Suits for Tall Women

janeproc

janeproc
  • Law Student

Hi All,

I appreciate the suits for women thread, however I'm 6'0" and 90% of those websites don't have clothing long enough for me. Does the tall gang have any suggestions for me?

• Like 1

Blurg
  • Lawyer

I’m around your height and I typically go for dresses and blazers as pants are a pain to find. Long enough sleeves is a real struggle still though. It’s not the greatest quality but I did get one pant and jacket suit set from Long Tall Sally (not sure they’re even around anymore though). 

• Like 1

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

I think Melanie Lynn also has petite and tall sizes. Or, if you're able to, find a department store that carries a lot of different suiting brands, like the Bay or Nordstroms. Enlist the help of a sales clerk, as they'll know which brands have tall size options. Ask them to grab a few in different brands and then just try on every single item they bring you. Make a list of the ones the brands that DO carry tall sizing, then you can hit those stores specifically as they usually have more options. But it's more time-saving if you go to a department store first since you get a wider variety of brands as opposed to having to check a bunch of brand-specific stores to see if they even carry tall sizes.

Also, the location of said store makes a big difference. Stores carry to their clientele. I had a tough time finding any suits in Calgary until I went downtown. Even then, the selection was NOTHING compared to Toronto. I found 3 amazing suits in one day of shopping, compared to 2 suits in over a week of shopping in Calgary. So if the suit selection isn't great, try a store in a more corporate area of the city.

janeproc
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, OntheVerge said:

I think Melanie Lynn also has petite and tall sizes. Or, if you're able to, find a department store that carries a lot of different suiting brands, like the Bay or Nordstroms. Enlist the help of a sales clerk, as they'll know which brands have tall size options. Ask them to grab a few in different brands and then just try on every single item they bring you. Make a list of the ones the brands that DO carry tall sizing, then you can hit those stores specifically as they usually have more options. But it's more time-saving if you go to a department store first since you get a wider variety of brands as opposed to having to check a bunch of brand-specific stores to see if they even carry tall sizes.

Also, the location of said store makes a big difference. Stores carry to their clientele. I had a tough time finding any suits in Calgary until I went downtown. Even then, the selection was NOTHING compared to Toronto. I found 3 amazing suits in one day of shopping, compared to 2 suits in over a week of shopping in Calgary. So if the suit selection isn't great, try a store in a more corporate area of the city.

Thanks, good to know. Yeah I'm in Vancouver and I shop downtown and they don't have anything above a size zero at most stores, extremely frustrating. Maybe when I move to Saskatoon it'll be a bit better

Patient0L
  • Law Student
25 minutes ago, janeproc said:

Thanks, good to know. Yeah I'm in Vancouver and I shop downtown and they don't have anything above a size zero at most stores, extremely frustrating. Maybe when I move to Saskatoon it'll be a bit better

Take that Seattle shopping trip now!