Video-conferencing and in-office backlight

AHLALA

AHLALA
  • Lawyer

I work in BigLaw in a downtown firm. My office is pretty standard: a small room with shelf space, a large window and a desk opposite the window. 

Video calls when I am in the office are really bad because of the backlight. When it is sunny outside, even with the curtain closed, my face is barely visible which is not ideal.

I am curious to hear if other offices have similar problems and whether you have seen solutions for this admittedly first-world problem (e.g. additional lamps, thicker curtains...).

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

You can buy a light that attaches to the monitor and faces towards you. I forget what it's called, but it's typically circle shaped, I think, and designed specifically for that issue. I was looking into getting one since I have a similar issue (except my blinds don't close). In the end, I was able to move my desk so it sits adjacent to the window and not at my back which solved the problem, so I never bought the light. But they are out there as an option.

Patient0L
  • Law Student

In a pinch, you can put a either big piece of aluminum foil or a white three ring binder next to your monitor. Either one will bounce the backlight onto you, illuminating your face. A white bounce is more flattering.

BuckDancer
  • Lawyer

Get a ring light that plugs into your computer via usb and clips onto your monitor. It will also make your skin look glowy and beautiful. You can get one on amazing for $20-$30. 

AHLALA
  • Lawyer

Thanks for the answers ! I guess my question was more about whether you knew of any other firms who did something about that, like redesigned the individual offices or made these ring light part of the default electronic set-up of the offices.

AllWellAndGood
  • Lawyer
On 4/26/2022 at 9:44 AM, AHLALA said:

Thanks for the answers ! I guess my question was more about whether you knew of any other firms who did something about that, like redesigned the individual offices or made these ring light part of the default electronic set-up of the offices.

I know a big law office here in Van where ring lights are somewhat common. Not mine, but a similar firm. I personally considered getting one myself but haven't bit the bullet yet. Your post reminded me and I may just do that. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I just got a small desk lamp that sits next to my monitor and that's fine. I had to push it a little over my monitor to light both sides of my face, but it works.

AHLALA
  • Lawyer
On 4/25/2023 at 8:56 PM, JessAnderson said:

I used to work in a similar space, and it was always frustrating when the lighting was  just not on my side. One thing that helped me was adding additional lighting to my workspace. I found that using LED strip lights behind my monitor made a huge difference in how well I was seen during video calls. I got my LED strip kit from https://ledmontreal.com/led-strip-kits/ and it was super easy to install. In addition to the lighting, thicker curtains could definitely help too. You could also try using a ring light or a small lamp to brighten up your face during calls. It may seem like a small issue, but it can really make a difference in how you come across to others during important meetings

I'd really interested to see what it looks like in practice ! I'm surprised that a LED strip can give light to offset the backlight coming from a window. 

Would you mind sharing a picture of the set up ? Feel free to reach out by DM or otherwise.