Waitlist Movement

abouttime
  • Law School Admit

When can we expect to see some movement in the waitlist? And how many people do usually get off the waitlist? If anyone is familiar with the number of people who got accepted from the waitlist last year, please share. 

Some offers that went out last week have a May 9th deadline. Has anyone decided to not accept their offer? 

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

At this point in the cycle, I would not bank on a ton of waitlist movement, not just at UBC but at most schools. When acceptances from the waitlist go out is going to depend on how many, if any, outstanding offers are rejected, or if anyone who accepted their offer withdraws later in the summer, likely because they were accepted off the waitlist at a different school, changed their mind about law school at the last minute, or were holding multiple places at multiple schools. It likely is not going to be possible to predict how many students get off the waitlist and when, because this will change from year to year. 

If you were waitlisted, it is likely best to operate under the assumption that you will not get in, and make plans to attend a different school or reapply next year. There is definitely a chance you could be accepted off the waitlist, but you won't really be able to predict if/when you are, and it's best not to make plans for the next few months under the assumption that you will be. 

• 3 weeks later...
ellewoodswannabe
  • Applicant

Is anyone that is holding a seat at UBC debating forfeiting or deferring it? Or rejected their offer last week (since May 20th)? Very high on the waitlist and wondering how long I should wait before solidifying my plans at UofC. Wondering if anyone is in a similar position to me that would be potentially opening up a seat at UBC in turn for a different school or life plan. Thanks in advance - a very anxious waitlistee. 

Edited by ellewoodswannabe

Patient0L
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, ellewoodswannabe said:

Is anyone that is holding a seat at UBC debating forfeiting or deferring it? Or rejected their offer last week (since May 20th)? Very high on the waitlist and wondering how long I should wait before solidifying my plans at UofC. Wondering if anyone is in a similar position to me that would be potentially opening up a seat at UBC in turn for a different school or life plan. Thanks in advance - a very anxious waitlistee. 

I wouldn’t make your plans contingent on a waitlist offer. Deadline to deposit for discretionary is June 2nd, but that would only effect those on the discretionary waitlist. I believe that the deadline to deposit in general is end of May, but I’m not %100 on that. Best to move on with things and then maybe be pleasantly surprised later this summer…?

ellewoodswannabe
  • Applicant

@Patient0LHave already paid my deposit at Calgary, just don’t want to sign a lease or anything further when I’m next in line on a waitlist is all! Thanks for the info about deposits 🙂

Edited by ellewoodswannabe

Patient0L
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, ellewoodswannabe said:

@Patient0LHave already paid my deposit at Calgary, just don’t want to sign a lease or anything further when I’m next in line on a waitlist is all! Thanks for the info about deposits 🙂

Yes but the way Murphy’s Law works is that you sign a lease in Calgary, send your landlord deposits + 12 post-dated cheques, book a uHaul and/or plane tickets to Calgary, tell everyone you know that you are moving to Calgary, start getting all buddy-buddy with the couple people that you know in Calgary, THEN you get the A from UBC… 😉 

That was pretty much how it went with me and UVic.

• LOL 1

law11111111111111111111111
  • Law Student

I changed my work schedule, so that I could do more EC's so I'd have a stronger application next year, and as soon as my work schedule was changed I got into ubc lol. So @Patient0L has a point...

Edited by Peshmerga
  • LOL 2

Patient0L
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Peshmerga said:

I changed my work schedule, so that I could do more EC's so I'd have a stronger application next year, and as soon as my work schedule was changed I got into ubc lol. So @Patient0L has a point...

I came pretty close to buying UVic Law sweatshirts for my entire family. 

23 hours ago, ellewoodswannabe said:

I guess your problem is solved! Congrats 🎉 🎉🎉

• Like 2

mjcp22
  • Applicant

I got accepted off the UBC waitlist yesterday! 

LSAT: 168 

GPA: 3.83/4.33 (no drops)

• Like 1