LSO Professional Responsibility Bar Material

goosie

goosie
  • Lawyer

Hey maybe a silly question, but does anyone know if the professional responsibility sections are identical in the barrister & solicitor materials? Want to avoid printing the same thing twice if I can lol

• Like 1

crepetastic

Yes, they are. They appear in both exams so they put them in both materials redundantly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

shmemoranda
  • Articling Student

You will need to print two Professional Responsibility sections even though they are the same because all paper materials must be left behind at the testing area, at which point the LSO arranges for them to be disposed of (see Section 4D of the Rules and Protocol for in-person exams).

In other words, we are unfortunately prohibited from reusing materials from the Barrister Exam on the Solicitor Exam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Sureaboutnotbeingsure
On 5/11/2022 at 1:56 PM, shmemoranda said:

You will need to print two Professional Responsibility sections even though they are the same because all paper materials must be left behind at the testing area, at which point the LSO arranges for them to be disposed of (see Section 4D of the Rules and Protocol for in-person exams).

In other words, we are unfortunately prohibited from reusing materials from the Barrister Exam on the Solicitor Exam.

Lots of online forums suggest to read them and then photocopy cause it would be redundant to highlight twice.

“Pro-tip: Note the following: (a) the Professional Responsibility, Rules of Professional Conduct, and By-laws are duplicated for the Barrister and Solicitor Bar Exam; and (b) after you write an exam, you must leave all printed materials in the examination room. To ensure that you preserve any highlighting and margin notes that you have made to these three sections, we recommend that you delay binding these sections until you have read them and photocopy them in colour for use in the subsequent exam.”

Edited by Sureaboutnotbeingsure

• 11 months later...
FORCE
  • Law Student

I just realized that I printed the professional responsibility section for the solicitor exam and I've been using  it to study for the barrister.  Can I still use that for the Barrister exam ? I won't be writing the solicitor this June . I just don't want to  print again. 

Edited by FORCE

yunglawyer
  • Lawyer
10 minutes ago, FORCE said:

I just realized that I printed the professional responsibility section for the solicitor exam and I've been using  it to study for the barrister.  Can I still use that for the Barrister exam ? I won't be writing the solicitor this June . I just don't want to  print again. 

Yes, they are identical and since they are the first section in both materials, the page numbers will be the same too. 

Many people also get colour copies of the PR section after they’ve read it so they only need to highlight once. 

Edited by yunglawyer