Hello Class of 2025! Plans for summer and what to look out for?

Khrisse

Khrisse
  • Law Student

Hello fellow members of U of A's Class of 2025! 

Haven't seen anything like this, so thought I'd try and kick it off. I'm envisioning this as a thread where this year's admits who are interested can begin to introduce ourselves and share any school-related intel. 

I'm curious about a couple things:

- what people are doing (work-wise, life-wise and/or fun-wise) in the lead-up to our 1L kickoff in September

- whether anyone who is perhaps better informed than me can advise of any school-related milestones we should be looking out for this summer. I'm new to all of this and so recently e-mailed the Faculty to ask when we register for courses, and so learned that apparently they assign us themselves (OK, now I know). Anyone know when we'll see schedules? 

A little about me: I've worked in policy and programs at various levels of government for 17 years, have done volunteer work in several human rights/social justice movements, and am thrilled to now be heading back to school to fulfil my life-long dream of becoming a lawyer. I'll be new to both Alberta and Edmonton and am really looking forward to getting to know them. Interests include: cooking spicy food, yoga, running, hiking, beer, Drag Race, and ugly-crying while reading milestone SCC human rights decisions. 

Plans for the summer: wrapping up my current job and organizing and executing a move to Edmonton! Also hoping to include some chill-time.

Your turn!   

• Like 7

nitzy
  • Law School Admit

Thanks for starting this post! Looking forward to getting acquainted with everyone.

-Summer plans: trying (unsuccessfully) to take it easy and not obsess over hypotheticals for the next three years. Also, looking forward to a trip to France in August!!

-I don't think there is much we can do schoolwise over the summer. I am expecting to get our schedules probably late July, early August? I hope to sweet baby jesus that I get classes starting at 9 ish rather than 8. I am not a morning person. Scholarship applications close in June so I imagine we will be hearing about those in the months to follow.

-About me: I've worked in various capacities in the criminal justice system for 7.5 yrs, serving and auto detailing before that, and am looking forward to gaining experience in different areas of law. I think thats really the best part of law and law school - so many new opportunities and areas to explore and its always changing. Interests include: cooking and baking, my dog who is the sweetest most precious angel to grace this planet, plants, horror movies and crochet.

I am born and raised in Edmonton so would be happy to advise you on neighborhoods/Edmonton in general if you have any questions.

• Like 8

ShatteredBlaze
  • Applicant

OOooOoo well hello future classmates!

So first for summer plans: I'll be winding down from my job at Shopify to take probably a month and a half off to unwind. I've been taking classes and working fulltime simultaneously for my entire undergrad so I don't know what I'm going to do with all the extra time on my hands! Probably do all my medical appointments before I lose my work benefits honestly. 

I've been told it's a good idea not to stress yourself out too much before school starts but I think I'm going to work at getting into the flow of summarizing cases to make things easier later. In addition I'll probably be crafting dice and painting the obnoxious amount of minis that are sitting unloved on my shelf atm. As for schedules there are classes already posted in beartracks that coincide with the obligatory courses we'll be taking so I did a couple mockups based on that information, I've included a couple screenshots of those below in case a visual helps! Obviously I'm not 100% sure that this is the final schedule, they can change anything and the screenshot only shows the timeslot or slots available! Also in the "hoping I'm not in the 8am class" gang. 

About me: Well I just finished my BComm at MacEwan, my minor was Legal Studies in Business so I've taken some good baseline courses already which I'm hoping will be a lil helpful! I've been working fulltime during and before school for the last, oh god, eight years, for River City Games (which still gives me that sweet employee discount), four diamond hospitality, tech support/customer service and administrative support. As for hobbies I'm a huge D&D fan, I run games and play them with my partner and friends on a regular basis, I make handcrafted resin dice, and upgrading my custom PC build (when we're not in a microchip shortage, ew)! 

I'm also from Edmonton, and did some concierge work here, so if you want to know about good eats, or places to have fun, hit me up!

Screenshot_20220522-224443_Sheets.jpg

20220522_224513.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Khrisse
  • Law Student

@ShatteredBlaze - ooh, thanks for the mockups, very handy! I’ve never actually played D&D but have always been curious - we should talk! 

@nitzy - France sounds amazing - so jealous! I agree, the chance to explore different areas of law is super exciting for me as well. I was just saying that to a friend last night in response to the “what area do you want to specialize in” question - sure, I’ve got some ideas, but I’m basically gonna play in a bunch of sandboxes over the next three years and see what really excites me. 

