HYS?

EP1775

EP1775
  • Applicant

Hi all, 

Would someone interested in potentially returning to Canada be at a disadvantage if they attended Stanford over Harvard and Yale all other things being equal? In the US the schools are seen as roughly comparable (with Stanford generally seen as a little more prestigious than Harvard these days but less so than Yale), but I can find few Canadian grads from S compared to H and Y. 

Obviously there are no bad choices here, but a tough choice requires splitting very fine hairs! 

gglaw
  • Applicant

I don't think it would be a negative, but I don't see it is a as a positive unless you get a full ride. If you plan on potentially returning to Canada, I do not think that the price tag is worth it because you won't be more competitive than someone from UofT or Oz for example. Just what I have heard from various forums! 

EP1775
  • Applicant
19 minutes ago, gglaw said:

I don't think it would be a negative, but I don't see it is a as a positive unless you get a full ride. If you plan on potentially returning to Canada, I do not think that the price tag is worth it because you won't be more competitive than someone from UofT or Oz for example. Just what I have heard from various forums! 

That's the sense I've gotten overall, but would there be any difference between the HYS schools? I'd mostly want to keep the option open of returning to Canada even if its not my primary intention. But there seems to be far more H and Y grads in Canada than Stanford grads. My assumption was that this was mostly a product of geography and Stanford's small size, but I was curious whether that would put a S grad at a disadvantage vs H or Y if they tried to return. Of it would simply be a wash?

Edited by EP1775

AHappyLawyer
  • Lawyer

Stanford has plenty of lay person prestige and no one in the legal industry will scoff at your Stanford Law degree. SLS is a good choice if you're geared towards technology, innovation and the law. Of course, plenty of people end up at big firms too. And the weather doesn't hurt. 

It will not be harder returning to Canada vis a vis a Harvard or Yale degree. I suspect the reason you don't see many SLS back in Canada is because the class size is much smaller, it's super competitive, and any residual Canadians left over may just want to stay in California. 

If you actually have Yale, Harvard, and Stanford acceptances in hand, you're probably highly motivated and don't need advice from random people on a forum regarding your goals. Assuming you can afford the schools with a combo of loans/funds, please go for it. Finances are a big factor, don't get me wrong, but there's so much more to life than gunning for some Toronto firm on an ROI calculation.

- Canadian currently living in California.

• Like 1

EP1775
  • Applicant
On 5/4/2022 at 4:36 PM, AHappyLawyer said:

Stanford has plenty of lay person prestige and no one in the legal industry will scoff at your Stanford Law degree. SLS is a good choice if you're geared towards technology, innovation and the law. Of course, plenty of people end up at big firms too. And the weather doesn't hurt. 

It will not be harder returning to Canada vis a vis a Harvard or Yale degree. I suspect the reason you don't see many SLS back in Canada is because the class size is much smaller, it's super competitive, and any residual Canadians left over may just want to stay in California. 

If you actually have Yale, Harvard, and Stanford acceptances in hand, you're probably highly motivated and don't need advice from random people on a forum regarding your goals. Assuming you can afford the schools with a combo of loans/funds, please go for it. Finances are a big factor, don't get me wrong, but there's so much more to life than gunning for some Toronto firm on an ROI calculation.

- Canadian currently living in California.

Thanks. Debating between H & S. Leaning towards S in large part because California living seems pretty nice....

Conge
  • Lawyer

I suspect it's because they never leave California after graduating. Ever been there? It's beautiful, especially compared to Mass. or CT in the winter. 

AHappyLawyer
  • Lawyer
17 hours ago, EP1775 said:

Thanks. Debating between H & S. Leaning towards S in large part because California living seems pretty nice....

Splitting hairs. You're smart and you'll figure it out. Go where ever you get more scholarship money. Otherwise, go visit both campuses and decide. 

Patient0L
  • Law Student
On 5/4/2022 at 1:36 PM, AHappyLawyer said:

there's so much more to life than gunning for some Toronto firm on an ROI calculation

This. Only a lucky few have access to this caliber of education. If you really don't like the elite opportunities afforded to you, you can always come back to Toronto.

18 hours ago, EP1775 said:

Leaning towards S in large part because California living seems pretty nice...

Highly recommend living in California!

• 2 weeks later...
PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer

I'd go to Yale and wouldn't hesitate, unless financially there's a consideration. 

Not like you can't move to California with a Yale degree.

EP1775
  • Applicant
On 5/17/2022 at 2:48 PM, PzabbytheLawyer said:

I'd go to Yale and wouldn't hesitate, unless financially there's a consideration. 

Not like you can't move to California with a Yale degree.

Y not an option. Debating between H and S. 

PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer
40 minutes ago, EP1775 said:

Y not an option. Debating between H and S. 

That's a bit harder. I think if you want to work internationally, Harvard might still be better known. But I really don't know enough other than Yale seems to be the holy grail of US law.

I heard some US firms prefer to hire from Harvard. I have not heard of firms saying they prefer to hire from Standford. 

Also consider the classic advice of where you want to live (during school and after).

EP1775
  • Applicant
9 hours ago, Ramesses said:

I heard some US firms prefer to hire from Harvard. I have not heard of firms saying they prefer to hire from Standford. 

Also consider the classic advice of where you want to live (during school and after).

I think that's old wisdom at this point. My sense these days is that Stanford is held in slightly higher regard than HLS (if only because Stanford is much smaller so its grads are a rarer commodity). 

Edited by EP1775