Windsor vs UAlberta

idkman

idkman
  • Applicant

Hi, just looking for some perspective. I got accepted into Windsor’s single and dual JD as well as UAlberta. I am from Toronto and unsure about what kind of law I want to practice. However, I would like to work for the government as a lawyer. I get that UAlberta is more prestigious than Windsor, but does that really even matter that much. I would like to end up living in Toronto, but I feel like that might be an unreasonable dream, given how the cost of living is increasing hugely. That’s probably a reason why I would go to Alberta. But if I wanted to, couldn’t I make my way back to Toronto if I disliked working there? Feeling really torn.

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student

If you want to practice in ontario go with windsor. Perhaps if U of A tuititon diddnt increase this year it would of been more of a pull factor. Cost of living is probably cheaper in Edmonton, but its an eye sore and the winters are horrid. Your life, support network, family etc is all closer by too. Commuting back and forth is a hassle flights, drive etc. 

Edited by Lilbb19
  • Like 3

SourPatchKids
  • Applicant

Hey! I'm also from Toronto and was debating between an Ontario school vs an out-of-province "more prestigious" school. Thought I would pass on some advice that was given to me by a senior lawyer in Toronto:

1. He doesn't even know what the current rankings of schools are so yes, while it's widely known that schools like Toronto or Osgoode have a good rep, rankings and prestige don't really matter all that much
  2. When he hires articling students, he mainly looks at grades, not the actual school they went to. Some larger firms may care about hiring from the top schools but most don't
  3. In terms of network, you build up a network once you start working so don't stress that too much - grades and how well you do in an interview are what help you secure a job
  4. His biggest piece of advice was to choose a school that would provide the experience that I'm looking for - whether that's which city i want to be in for 3 years, things I want to get involved in, how far I'm willing to move from my family, etc. - moreso about the personal factors than the school itself

So to answer your last question - yes, you absolutely could come back to Toronto to work. Of course this is just the point of view of one person, but it helped me make a decision so I thought I would share it.

Congrats on both of your offers!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Rusty Iron Ring
  • Lawyer

I absolutely loved Alberta. Best 3 years of my life. If you're considering living there, then go there and try it. 

If you know that you're coming back to Ontario, then Windsor might make more sense only because it makes it easier for you to deal with applications, interviews, etc. I have friends who went to Windsor who tell me it was also great. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

iwannagetaccepted1234
  • Law School Admit

congrats on your offers! I have talked with many lawyers and I can say I have heard the same thing as above where they do not care about what Canadian school someone went to, and grades are much more important. I personally think I am going to end up making the decision to stay closer to my family and support system, even if another farther away school is arbitrarily ranked a bit higher given this advice I have been given my many lawyers. I personally don't see the point of moving so far to Alberta when you have an offer you are happy with closer to your support system.

• Like 1

Conge
  • Lawyer
On 5/9/2022 at 10:25 AM, idkman said:

Hey Conge,

may I ask why you’d choose Alberta over Windsor?

Just my assumption Alberta is a better school and will look better on the resume when job hunting, especially if you look outside ON. 

Rusty Iron Ring
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, Conge said:

Just my assumption Alberta is a better school and will look better on the resume when job hunting, especially if you look outside ON. 

This is probably fair in terms of how it's viewed outside of Ontario.  When in Ontario, it is hard to understate how little anyone knows about anything west of Sarnia or north of Sudbury. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

GoWestYoungMan
  • Articling Student

I came from Ontario to U Alberta. (Although I made the conscious choice not to apply in Ontario at all, so my situation was a bit different.) My partner and I considered especially the cost of living difference between Toronto and Edmonton/Calgary. 

A lot of the advice above stands. If you're set on living/practicing in Toronto then Windsor is your choice. If you want to get out of dodge and head to where the cost of living is lower, then you go with UofA.

With that said, it's still possible to go to one or the other and get a job right off the bat in the other province. I've seen a couple of my colleagues from UofA get hired in Toronto. And if you look, for example, at the lists of articling/summer students at the big firms in Calgary there's a not insignificant amount of hires from Ontario schools.

I will say that my partner and I found living in Edmonton quite nice! The winter was cold, but I found it bearable as long as you layer properly. And while parts of Edmonton are a bit of an eyesore, there's plenty of really beautiful scenery especially around the river valley. It's a great city if you like an outdoorsy-type lifestyle. And, very importantly, the traffic is MUCH MUCH (etc.) better than in Toronto. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
Khrisse
  • Law Student
On 5/11/2022 at 9:29 AM, GoWestYoungMan said:

I will say that my partner and I found living in Edmonton quite nice! The winter was cold, but I found it bearable as long as you layer properly. And while parts of Edmonton are a bit of an eyesore, there's plenty of really beautiful scenery especially around the river valley. It's a great city if you like an outdoorsy-type lifestyle. And, very importantly, the traffic is MUCH MUCH (etc.) better than in Toronto. 

I lived in Ontario for quite a while before moving west and am headed to U of A this fall, so that’s my bias. Let’s be honest - large parts of Toronto are an eyesore 🙂 

I have a friend who went to Windsor (albeit over a decade ago) and really enjoyed the school, but not the city. As others in this thread have said, I’m not sure that “prestige” is super-relevant, and it doesn’t sound proximity is either, ultimately. Edmonton’s cost of living definitely looks lower, which for me is a big plus, and I’m looking forward to runs in that huge river valley park. You say you want to work for “government” as a lawyer - do you have your eyes on one particular government? If it’s the feds, I think getting out of Ontario can only help - if it’s Ontario, I’m still not sure leaving for school will hurt your prospects, and of course there are 12 other governments in Canada that need legal advice (not including municipal and Indigenous). My two cents: I think it’s good to move around a bit and experience new places - even if you remain dead-set on moving back to Toronto, experience in another part of the country can, in my view, only help. And while YEG - YYZ looks to be a 3h45 min flight, getting to the airport is free with your Upass, and you can get some cheap fares 🙂 

Big congrats on your offers! You’re in a great spot with these two solid choices. 

Edited by Khrisse

AllRise
  • Law Student

I would accept the single JD from Windsor (my advice is biased because I attended 1L at Windsor). I did classes entirely remotely so I won't speak to the city, but the learning experience was a good one. Most of the professors were really great and overall I had a great experience. You'll certainly hear the arguments about prestige, but as a 1L who is summering with a firm, they cared a lot about my grades and very little that I was attending Windsor rather than a more "prestigious" school. 

More important than the above, I would recommend choosing a program that allows you to stay close to a support system. It can be difficult to manage without one if you find yourself having mental health difficulties or other challenges. 

Edited by AllRise
Grammar

• 2 months later...

No one cares which school you attended outside the student bubble. We don’t have a Harvard or Oxford in Canada. Any school will get you where you want to go. Its not the school. Its the individual. 

I would pick Ontario schools if Ontario is where you want to practice. We emphasize Ontario caselaw, etc. so it’ll be more useful at first. But I would say either school is great. Good for you on getting in. That’s the only thing that matters. 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
On 8/17/2022 at 9:25 AM, NikM said:

No one cares which school you attended outside the student bubble. We don’t have a Harvard or Oxford in Canada. Any school will get you where you want to go. Its not the school. Its the individual. 

I would pick Ontario schools if Ontario is where you want to practice. We emphasize Ontario caselaw, etc. so it’ll be more useful at first. But I would say either school is great. Good for you on getting in. That’s the only thing that matters. 

Why are literally all of your posts about Windsor 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
50 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

Why are literally all of your posts about Windsor 

Because 

1) It doesn't matter what school you go to.

2) Windsor is better than other schools though.

🤔

• LOL 2