that's something you're interested in let me know and I'll write something up

• Thanks 1
  • Nom! 4

Gamgee
  • Law Student

Thanks @Hegdis, will try to follow that advice and find those opportunities. Especially with lockdowns & limited social interaction, recognizing I've been even more isolated from everything (privileged). 

30 minutes ago, PCCL said:

I was a crown articling student in a small city in central/northern BC, so I don't imagine my experiences generalize very well, but if that's something you're interested in let me know and I'll write something up

That would be great @PCCL, I'm definitely open to the possibility of relocating in the future and would greatly value your experiences/perspective, thank you!

Gamgee
  • Law Student

Thanks @razraini! You bring up a lot of great points and even more food for thought, the rural office perspective is greatly appreciated! I had not thought about the reluctance of even complainants to show up, in that context it makes sense.

PCCL
  • Lawyer

Yeah, I think razraini covers the small town experience really well and what I say would be likely redundant.

It's tough work, but can be very fulfilling.

• Like 2

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer

What school are you attending? Look out for the intensive programs and/or other opportunities like clerkships or legal aid clinic placements. There is a lot of good advice above. The only things I'd like to add is that you should remain open to the possibility that you could end up on the defence side for some time, and that's OK.

Take it from me - I went through law school determined to be Crown. I worked at a Crown's office (crim law policy branch) in 1L summer and interviewed at the regular Crown offices for 2L summer. I kept being told how great I was but that I was #2 on their list and they only had one position. The competition was intense because they are coveted positions with substantive, challenging interviews to get through. It was a gruelling spring of rejections. Then I ended up at a defence firm that summer and loved it. I decided not to bother with articling interviews at Crown offices again and stuck around the same firm for my articles. I was still disappointed not to be in a Crown's office, but I found the defence work stimulating and rewarding, and I liked the variety of meeting with clients, going to various courthouses, and dealing with everything in between.

It also always stuck with me that in a particularly intense Crown interview - after giving a solid answer about a Court of Appeal or SCC case I had to argue was wrongly decided, they asked me a nice softball question: Why do you want to be a Crown? My answer was something alone the lines of wanting to be part of something greater and protecting the public, the integrity of the judicial system, and to see justice done, in a way that only a self-righteous 2L student could answer... I told them I thought I could make a difference to people's everyday lives and protect those unable to do so themselves by being a Crown and that I had a strong moral compass and understood the difference between right and wrong. Then the cantankerous senior Crown just looked at me and said, aren't those all reasons to become a defence lawyer? I obviously didn't agree in the moment but it got me thinking later that he may have been right. I've been both a Crown and defence lawyer and I can't say he's wrong. I mean, he's not right either. That jerk.

My point is - it's OK to go into law school with the mindset that you want to be a Crown. But let your passions develop and see where it takes you. You could start at a defence firm like me, then spend several years doing Federal Prosecutions and then go back to defence work and shift away from criminal law to administrative and regulatory law. I know several lawyers who started on one side and then moved to the other after a few years of practice. It's more important you develop your advocacy and substantive law skills and then see where the opportunities take you. 

Happy to answer any questions you have but, until then, Good luck!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Gamgee
  • Law Student

Thanks for the different perspective @Vizslaw, your point about keeping options open and not arbitrarily close off doors makes sense, at the moment I'm more naturally drawn to the crown work but of course I have no experience and it's likely I may change my mindset after going through law school. I'll be attending UVic, hoping to get a chance in 2L/3L to do the legal clinic there.  

Eager to just get involved in criminal law whether in a defence firm or prosecution and will keep an open mind! 

• Like 1