UBC vs Osgoode.

theroaringbadger

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit

I know the advice is go to the school of the province you want to practice in. Which in this case is back to ON - specifically Toronto. 

interested in working in environmental (with construction) in a corporate law firm for a few years before setting up my own practice (hopefully). 

Only reasons I’m considering UBC is that I like the environmental law faculty (Oz is good too but UBC is a bit more diverse), I can do 2 clinics (International Human rights and Corporate advisory) plus the Centre for Law and Environment. 

But Oz has the networking benefits of Toronto and has an amazing EJS clinic. And obviously I’ve heard great things about the school and faculty. I also know that Oz has an amazing Transnational Human Rights and Crime centre but have no idea if students can be involved. If someone knows that would be great and would definitely help me! 

My biggest concern of UBC is networking and losing a bunch of contacts after law school other than the handful who actually want to go back to TO. 

In short, tuition  aside, is it nsane for even considering UBC or is going to UBC you think fine in the long run  I’m being torn apart lol 

Edited by theroaringbadger

Damages
  • Lawyer

In your case, my advice is go to Osgoode. I would consider experiential learning opportunities and courses offered at school only as a tie breaker. You want to practice law in Toronto (probably biglaw) or nearby in Ontario following graduation. Osgoode would prepare you for that goal much better than UBC.

Edited by Damages
  • Like 2

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
13 hours ago, Damages said:

In your case, my advice is go to Osgoode. I would consider experiential learning opportunities and courses offered at school only as a tie breaker. You want to practice law in Toronto (probably biglaw) or nearby in Ontario following graduation. Osgoode would prepare you for that goal much better than UBC.

Ok then. Thanks! Osgoode it is then! 

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

Seconding Osgoode. Both are great schools, so your decision should really come down to where you want to practice. 

If there is a prof at UBC offering a course you are dying to take and feel you absolutely cannot miss out on, you can always consider obtaining a letter of permission and coming to UBC for a semester to take it. 

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
On 4/29/2022 at 4:06 PM, pastmidnight said:

Seconding Osgoode. Both are great schools, so your decision should really come down to where you want to practice. 

If there is a prof at UBC offering a course you are dying to take and feel you absolutely cannot miss out on, you can always consider obtaining a letter of permission and coming to UBC for a semester to take it. 

Ahh. I didn’t even think of that. Thanks!