Usask vs U of A

Applicant_1010

Applicant_1010
  • Applicant

Having a tough time deciding between the two. I’m thinking I would like to specialize in criminal. Going to the U of S would be a lot nicer as it’s closer to home and I have friends and family in Saskatoon as well. Just wondering if the U of A would offer more opportunities after school as it’s considered a “better school”. Would many firms consider the u of A as a “top school” when hiring? 

СлаваУкраїні
  • Law Student

The U of S actually has a more extensive selection of criminal law options than the U of A. U of S offers dedicated courses in sexual assault, drinking and driving in the criminal justice system, and youth criminal justice, none of which the U of A offers. The only thing U of A offers that U of S doesn’t, as far as I can tell, is an advanced evidence course (though both offer your standard evidence courses), and an admittedly very interesting-looking wrongful convictions course.

In your position, I’d definitely pick U of S, just because U of S offers more courses in the area of law you’re interested in and it’s far more appealing to you on a personal level. I wouldn’t let some vague notion of prestige sway you - especially if you intend on practicing in Saskatchewan after you graduate, for which U of S would obviously be the best choice.

• Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

I am by no means an expert in the criminal bar, but my impression is that networking and a demonstrated interest in criminal law are much more important than school prestige for that practice area. Where would you like to article? My friends who work in crim needed the face time to secure articles, so attending school where you want to work is probably even more helpful than the typical case (where the standard advice is already to attend school where you want to practice).

Edited by Pantalaimon
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 9:17 AM, Pantalaimon said:

networking and a demonstrated interest in criminal law are much more important than school prestige for that practice area

This is my observation as well, and your classes aren’t the only thing that will help in demonstrating interest, legal clinics and volunteer work helps as well.