Grade Release

Fiddler

Fiddler
  • Articling Student

Has anyone received any indication of when grades are being returned? 

• Sad 1

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student

I've heard this week. It's usually midweek and midday, from what I recall, so it should be tomorrow or Thursday around 12:30.

Fiddler
  • Articling Student
19 hours ago, notnotadog said:

My money's on 12:28pm 

Looks like we all lost today. 

• Sad 1

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, cowtail said:

Looks like we all lost today. 

Friend got a response from the assistant dean that suggests it won't be til the last day of the month. lol.

• Angry 2

Fiddler
  • Articling Student
8 minutes ago, notnotadog said:

Friend got a response from the assistant dean that suggests it won't be til the last day of the month. 

These people are like a Russian bot campaign with all the misdirection

• Like 1

elle1234
  • Law Student
15 hours ago, notnotadog said:

Friend got a response from the assistant dean that suggests it won't be til the last day of the month. lol.

What exactly did they say? 😞

AllRise
  • Law Student

I realize this is a U of T thread, but if makes anyone feel better U of Windsor 1L's were told we were getting our grades back yesterday and then received an email that "due to unforeseen circumstances" we aren't getting our grades back for another 1-2 weeks. I feel your pain with the waiting game. 

• Hugs 1

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
27 minutes ago, AllRise said:

I realize this is a U of T thread, but if makes anyone feel better U of Windsor 1L's were told we were getting our grades back yesterday and then received an email that "due to unforeseen circumstances" we aren't getting our grades back for another 1-2 weeks. I feel your pain with the waiting game. 

If it helps, this is literally just normal for UofT. Idk how our faculty is always the last to give out grades.

Fiddler
  • Articling Student

It would be less frustrating if there was a date - even if it was 5 weeks or whatever after exams end. Make it long enough to account for accommodations. But like, how is it not possible to actually have a timeline and stick to it? 

• Like 1

AllRise
  • Law Student
16 minutes ago, cowtail said:

It would be less frustrating if there was a date - even if it was 5 weeks or whatever after exams end. Make it long enough to account for accommodations. But like, how is it not possible to actually have a timeline and stick to it? 

I feel this way about it as well. I don't feel that the line "unforeseen circumstances" is enough of an explanation given that they once gave us a firm date of yesterday (U of Windsor 1Ls) and we are now hearing it is a two week delay. It just feels unprofessional. I don't mind waiting a month, but a month and then an unexplained delay is trying my patience. 

Fiddler
  • Articling Student

Alright this is just us complaining now and it's out of our control. Who knows, maybe someone's dog ate all the ExamSoft pdfs. Nothing to do but wait I guess!

• LOL 2

• 7 months later...
vital_signs
  • Law Student

Necroing this thread to ask when things usually come out in January. I know officially the records office says 4-5 weeks after the deadline for academic work but one of my professors said that it sometimes ends up being 6+ weeks. Is this true/has it recently happened?

GoatDuck
  • Law Student
3 minutes ago, vital_signs said:

Necroing this thread to ask when things usually come out in January. I know officially the records office says 4-5 weeks after the deadline for academic work but one of my professors said that it sometimes ends up being 6+ weeks. Is this true/has it recently happened?

Profs in my dept said the deadline for submitting Fall grades is Jan 14. It’s for graduate students, but I’d be surprised if it’s different for undergrads.

• Sad 1

vital_signs
  • Law Student

In an email from the CDO to 1Ls regarding applications to 1L jobs, they said it is their understanding that grades will be out at the beginning of next week at the earliest.

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student

This school is unbelievably awful with grade releases. I don't think any school takes as long as us. Annoying!

vital_signs
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, Pecan Boy said:

This school is unbelievably awful with grade releases. I don't think any school takes as long as us. Annoying!

It's just bizarre. I know the 1L corporate recruit is a crapshoot so I don't expect to really have a chance regardless, but making all the 1Ls attach a note to our applications saying "Sorry, our school is incompetent. We will email our transcripts later" cannot ingratiate us or the school in the eyes of employers. I applied to some American stuff at the beginning of the month and they've all reached out to me about grades because US schools get them way earlier. 

I was told that the admin here basically doesn't give a shit and is happy to just coast on the school's existing reputation. Sad to see this was right and the person who said it wasn't just jaded. 

Edited by vital_signs

Ben
  • Law Student

Without wanting to be a bootlicker, I don’t agree that the admin doesn’t give a shit. But the grade release thing is such a persistent and annoying issue. It’s unfathomable to me that every other law school can get this done on time but U of T can’t. 

• Like 3

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Wait until they are released and you all find out they’re not even real grades! Just a random smattering of letters between F and P. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, Pecan Boy said:

lol Oz takes long too. 

Edited by Apple

Turtles
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, Apple said:

lol Oz takes long too. 

UofT beat Oz by like 2 hours last winter, but this time Oz got theirs out Thursday at 3pm. Some (deans) would call that lightening speed! 

• LOL 1

ruthlessfox
  • Law Student
17 hours ago, vital_signs said:

It's just bizarre. I know the 1L corporate recruit is a crapshoot so I don't expect to really have a chance regardless, but making all the 1Ls attach a note to our applications saying "Sorry, our school is incompetent. We will email our transcripts later" cannot ingratiate us or the school in the eyes of employers. I applied to some American stuff at the beginning of the month and they've all reached out to me about grades because US schools get them way earlier. 

I was told that the admin here basically doesn't give a shit and is happy to just coast on the school's existing reputation. Sad to see this was right and the person who said it wasn't just jaded. 

Do we know the admin are at fault here? Or is it a handful of professors who are holding out in grading their exams?

I don't know the answer but I find in general UofT Law admin takes a lot of heat for things outside of their control.