Grades for Dean's List

Hopefullawstudent99

Hopefullawstudent99

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew the usual average to make Dean's List? I am in 1L if that makes a difference!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Hopefullawstudent99

Nightwing
  • Law Student

I have heard anecdotally that an A- average is the usual range, with the top student leaning more towards 84-85%. 

Garfield
  • Articling Student

I heard it’s different for 1L vs upper years with the upper year average usually being higher based on how some upper year courses are graded. 

Snax
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, Garfield said:

I heard it’s different for 1L vs upper years with the upper year average usually being higher based on how some upper year courses are graded. 

Upper year average for Dean’s List is always a bit higher because the curve for some upper year classes can be higher due to their small size. A fair number of upper years also do a competitive moot for credit, which all but guarantees each of them an A+, which also raises the average. 

Hopefullawstudent99

Do you think about 81% has a chance for 1L? Thank you.

Edited by Hopefullawstudent99

Lawllapalooza
  • Lawyer
On 5/9/2022 at 7:47 PM, Snax said:

A fair number of upper years also do a competitive moot for credit, which all but guarantees each of them an A+, which also raises the average. 

Looking at previous grade distributions this is untrue. Most get in the A range (i.e. A+, A, or A-), but a minority get A+. Last year 7/50 got an A+ 

Snax
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Lawllapalooza said:

Looking at previous grade distributions this is untrue. Most get in the A range (i.e. A+, A, or A-), but a minority get A+. Last year 7/50 got an A+ 

I thought my slight exaggeration was pretty obvious, but yes, you’re right. Either way, my point stands - the competitive moot grades serve to raise the average of upper years slightly because the average in those moots is significantly higher than the range within which regular course have to be graded. 

• 2 weeks later...
Nightwing
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, oneday said:

Just wondering, but has the Dean's List been announced yet? 

I didn't get an email, but it appeared on the grade report on student centre sometime yesterday, as well as a certificate under the honours section. I am a 3L, average was 82.667. Not sure if they will be sending out an email/letter. 

• Thanks 1

oneday
  • Law School Admit
22 hours ago, Nightwing said:

I didn't get an email, but it appeared on the grade report on student centre sometime yesterday, as well as a certificate under the honours section. I am a 3L, average was 82.667. Not sure if they will be sending out an email/letter. 

Wow, congrats! Can you let us know if you do get an email? Thanks in advance ☺️ 

When I got it in the past, they didn’t send us an email. But we got a physical certificate and letter mailed to us after it showed up in student centre. 

wannabeellewoods
  • Law Student

Have any 1Ls been notified yet of being on the Dean's list? Thanks in advance!

Lawstudent9898

Is a 79 too low for deans list? 

18 hours ago, wannabeellewoods said:

From my understanding last year they notified individuals last week of may but not sure about this year 🥲

Nightwing
  • Law Student
18 hours ago, wannabeellewoods said:

Has your grade report appeared yet (as opposed to posted grades)? If it is visible, that means adjudication is complete and the Dean's List has been released. If it hasn't appeared yet, they're still adjudicating. I assume the 3Ls came out sooner due to graduation.

wannabeellewoods
  • Law Student
21 hours ago, Lawstudent9898 said:

Is a 79 too low for deans list? 

From my understanding last year they notified individuals last week of may but not sure about this year 🥲

Not sure about a 79! I've heard from people in the past that a high 79 may be enough for the deans list, but it all depends on the year.

Yeah, I haven't heard of any 1Ls being notified yet, maybe they are still figuring it out. 

21 hours ago, Nightwing said:

Has your grade report appeared yet (as opposed to posted grades)? If it is visible, that means adjudication is complete and the Dean's List has been released. If it hasn't appeared yet, they're still adjudicating. I assume the 3Ls came out sooner due to graduation.

Thank you for your response! I'm not sure if the grade report has appeared, if that is the same thing as the 'Web Academic Report' in student center, then yes that has been posted. 

Jasin Natael
On 5/31/2022 at 9:16 PM, wannabeellewoods said:

A professor let me know that Dean's List notifications had been sent out via Canada Post yesterday. I imagine they'd arrive in the next few days.

• Like 2

Nightwing
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, wannabeellewoods said:

Not sure about a 79! I've heard from people in the past that a high 79 may be enough for the deans list, but it all depends on the year.

Yeah, I haven't heard of any 1Ls being notified yet, maybe they are still figuring it out. 

Thank you for your response! I'm not sure if the grade report has appeared, if that is the same thing as the 'Web Academic Report' in student center, then yes that has been posted. 

From view my grades, click grade report (see below). If there's a calculated term average / cumulative average, then you know that adjudication is done !

1098066683_ScreenShot2022-06-02at12_43_13PM.thumb.png.36ce9179d292cd2a418eafc26a32b68f.png

• Like 1

Professor Lupin
  • Law Student

Any 1Ls whose student center says anything about Dean's List? Mine just says "May Proceed"

wannabeellewoods
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Professor Lupin said:

Any 1Ls whose student center says anything about Dean's List? Mine just says "May Proceed"

It says nothing on mine either

lawstudent123
On 6/6/2022 at 8:14 PM, Professor Lupin said:

fyi - received a letter today from Dean Chamberlain, 1L

Congrats! Was it a physical copy sent to your house or email? Also does it say anything on student center? 

Professor Lupin
  • Law Student
10 hours ago, lawstudent123 said:

Congrats! Was it a physical copy sent to your house or email? Also does it say anything on student center? 

Physical copy. The award now also shows up on Student Center, it was probably added recently.