How does being fluent in French and having a masters degree in French help you at McGill and Quebec?

Rorsharch400

Rorsharch400

Hey guys,

I'm an American, I just finished my bachelors degree and I might be interested in pursuing a masters degree in French literature from my local university, Its a fully funded one year program so it can only help. At the same time, I am considering Law School in America and Quebec and wondering if there would be any advantage from having a strong French Language background as well. What would be some of the benefits I could get.

Edited by Rorsharch400

• Rorsharch400 changed the title to How does being fluent in French and having a masters degree in French help you at McGill and Quebec?
Whist
  • Law Student

Overall, you won't get any special benefits aside from just being eligible to study there. McGill Law requires English/French bilingualism to attend. Their program gives you both a civil and common law degree, and thus enables alumni to practice in both QC or the rest of Canada. All other QC law schools are only civil law and would grant you the ability to practice in just QC, and are all in French only. There are some French common law certificates available here and there after you have your initial law degree, but I don't recall who offers them.