Both - me and my partner will be apartment hunting soon - as Edmonton natives, any thoughts on the best neighbourhoods to look in? Priorities: quiet, groceries and other amenities nearby, reasonable walk or transit to school, and good running trails nearby would be a bonus. Hoping we can do the move in late July / early August and have a few weeks to set up, explore and chill a bit. 

nitzy
  • Law School Admit

@Khrisse Umm, well I can't speak much to running trails since I loathe running (I want to like it I just .... can't.) but I imagine that anywhere in the river valley would be nice. I personally am a fan of downtown, specifically I really like Grandin. Its downtown but its quiet (as long as you are not right on 109st facing the Legislature) and has the things nearby that you mentioned. You could also look at Whyte Ave area, Belgravia, Oliver, etc as they are nice areas with lots of interesting stuff nearby and in general close to the U of A. It might be worthwhile to check out the LRT line and see if the apartments you're looking at are near a station since the train takes you right to school and the transit pass is included in tuition. Thats not to say there aren't a lot of other options outside the areas I mentioned, these are just the first that come to mind.

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
21 hours ago, ShatteredBlaze said:

OOooOoo well hello future classmates!

So first for summer plans: I'll be winding down from my job at Shopify to take probably a month and a half off to unwind. I've been taking classes and working fulltime simultaneously for my entire undergrad so I don't know what I'm going to do with all the extra time on my hands! Probably do all my medical appointments before I lose my work benefits honestly. 

I've been told it's a good idea not to stress yourself out too much before school starts but I think I'm going to work at getting into the flow of summarizing cases to make things easier later. In addition I'll probably be crafting dice and painting the obnoxious amount of minis that are sitting unloved on my shelf atm. As for schedules there are classes already posted in beartracks that coincide with the obligatory courses we'll be taking so I did a couple mockups based on that information, I've included a couple screenshots of those below in case a visual helps! Obviously I'm not 100% sure that this is the final schedule, they can change anything and the screenshot only shows the timeslot or slots available! Also in the "hoping I'm not in the 8am class" gang. 

About me: Well I just finished my BComm at MacEwan, my minor was Legal Studies in Business so I've taken some good baseline courses already which I'm hoping will be a lil helpful! I've been working fulltime during and before school for the last, oh god, eight years, for River City Games (which still gives me that sweet employee discount), four diamond hospitality, tech support/customer service and administrative support. As for hobbies I'm a huge D&D fan, I run games and play them with my partner and friends on a regular basis, I make handcrafted resin dice, and upgrading my custom PC build (when we're not in a microchip shortage, ew)! 

I'm also from Edmonton, and did some concierge work here, so if you want to know about good eats, or places to have fun, hit me up!

Screenshot_20220522-224443_Sheets.jpg

20220522_224513.jpg

To give an idea, ill attach my schedule from 1L in 2019 

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 7.44.26 PM.png

• Like 1

ShatteredBlaze
  • Applicant
13 hours ago, Lilbb19 said:

To give an idea, ill attach my schedule from 1L in 2019 

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 7.44.26 PM.png

Oh dang! It looks like my mock up might be pretty spot on 👌 If I end up in the 8am Crim rest in fucking pieces I guess, my brain doesn't wake up until 8:30 most days and the smell of coffee gives me migraines 😭😭 Just gonna pray to the assignment gods for mercy, and hope for the best!

• LOL 3

Khrisse
  • Law Student

Can’t say that 8 am Crim would be my favourite thing either, but I’m perhaps more of a morning person than some others, so I’d deal. Thanks for posting these mockups, peeps! 

Albertaapplicant
  • Law School Admit

It is nice to hear a bit about what people are doing! I will also be going to UofA in September for law school. I did my undergrad at UofA in history, and I am now finishing my Master's at Queen's. My MA research will be finished at the end of August, so that is the main thing in my summer (although I can do it from anywhere which is nice). I am going to Peru for 3 weeks next month to stay with a host family and brush up on Spanish. I am getting married in July. I'm trying to fit as many Sinhala (it is the native language of my fiance and his family) classes in as possible before law school starts because I probably won't have as much time to work on it then.

