Crown Offices Articling

lawstudent12

lawstudent12
  • Law Student

Has anyone who applied for the outside Toronto recruit heard back from Crown offices for an interview?

• 3 weeks later...
AryaStarr
  • Articling Student

Yeah,  Thunder Bay sent interview invites about 2 weeks ago.

Major_Agnostic
  • Articling Student

Heard back from Ottawa earlier this week, interviewing Monday. I feel like I'll get destroyed by the case/provision questions cuz idk jack about crim lmao. Pray for pray

• 2 weeks later...
Taiko
  • Law Student

I'm an incoming 2L thinking of applying for a Crown summer position. What kind of questions do they tend to ask in 2L MAG interviews and do they look for specific courses? I'm doing a summer internship at a Crim defence firm and am registered for Advanced Criminal Procedure and also Evidence in 2L. Any thoughts / insights would be appreciated.

criminallyminded
  • Lawyer

@Taiko For summer positions it's more relaxed. Read the Crown manual and have some recent crim cases you find interesting and can discuss their implications.

Know recent, last 2(ish) years, SCC decisions that are impactful to crim and be able to articulate why.

You will likely be presented with fact scenarios that get your Spidey senses tingling and be able to say why. Interviewer wants to see if you can spot areas where policy and prosecutorial discretion is engaged, and whether you can make an informed decision. 

@Major_Agnostic how did it go? 

Edited by criminallyminded
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Major_Agnostic
  • Articling Student
On 6/21/2022 at 10:12 AM, criminallyminded said:

@Taiko For summer positions it's more relaxed. Read the Crown manual and have some recent crim cases you find interesting and can discuss their implications.

Know recent, last 2(ish) years, SCC decisions that are impactful to crim and be able to articulate why.

You will likely be presented with fact scenarios that get your Spidey senses tingling and be able to say why. Interviewer wants to see if you can spot areas where policy and prosecutorial discretion is engaged, and whether you can make an informed decision. 

@Major_Agnostic how did it go? 

Went alright. I spent a decent amount of time preparing and did well enough on substantive stuff (tell us about the X principle from X crim case) since I had a study guide, and showed good interest/knowledge about discretion and traits that suited a Crown.

Didn’t do so hot on the situationals though, mainly because they put you in situations that a Crown would find themselves in and I’m not aware of what that looks like too much (Crown is more of a backup for me, first time applying for such a position). That definitely hampered my ability to consider the different issues and potential courses of action in those scenarios.

My tip would be to learn/brush up on crim pro and find out how Crowns deal with different interactions with police, victims, witnesses, the court, etc. Know in which situations seeking an adjournment would be favourable for resolving a dilemma, for example.

As well, your tips for prep are bang on (so I’d follow those @Taiko). I also would say try and ask students for a study guide of some sort. Will save you a lot of time and will likely condense parts of the manual.

EDIT: Call day is tomorrow so I’ll update if I get an offer.

Edited by Major_Agnostic
  • Thanks 2

Major_Agnostic
  • Articling Student
23 hours ago, Taiko said:

@Major_Agnostic Thanks for the info! Good luck with your Crown application.

Thanks! Nothing yet from Crown but I accepted a DOJ Legal Excellence offer anyway, which was my first choice. Best of luck to those pursuing the Crown path!

• Like 2