When is a good time to secure a lease for a place to live?

AutumnVibe

AutumnVibe
  • Law School Admit

I've been looking into a place to stay in London but the options are looking quite slim. I want to know when would be an opportune time to secure a lease before starting 1L? 
Also if you have any recommendations on which areas would be the best to live in and which rental management companies I should avoid?  
Thanks!

goosie
  • Lawyer

This thread might be helpful:

On 3/23/2022 at 10:11 AM, crispratt said:

Hey everyone, 

I'll be a 1L in the fall and am trying to figure out how to find housing for next year and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I know I want to live with 1-2 other people and definitely in Old North. 

I've been directed to the Off Campus Housing website ran by Western but am not sure if there are any others available/that are helpful. 

Also what about timeline? When did you sign a lease/was there a lot of inventory left?

Thanks in advance!

Also the Class of 2025 Facebook group should have a spreadsheet uploaded in it of a bunch of different buildings with their distance from the law building and other details like that - it's probably pretty out of date since it's 3 or 4 years old, but still a good starting point.

I always recommend Cherryhill as an area to live in, especially if you won't have a car (quiet, bus straight to/from the law school goes through the Minto apartment complex, Metro, Shoppers, TD & Scotia all there).

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

+1 to Cherryhill for sure. In addition to the above, rent seemed more reasonably priced there (if not outright cheaper, a better balance between what you’re paying and what you’re getting)