General category applicants still waiting???

gavemecookiegotyoucookie

gavemecookiegotyoucookie
  • Applicant

I've seen a lot of discretionary applicants posting about still waiting for a result, - due to their more robust applications - but not a whole lot of general applicants. I'm wondering if this means that us general applicants will be waitlisted or rejected or something??? Has anyone actually received a rejection yet?

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
12 minutes ago, gavemecookiegotyoucookie said:

I've seen a lot of discretionary applicants posting about still waiting for a result, - due to their more robust applications - but not a whole lot of general applicants. I'm wondering if this means that us general applicants will be waitlisted or rejected or something??? Has anyone actually received a rejection yet?

Nope. I called a couple weeks ago. Was told that they haven’t decided yet. Could go either way. Could find out soon. Someone general tho was accepted last week. 

fingerscrossed
  • Law School Admit

I'm still waiting too! You are not alone. Hopefully they'll get back to us in the next couple of weeks. 

saltshaker111
  • Law School Admit
17 minutes ago, gavemecookiegotyoucookie said:

Has anyone actually received a rejection yet?

I know of one applicant that applied in November and was rejected in February. They told me they didn't want to post because they knew their application was a long shot and they didn't want to be put down by others for applying. So yeah, it seems some rejections have gone out already.

law000099
  • Law School Admit

Acceptances are going to be one out, one in, as applicants decline UBC. UBC has made more than enough offers to fill seats (spoke to the office). 

• Thanks 1

Probablynot
15 minutes ago, AustonMatthews34 said:

Acceptances are going to be one out, one in, as applicants decline UBC. UBC has made more than enough offers to fill seats (spoke to the office). 

Not saying this is inaccurate, but it would seem odd that they would have filled their class without analysing any non-general candidates, or without many rejections (that we know of). Just leaves a massive pool of potential candidates for them to sift through as offers are declined; which is why schools make waitlist.

shashi
  • Applicant
28 minutes ago, AustonMatthews34 said:

Is this for the general category only?

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
13 minutes ago, Probablynot said:

Not saying this is inaccurate, but it would seem odd that they would have filled their class without analysing any non-general candidates, or without many rejections (that we know of). Just leaves a massive pool of potential candidates for them to sift through as offers are declined; which is why schools make waitlist.

It would make sense that they do that and make their jobs easier if they only evaluate transcripts for everyone who applies, and then sort highest to lowest index and review personal statements of those people only. 

This would mean that they definitely have not finished exploring implementation of broad based admissions outside of the discretionary category. I could see them attempting to do broad based admissions if the range of people that they evaluate have lower index scores than what we typically see in admissions. 

Well it will be interesting to get an answer as to how this cycle was assessed when this is all done.

law000099
  • Law School Admit
50 minutes ago, Probablynot said:

not sure tbh, just what i was told. There is still a chance and this only applies to general i think, not discretionary. 

Patient0L
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, shashi said:

Is this for the general category only?

I believe that, with the exception of the discretionary candidates who ended up being competitive in general and thus moved into the general stream, there are 20 spots reserved specifically for discretionary candidates.  These are evaluated after the general pool is sorted out.