What areas of law does UCalgary specialize in?

lawstudentthree

lawstudentthree
  • Law Student

I'm wondering what areas of law UCalgary is "known for"/what areas they "specialize" in? I know that UCalgary is known for environmental law, but any other insight would be helpful. 

Thank you!

Whist
  • Law Student

I’ve never heard of UofC being known for environmental law. It offers a lot of oil and gas/energy law courses comparatively, so it’s good at priming its students for working in that industry in Calgary.

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit
9 minutes ago, Whist said:

I’ve never heard of UofC being known for environmental law. It offers a lot of oil and gas/energy law courses comparatively, so it’s good at priming its students for working in that industry in Calgary.

How have you not heard of this. UofC even offers a separate program recognized as a significant contributor or educating students on sustainability 

https://grad.ucalgary.ca/future-students/explore-programs/natural-resources-energy-and-environmental-law-cert

there’s also a few courses in the J.D. program that are in environmental law 

Whist
  • Law Student
42 minutes ago, Notworthy said:

How have you not heard of this. UofC even offers a separate program recognized as a significant contributor or educating students on sustainability 

https://grad.ucalgary.ca/future-students/explore-programs/natural-resources-energy-and-environmental-law-cert

there’s also a few courses in the J.D. program that are in environmental law 

I've never heard of it because in terms of environmental law, people tend to look to other schools like UVic (they have an environmental law clinic). This UofC certification is also something taken after getting a JD from anywhere, so no need to weigh why someone would want to do a JD at UofC based on that program. But you're correct that their JD does offer options for natural resources/environmental law outside of oil and gas. 

Edited by Whist

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

It’s not exactly what people think of when they think environmental law to be fair.

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Rashabon said:

It’s not exactly what people think of when they think environmental law to be fair.

While true, I never understood this. You can't get any energy projects built without knowing the regs, so it seems natural that the energy law school knows them the best. I would say, to OP, that there's a pretty big focus on aboriginal law as well for the same reason.

• Like 1