I also like running, yoga, and hiking. I really enjoy learning languages and about different cultures. I like trying new food (which Edmonton is so great for). I worked at a bakery for a year between my undergrad and Master's. I had to leave the house at 5:30am every weekday, so ever since then, I drink lots of coffee and I don't mind mornings. Prior to my bakery experience though, there was nothing worse than waking up early for me lol, idk what happened

• Like 5

fettuccinealfredo
  • Law Student

Just properly accepted my offer (and my fate) this morning... so excited to meet you all! I wasn't expecting to attend this September so I haven't planned my summer accordingly - frantically trying to book as many small vacations as possible before school!

I've worked as a legal assistant for the past couple of years, and just gave notice to my firm that I'll be moving to Edmonton at the end of August.  I work as an artist on the side, doing commissioned portraits and other random projects whenever I have time to take them on.

I will be bringing my cat with me, but my partner is staying behind for a few months until he is able to secure a new job in Edmonton (he has a slightly niche career).  Choosing to accept the offer was a very recent decision, and it still feels absolutely surreal. I'm a lifelong BC resident and attended UVic for my undergrad, so it's bittersweet to be moving to another province without my partner.  I think I need a few more days to become properly excited, but right now I am still slightly devastated. Luckily it isn't for a long time, and flights are reasonably affordable between both cities.

I am not a morning person whatsoever, but because of Who I Am As A Person™, those morning classes might be what I need to keep myself on track for the rest of the day/week/semester (I'm sure I'll be kicking myself later for speaking this into existence lol)

• Like 5

Renerik
  • Law Student

Excited to meet you all!

Was planning to make my move for end of July but I was offered a sweet summer contract with reserves that'll run up until the end of August.

Choosing to live in residence for 1L given I'm moving from the maritimes and don't know the city well. I'm a big fan of Grad Res' location, only a hundred feet from the law school.

I am very much a morning person so I'll take all the 8am classes they give me.

• Like 6

saltshaker111
  • Law School Admit

Thanks for stating this thread. Looking forward to meeting everyone this fall!

This summer I'll be focusing on finishing two research papers for my MA. For the first time in my adult life I will not have a job -- feels strange but I'm thankful I'll be able to focus on finishing my master's. I'll also be taking a couple week-long trips (Ontario, the U.S.) to visit mine and my partner's families.

I'll be moving to Edmonton in late August. My partner will be staying in Vancouver (for now) since he got his first post-PhD gig here and it's a really good opportunity for him. I'm looking forward to checking out the food/drink scene in Edmonton -- I've heard the city's home to some great restaurants. If anyone knows of good vegetarian spots, let me know 🙂

I was perfectly fine at waking up early in the mornings until the pandemic hit. Ever since, I've gotten by waking up a bit later and working well into the evenings. Looking forward to breaking this cycle when law school starts, I honestly miss feeling productive at 8am.

• Like 5

bgormo
  • Law Student

Looking forward to meeting you all and making new friends!

I feel very young amongst others in this thread as I have just completed my bachelors this year. 

While the number of times I've been to Alberta, let alone Edmonton, could be counted on one hand, I'm super excited to move to a new city. That being said, I'm used to rainy yet warm Southern West Coast weather and am not necessarily looking forward to -35 windchill in the winter although I will overcome.

Over the summer I'm continuing some anti-racism and school foods work that I began last summer with the BC Ministry of Education. My work term ends mid-August so I'm planning on moving around then. 

Along with the majority of previous responses I am also not a morning person (I'd rather be up until 3am) and my brain only starts working post-9am following copious caffein consumption -- law school will likely cause forced adaptation lol. 

Regarding D&D, let me know if you start up a game once school starts; I've never played but have been wanting to forever. I will not be running unlike others in this thread although I do hope to enjoy some outdoor hockey once its cold enough. Overall I'm just super excited to start something new and learn something so interesting. 

• Like 4

Rusty Iron Ring
  • Lawyer
On 5/22/2022 at 11:35 AM, Khrisse said:

Interests include: ... beer, ...

This was a very popular interest when I was at UofA. I miss that place so much...

• Like 1

Khrisse
  • Law Student
On 5/26/2022 at 1:28 PM, Albertaapplicant said:

Prior to my bakery experience though, there was nothing worse than waking up early for me lol, idk what happened

It’s amazing how we can adapt when we have to! 😂

On 5/27/2022 at 6:59 AM, Rusty Iron Ring said:

This was a very popular interest when I was at UofA. I miss that place so much...

