What are my chances for November?

Seansei

Seansei
  • Law Student

Some softs:

• Private pilot's license (many hours of hard work and several exams)
  • President of my university's mock trial association
  • Dean's honour roll each year of undergrad
  • Designed software systems for local hospital (self-sourced fourth year project)

What might my chances be for Osgoode Hall? In particular, is my LSAT score good enough? I am planning on applying to these schools this cycle:

• Osgoode Hall
  • UofT
  • Western
  • Ottawa
  • Windsor

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you.

Renerik
  • Law Student

Chances are good at all the above except UofT.

I wouldn't lead with being a pilot unless you're involved at a flying school as an instructor/famil pilot. Most young adults with their PPL got it through the cadet program as teens, so too far back to be considered an EC for law school. Hardest part of becoming one is being able to finance it, the TC exams are easy.

NoName
  • Applicant

I have similar stats (3.89cgpa // 161 LSAT), but much different ECs. I got accepted at Ottawa this cycle, in the waitpile at Osgoode, rejected from U of T. Didn’t apply to the others, so I can’t speak on them.

I’d say your chances for Ottawa are high, Osgoode is maybe a toss up between waitlist and acceptance, but your ECs seem good so I’m leaning towards accepted for you. You’d probably wanna pull up your LSAT for UofT.

Seansei
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, Renerik said:

Chances are good at all the above except UofT.

I wouldn't lead with being a pilot unless you're involved at a flying school as an instructor/famil pilot. Most young adults with their PPL got it through the cadet program as teens. Hardest part of becoming one is being able to finance it, the TC exams are easy.

Ah okay, thank you! What sort of thing would you choose to lead with?

• 1 month later...
Seansei
  • Law Student

GPA: 3.8 (B2/L2 3.9)

LSAT: 161

Softs: Private pilot license, president of my university's competitive mock trial association, designed software that is used in a hospital.

Osgoode Hall is my dream. What do I need to do to get there? Are my stats good enough?

I got into Osgoode with a 3.77 and a 156. There are others this year who got rejected with better stats (like you).

Now, I am not trying to say you won't get in. With those stats, you stand a very, very strong chance.

The thing about Osgoode is holistic admissions is a black box. I had strong softs, tied to what the school wanted to see, and got in.

Why does your pilot license, presidency, and software matter? No, really. Why does this matter? How is this connected to Osgoode.

If you can't link it to why law - and why Osgoode - tbh your softs dont really matter.

All I am saying is: make it relevant and you will be fine. 

Message me directly if you have any questions about my own journey to Osgoode. I will try my best to help. 

Edited by jomar

luckycharm
6 hours ago, Seansei said:

GPA: 3.8 (B2/L2 3.9)

LSAT: 161

Softs: Private pilot license, president of my university's competitive mock trial association, designed software that is used in a hospital.

Osgoode Hall is my dream. What do I need to do to get there? Are my stats good enough?

is your 3.8 GPA per OLSAS conversion?

Seansei
  • Law Student
10 hours ago, luckycharm said:

is your 3.8 GPA per OLSAS conversion?

I thought I remembered it properly but I guess I was wrong about the conversion. It should actually say 3.9 GPA and 4.0 B2. (Sitting just about right at the cusp of 3.9 and 3.7 so that could conceivably swing either way as I still have another semester left, but B2 is definitely a 4.0)

ShouldHaveBeenAnEngineer
  • Applicant

I got in with a way lower CPGA (3.74 according to OLSAS) and my LSAT was only one point higher than yours. My softs were on par too, so what I'm trying to say is that I think you have a very solid chance, I don't see you getting rejected barring extreme circumstances.