Competitive Moots

lawsttime

lawsttime
  • Law Student

Hey folks, I was recently accepted into a mooting competition for my 2L year and I'm currently debating whether or not to accept my offer.

I regrettably did not apply for a placement in 2L, but after doing an extracurricular moot during the second semester of 1L I realized I enjoy oral advocacy. The moot I was accepted into pertains to one of my areas of interest. However, I am worried about the workload and how I'll balance the OCI/recruit process.

Can anyone share their experience with mooting, and offer any advice? I'm leaning towards accepting the offer because I worry I'll regret it even more if I don't!

KOMODO
  • Lawyer

I loved mooting, so I would vote to accept! It's a great experience and something to talk about during OCIs. Many people balance both and though it certainly is busy, I think most of the people I know who did it, found it totally doable. Good luck!

• Like 1

Panda
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, lawsttime said:

Hey folks, I was recently accepted into a mooting competition for my 2L year and I'm currently debating whether or not to accept my offer.

I regrettably did not apply for a placement in 2L, but after doing an extracurricular moot during the second semester of 1L I realized I enjoy oral advocacy. The moot I was accepted into pertains to one of my areas of interest. However, I am worried about the workload and how I'll balance the OCI/recruit process.

Can anyone share their experience with mooting, and offer any advice? I'm leaning towards accepting the offer because I worry I'll regret it even more if I don't!

When does the moot take place? Most (almost all?) of the competitive rounds are in the winter/spring. The OCI recruit is in the fall. There should be little overlap.

Even if this is not the case, I recommend doing the moot - probably the best part of law school is the competitive moot opportunity. 

• Like 1

goosie
  • Lawyer

I did a competitive moot during my 2L year in 2020-21 (i.e. when the 2L recruit was moved to winter term). The provincial round of the moot was held in early February the day after our OCIs, then the national round of the moot was about a week after in firms. At the time it felt hectic but it was doable. With OCIs and in firms being in the fall again now I wouldn't worry at all about balancing mooting with the recruit if your moot is scheduled for second term. Even if it's not, lots of people successfully balance full year moots (like I believe the Fox normally is) with the recruit each year. If you're concerned, reach out to an upper year who did the moot you've been accepted into last year and ask them about the process.

• Like 1

Kid Presentable

I did a major moot in 2L and that was with Toronto OCIs in February. Assuming your moot is in the spring and the recruit is in the fall, it will be more than doable. I found mooting very rewarding, personally, so I'd strongly recommend accepting the offer, especially since it seems like something you really want to do.

• Like 1