No doubt it was - and will continue to be! 😀 Join us for a pint sometime, Rusty! 

• Like 2
  • Nom! 1

nitzy
  • Law School Admit

Side note,

Does anyone have any intel on what we can expect for scholarships? Do most people get them or only a select few? Just trying to map out my finances for the fall. 

fettuccinealfredo
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, nitzy said:

Side note,

Does anyone have any intel on what we can expect for scholarships? Do most people get them or only a select few? Just trying to map out my finances for the fall. 

I have reliable intel that we'll find out in July. I think the deadline to submit applications is tomorrow so they might be waiting on the rest of the applications to come in before making decisions - the list of scholarships and bursaries for law students is here

nitzy
  • Law School Admit

I appreciate your intel!! 

I mean, I should be okay even if I don't get anything ... but every little bit helps! 

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
3 hours ago, fettuccinealfredo said:

I have reliable intel that we'll find out in July. I think the deadline to submit applications is tomorrow so they might be waiting on the rest of the applications to come in before making decisions - the list of scholarships and bursaries for law students is here

Even if you dont get a scholarship, the bursary application seems pretty generous. I got 10k 1L and 16K in 2L and 3L just because im broke af

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• 3 weeks later...
PsychologicalBug
  • Law School Admit
On 5/23/2022 at 8:39 AM, Khrisse said:

@ShatteredBlaze - ooh, thanks for the mockups, very handy! I’ve never actually played D&D but have always been curious - we should talk! 

@nitzy - France sounds amazing - so jealous! I agree, the chance to explore different areas of law is super exciting for me as well. I was just saying that to a friend last night in response to the “what area do you want to specialize in” question - sure, I’ve got some ideas, but I’m basically gonna play in a bunch of sandboxes over the next three years and see what really excites me. 

Both - me and my partner will be apartment hunting soon - as Edmonton natives, any thoughts on the best neighbourhoods to look in? Priorities: quiet, groceries and other amenities nearby, reasonable walk or transit to school, and good running trails nearby would be a bonus. Hoping we can do the move in late July / early August and have a few weeks to set up, explore and chill a bit. 

Maybe a bit late to reply to this, but I am an avid runner and my husband does mountain biking, and we love living in Parkallen. The Parkallen and McKernan areas are close enough to the university, Whyte, and river valley without being right in the midst of the busyness, in my opinion. I walk to school in the fall and on nice winter days and its about 20-25mins from pretty south in the Parkallen neighbourhood. The area is just beautiful in general, too - mature trees, South Campus farm area for walks, and about a 4-5km walk/run from Hawrelak park.

On 5/25/2022 at 5:29 AM, Khrisse said:

Can’t say that 8 am Crim would be my favourite thing either, but I’m perhaps more of a morning person than some others, so I’d deal. Thanks for posting these mockups, peeps! 

I wish the morning people could swap with the not morning people, because I would prefer the 8am start! I am the annoying person who gets up at 4-5am to run or workout and hang out before the day starts 😅

• Like 2

Renerik
  • Law Student
30 minutes ago, PsychologicalBug said:

I am the annoying person who gets up at 4-5am to run or workout and hang out before the day starts

I'm like this about the gym. Sad the Hanson center only opens at 6am 😪.

PsychologicalBug
  • Law School Admit
28 minutes ago, Renerik said:

I'm like this about the gym. Sad the Hanson center only opens at 6am 😪.

Right?? Even opening half an hour earlier at 5:30am would make such a difference for me. 

Khrisse
  • Law Student

Update: looks like we will be in the Oliver area - about 15 mins walk to the LRT and then one stop down to U of A. There seems to be lots to explore on Jasper. Sooo excited! 

• Like 6

nitzy
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, Khrisse said:

Update: looks like we will be in the Oliver area - about 15 mins walk to the LRT and then one stop down to U of A. There seems to be lots to explore on Jasper. Sooo excited! 

I'll probably see you on the train then Khrisse! Although I have told myself I will try to walk to school in the warmer months (I'm already contemplating reneging).

• Like 1

fettuccinealfredo
  • Law Student

21 hours ago, Khrisse said:

18 hours ago, nitzy said:

I'll probably see you on the train then Khrisse! Although I have told myself I will try to walk to school in the warmer months (I'm already contemplating reneging).

I'm also in Oliver and taking the train - I'll see you both!

• Like 2