Moving Downtown - Best Neighbourhoods?

moderndayellewoods444
  • Applicant

Just wondering if anyone had any advice for convenient neighbourhoods that are relatively safe for a 20-something female who plans to live alone? I'm not from the city so I'm not really too sure where most TMU law students live?! Does anyone think it's better to live within walking distance or to find somewhere a bit further north in the city and commute in? Any advice is appreciated as I try to navigate this process!

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

Midtown is great. I lived near St. Clair and Bathurst (a bit further east) and it was incredibly safe. A nice mix between residential homes and condo/apartment towers, lots of green space, walking distance to everything you need. It's busy but not crazy busy. A quick subway ride to downtown. Literally took me 10 - 15 minutes. I walked my dog, even taking him out around 1am - 2am some nights and never had an issue. One of my friends lived a bit further south in the Annex, in a main floor unit right off Spadina, and she had a few sketchy moments (including finding footsteps outside her windows once in the winter). If you want to DM, I'll tell you the exact area where I lived. I can't recommend it highly enough. 

• Thanks 1

Doot Universary
  • Law School Admit

Former TMU student here – although the Toronto rental market is pricey, what I liked about renting in the area is that it’s a true rental market rather than merely a student rental market. Because of this, there will be sufficient supply pretty much throughout the year regardless of the housing preference you have (e.g. a condo, basement, etc). 

In terms of safety, there are areas that are safer than others, and there are select condos that allow for questionable living conditions (e.g. ICE Condos). An area that I found to be relatively safe and “nice” are the neighbourhoods that are west of campus. If you want a bit of a further commute, there are plenty of options in Etobicoke and Mississauga. 

I personally commuted ~40 minutes to campus during undergrad and didn’t find that to be too burdensome. In my opinion, the “best spot” to live as a TMU student are the high rises in Etobicoke alone the water near Humber Bay Park. Good access to public transit and campus, nice living arrangements, and a great view. The only downside is the high cost. As well, if you’re looking to have as little of a commute as possible, this isn’t the best option. Living in the city would be a better option in this case.

If you ever want more info on living in the area, message me! 

Edited by Doot Universary
Side note: I second that Midtown is a great option
  • Thanks 1

moderndayellewoods444
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, Doot Universary said:

Former TMU student here – although the Toronto rental market is pricey, what I liked about renting in the area is that it’s a true rental market rather than merely a student rental market. Because of this, there will be sufficient supply pretty much throughout the year regardless of the housing preference you have (e.g. a condo, basement, etc). 

In terms of safety, there are areas that are safer than others, and there are select condos that allow for questionable living conditions (e.g. ICE Condos). An area that I found to be relatively safe and “nice” are the neighbourhoods that are west of campus. If you want a bit of a further commute, there are plenty of options in Etobicoke and Mississauga. 

I personally commuted ~40 minutes to campus during undergrad and didn’t find that to be too burdensome. In my opinion, the “best spot” to live as a TMU student are the high rises in Etobicoke alone the water near Humber Bay Park. Good access to public transit and campus, nice living arrangements, and a great view. The only downside is the high cost. As well, if you’re looking to have as little of a commute as possible, this isn’t the best option. Living in the city would be a better option in this case.

If you ever want more info on living in the area, message me! 

Thanks so much for your insight. Ideally, I don't want to commute, since I commuted a 40 minutes-1 hour each way for my undergrad and it really drained me. I'd like to live within walking distance or a quick jump on the TTC if possible. I've heard the reputation of ICE condos and definitely will not be looking there! 

1 hour ago, OntheVerge said:

Midtown is great. I lived near St. Clair and Bathurst (a bit further east) and it was incredibly safe. A nice mix between residential homes and condo/apartment towers, lots of green space, walking distance to everything you need. It's busy but not crazy busy. A quick subway ride to downtown. Literally took me 10 - 15 minutes. I walked my dog, even taking him out around 1am - 2am some nights and never had an issue. One of my friends lived a bit further south in the Annex, in a main floor unit right off Spadina, and she had a few sketchy moments (including finding footsteps outside her windows once in the winter). If you want to DM, I'll tell you the exact area where I lived. I can't recommend it highly enough. 

Ah I didn't realize Midtown would be that close on the subway. I'll have to check that out. I know a couple of people who went to UofT that lived in the Annex and loved it, so I guess it really just depends on what kind of building. Thanks so much! 

1 hour ago, Debtful said:

Budget would play a big factor - what is your budget?

I'm looking to spend anywhere from $1850-2150 monthly and am looking for a 1BR. 

Edited by moderndayellewoods444