Transfer Thread

newbie99

newbie99
  • Law Student

Feel free to share your 1L stats, where you're planing on applying to transfer, etc.

Many schools plan to send out acceptances around June and July and hopefully people could share future news on this thread.

ED31
  • Applicant

Don't know my GPA because of conversions but 77 average in 1L coming from an international school. Applied to Windsor and Queens. Strong references from 3 legal professors and from a lawyer (currently working in a mid sized criminal law firm in downtown Toronto) working full time throughout 1L. 

Edited by ED31

frenchie
  • Law Student

B+ 1L average from atlantic law school and applying to ontario law schools 

• 3 weeks later...
Taiko
  • Law Student

A- 1L average. Applying to UofT, Osgoode, Queens. Currently at another Ontario school. Applying on compassionate grounds.

Edited by Taiko

U of T does not accept transfer on compassionate grounds. I am going to one of Ottawa/Osgoode and have researched transferring to Toronto. See below.

Selection
Admission to transfer into the second year of our JD program is based on a holistic assessment of a candidate’s profile, including undergraduate record (and, if applicable, graduate work), LSAT score, first year JD or LLB grades from a common law school, and a personal statement.  

The Admissions Committee will take into account the differences in the quality of the law schools, as well as differences in grading policies, etc. Unless this is evident from the transcript, applicants are encouraged to support their applications with information from their law school Registrar or Dean on the grading practices at their law school and to provide their class ranking, if available.

Some applicants have compassionate grounds for seeking admission. As the Admissions Committee finds it extremely difficult to choose among deserving compassionate reasons, selection is not based on these factors.

Transfer applications will only be reviewed after the application deadline, and thenceforth after all application documentation has been received. Decisions are made on a rolling basis.

Fiddler
  • Articling Student

I'm not sure if the reason you posted this article was because of the statistics, but I would like to comment on the tone of the article (the talk about "transfer animosity.")

I transferred from Western to U of T this past year, and I have found both schools welcoming, collegial and supportive. It's law school, so of course there's the regular pressure/stress around grades, ECs, recruit etc., but I have never had the impression from any other student that they think transfers didn't "earn it" or whatever.

This article is 8 years old  so maybe that's part of it. Still I suspect that even back then the author (if they espoused these views themselves) was just a tryhard dweeb who cared way more about prestige than anyone else in their class, and I would hope the article was received with the same eyerolls in 2014 that it deserves today.

Edited by cowtail
  • Like 2

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, cowtail said:

I'm not sure if the reason you posted this article was because of the statistics, but I would like to comment on the tone of the article (the talk about "transfer animosity.")

I transferred from Western to U of T this past year, and I have found both schools welcoming, collegial and supportive. It's law school, so of course there's the regular pressure/stress around grades, ECs, recruit etc., but I have never had the impression from any other student that they think transfers didn't "earn it" or whatever.

This article is 8 years old  so maybe that's part of it. Still I suspect that even back then the author (if they espoused these views themselves) was just a tryhard dweeb who cared way more about prestige than anyone else in their class, and I would hope the article was received with the same eyerolls in 2014 that it deserves today.

It reads like the kind of thing a bottom of the class UofT student would write to try to justify still feeling some superiority towards some of their peers. lol

• Like 4

Fiddler
  • Articling Student
2 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

It reads like the kind of thing a bottom of the class UofT student would write to try to justify still feeling some superiority towards some of their peers. lol

Right? I'm done 1L who can I gatekeep now? I would hope this kind of crap doesn't discourage someone from transferring if U of T suits their goals or is closer to home or whatever. 

Taiko
  • Law Student

@cowtail I'm happy to hear that this has not been your experience at all.  The article did have me a little concerned.

I am curious though whether you felt, as a  transfer student, that you were disadvantaged during the 2L OCI process. For example, did recruiters feel that your grades from another school were not directly comparable to your peers who had completed 1L at UofT?

Also, it seems that many 2L opportunities (e.g. Law Review, invitation only courses, TA positions, etc.) must be applied for over the summer. Did you find that these opportunities were still available to you in 2L, or did you miss out on them by transferring?

Fiddler
  • Articling Student
5 minutes ago, Taiko said:

@cowtail I'm happy to hear that this has not been your experience at all.  The article did have me a little concerned.

I am curious though whether you felt, as a  transfer student, that you were disadvantaged during the 2L OCI process. For example, did recruiters feel that your grades from another school were not directly comparable to your peers who had completed 1L at UofT?

Also, it seems that many 2L opportunities (e.g. Law Review, invitation only courses, TA positions, etc.) must be applied for over the summer. Did you find that these opportunities were still available to you in 2L, or did you miss out on them by transferring?

I can't speak to the recruit as I didn't do 2L OCIs. Regarding opportunities within the school, definitely some had passed. But competitive molting was still available and I believe law review applications in 2L were after transfer.

I mean at the end of the day, transferring of course is not the preferred/most common way to end up at any given school, so there will be drawbacks that are totally unavoidable. That said, if your reasons for transferring are more important than one or another extra curricular opportunity then it's a no brainer. If you're thinking of transferring just because you want to go to X school over your current school (maybe for that sweet sweet prestige) then missing out on those opportunities could weigh more heavily because that limits what you can get out of your destination school a bit.

• Thanks 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, cowtail said:

But competitive molting was still available

Tell me more...

• LOL 1

Fiddler
  • Articling Student
33 minutes ago, Pantalaimon said:

Tell me more...

Whoever sheds their outer skin more intact wins

• LOL 1

boxesoforanges
  • Law Student

79% average hoping to transfer to Osgoode (probably wont be enough for U of T). I have no idea of this is good enough. Coming from ON law school.

Edited by boxesoforanges
  • Like 3

ccounsel2024
  • Law Student

Accepted to UVic. Didn't know they start giving offers so early in the month, but I won't be accepting. 

• Like 1

ED31
  • Applicant
28 minutes ago, ccounsel2024 said:

Rejected from UofT just now 

Did you apply to Windsor or queens by any chance?

Taiko
  • Law Student
49 minutes ago, ccounsel2024 said:

Rejected from UofT just now 

Thanks for posting. Sorry about UofT!

Could you share when your UofT application was complete (when your transcript and letter of good standing were submitted).

ccounsel2024
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, Taiko said:

Thanks for posting. Sorry about UofT!

Could you share when your UofT application was complete (when your transcript and letter of good standing were submitted).

My application was complete sometime in late May. Letter of good standing was sent in March when I sent in my apps. Good luck! 

8 minutes ago, Wylinjabi said:

What was your average?

Sent a PM 

• Thanks 2

Taiko
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, ccounsel2024 said:

My application was complete sometime in late May. Letter of good standing was sent in March when I sent in my apps. Good luck! 

Thank you!

BarNone
  • Law Student

Got the offer to transfer on Tuesday June 7 to Uvic! And I have accepted the offer! Was rejected from Uvic during my application cycle, so very happy to be going there!

Edited by BarNone

ED31
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, BarNone said:

Got the offer to transfer on Tuesday  June 7! And I have accepted the offer! Was rejected from Uvic during my application cycle, so very happy to be going there!

Accepted where?