Research experience for clerking

Byzantine

Byzantine
  • Law Student

Hey all! 

Just finished 1L and planning to apply in 2L for clerking. Thinking BCSC/BCCA and perhaps federal court. 

One issue is that I don’t have much research experience and it seems like that’s pretty important. I am doing a competitive moot next year. What’s the best way to increase my research experience / get a good writing sample before the applications are due in January? Thinking I could try to get a RA position, do a directed research, or perhaps take a course with an essay component? Any other ideas?

thanks! 

SeniorLopez
  • Lawyer
22 hours ago, Byzantine said:

Hey all! 

Just finished 1L and planning to apply in 2L for clerking. Thinking BCSC/BCCA and perhaps federal court. 

One issue is that I don’t have much research experience and it seems like that’s pretty important. I am doing a competitive moot next year. What’s the best way to increase my research experience / get a good writing sample before the applications are due in January? Thinking I could try to get a RA position, do a directed research, or perhaps take a course with an essay component? Any other ideas?

thanks! 

Assuming you research over the summer isn't an option, I would go for the directed research or RA position, as it will allow you to delve into a particular subject and have someone who can speak to your research abilities (which I think is often more important than the research itself). Also, don't get discouraged if things don't pan out in 2L - I know a lot of people who reapplied in 3L and even after, and had success that way.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Abella Swan
  • Articling Student
On 5/20/2022 at 10:40 AM, SeniorLopez said:

Assuming you research over the summer isn't an option, I would go for the directed research or RA position, as it will allow you to delve into a particular subject and have someone who can speak to your research abilities (which I think is often more important than the research itself). Also, don't get discouraged if things don't pan out in 2L - I know a lot of people who reapplied in 3L and even after, and had success that way.

Echoing what @SeniorLopez said, definitely look into being a Research Assistant for a professor. How I went about doing it was going to a professor whose class I really enjoyed and did well in and asked over the summer if they were looking for an RA for the following academic year. You don't always have to have taken a course with the professor, but it's just an easier inn for you (in my experience, I didn't have to have an interview or submit any materials...my professor just said yes absolutely). The additional bonus is that they make an excellent reference b/c they can talk about your research skills AND how you were in their class (i.e. if you were an engaged student, did well, turned in a really good research paper, etc.).

• Thanks 1