1L Year Review

CipherEvice

CipherEvice
  • Law Student

Someone from the UoA who just finished their 1L year at the UoA just posted this thread

And I was wondering if maybe a UoC 1L who just finished might want to do the same or note any differences? 🤔

Also, if a UoC student happens to read this, I more specifically have the question of how many classes do you take per term? It seems like there are 8 required classes for 1L, as well as a handful of required classes for 2L and one required class for 3L, but I can't quite seem to find out how much room you have for other classes. From looking at the course list I am quite interested in a lot of them and will likely need to narrow my choices a bit. Probably a bit preemptive since I'll have time in the future to plan that out but part of me needs to know these things now lol.

• Like 3

oklol123
  • Law Student

Sorry, I don't have time to give a good write up like the post you referenced but I'll try to answer the rest.

1L Fall: For most of September you will do Foundations I. You'll learn to brief cases and how to write memos. It's split into 2 professor lead sections and ten (I think) 3L TA sections. The TA you're assigned to will grade your assignments. Foundations I, like all block courses at U of C, is P/F. 

The rest of fall you will take six courses: Legislation, Contracts, Property, Constitutional, Torts, and Criminal. Legislation is the only course that is one semester so you'll write the final in December while the rest of your exams in December will be midterms.

1L Winter: Most of January is Foundations II where you'll be split into 2 sections again and learn how to do legal research. After this you'll continue with Contracts, Property, Constitutional, Torts, and Criminal. You'll write the finals in April.

Each of the 6 graded classes in 1L are split into 2 or 3 sections (whether a class has 2 or 3 sections depends on the year).

2L: You'll be required to take: evidence, civil procedure, ethics, admin, and the 2L block course in January. 

3L: The only course you're required to take is the block course in January. 

In 2L/3L you take 5 courses in the fall and in the winter semester you have a January block course followed by 4 other classes once the block course ends.

The only other thing I'd mention is that you need fulfill a theoretical requirement, writing requirement, and an international requirement in order to graduate. These are to be done in 2L/3L. If you're super eager you can take a look at the course descriptions where it will state which courses fulfill which requirements. Some classes will allow you to meet two of the requirements (ex: Feminist Legal Theory allows you to fulfill the writing and theory requirements).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

elars
  • Lawyer

Also, I forgot to answer your other question on the number of courses per term. Below is that info:

1L Fall: Foundations I (for three weeks), then: Crime, Torts, Contracts, Constitutional Law, Property, and Legislation.

• So, one block course then six courses.

1L Winter: Foundations II (for three weeks), then: Crime, Torts, Contracts, Constitutional Law, and Property.

• So, one block course then five courses.

2L Fall: Three electives, and two of: Evidence, Ethics, Administrative Law, and Civil Procedure.

• So, five courses.

2L Winter: Negotiation (for three weeks), then two electives, and the other two you didn't take of Evidence, Ethics, Administrative Law, and Civil Procedure.

• So, one block course, then four courses.

3L Fall: Five electives.

• So, five courses.

3L Winter: Advocacy (for three weeks), then four electives.

• So, one block course, then four courses.

You will also need one theory requirement, one international course, and one major paper course. You will meet these three requirements with your electives. Sometimes you can hit two birds with one stone and do a course that is both a theory course and a paper course, or a course that is both an international course and paper course, etc. Or you can keep these all separate. It's up to you and the specific courses you want to take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3