UoA vs TRU?

Lawyerwannabe

Lawyerwannabe
  • Law School Admit

Hello everyone, 

I am fortunate and grateful enough to have been offered a seat to both UoA and TRU. Below is information I believe is relevant for the above stated question. 

- I am a BC resident and would like to work in BC upon graduation from law school. 

- I am interested in the following areas of law: real estate, immigration, and corporate. 

Thank you in advance! 

• Like 1

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student

I chose U of A over TRU. Its still pretty close, better school, lower tuition, bigger city, more places to live, cost of living is cheaper,  and there a lot of BC students at U of A. I dont think you would struggle to find articles back in BC by choosing U of A 

Edited by Lilbb19
  • Like 1

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student

Conventional wisdom is to go to the school in the province you want to practice in. Both UofA and TRU will get you a job in BC, but TRU might have an edge for some firms as they tend to like to hire TRU students (as some firms in Alberta like to hire UofA students). UofA will have better upper level course selection than TRU, however both schools have courses on the subject areas you mentioned.

• Like 1

BanzaiPipeline
  • Law Student

Had the same choice coming into law school. Despite being from Alberta I chose TRU and I don’t regret it. The recreational opportunities in Kamloops and overall more relaxed, collegial vibe drew me to TRU. I felt the quality of the professors and students here were pretty excellent, and I had no problem getting offers back in Alberta. I actually found that TRU profs and admin took extra care to include Alberta legislation and recruitment updates in class and emails. 

Besides the oft-remarked tuition, my only complaint with TRU was that it didn’t live up to its “interior BC” mandate. TRU was supposed to offer tons of courses in indigenous and natural resources law, in order to better serve the region. Interior/Northern BC regional interests  translate very well to fields of law in demand in Alberta. I feel like if they actually took this seriously they could really hit their potential.

• Like 1

arod
  • Applicant

Thanks for the replies and the post. I was in the exact same position including wanting to work back in BC and feel like i am going to stick to my decision of attending TRU.  Hopefully i see you there!

• Like 3