Waitlisted 2022

Round3

Round3
  • Applicant

Was put on the waitlist last Thursday. I am a university applicant, 3.0 CGPA for undergrad, 3.9 for master's degree, fluent French, great work experience, 167 LSAT from a few years ago. LORs should be good. I have accepted my position on the waitlist. Beyond thrilled because this is my dream school and program. Once waitlisted, they present you the option of writing a letter of continued interest which I will be doing.

In the meantime, I am sending everyone all my best thoughts during this very stressful time as well all wait for final decisions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
GreyDude
  • Law Student

I was added to the waitlist yesterday, and I also plan to follow up on the option they provide for submitting a letter of continued interest. Since a slot opens up in Minerva for this, I am assuming that they take this letter seriously as an element of the application.

However, I am wondering if anyone can offer advice for what to include in the letter.  My guess is that a one-liner saying something like “yes, I’m still interested” is likely not what they have in mind, but I also suppose they don’t want another PS, so what makes for a good letter? Since I don’t have any significant changes to make to my CV, it can’t be about that… so, what? 

Patient0L
  • Law Student
17 hours ago, GreyDude said:

I was added to the waitlist yesterday, and I also plan to follow up on the option they provide for submitting a letter of continued interest. Since a slot opens up in Minerva for this, I am assuming that they take this letter seriously as an element of the application.

However, I am wondering if anyone can offer advice for what to include in the letter.  My guess is that a one-liner saying something like “yes, I’m still interested” is likely not what they have in mind, but I also suppose they don’t want another PS, so what makes for a good letter? Since I don’t have any significant changes to make to my CV, it can’t be about that… so, what? 

There are lots of tips/templates/excessive discussions on r/lawschooladmissions regarding writing a LOCI, which seems to be either tacitly or explicitly required by US schools if you are waitlisted and still want to be considered. McGill is basically asking for a LOCI, so if it were me I would take that tried and true format as a template and tailor it to this situation.

If you scroll down there are some format guidelines: https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/what-to-do-after-you-get-waitlisted/

HOWEVER… you could ask McGill straight up what they are expecting.

GreyDude
  • Law Student
On 7/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, Patient0L said:

HOWEVER… you could ask McGill straight up what they are expecting.

This is clearly the thing to do. 😇

Patient0L
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, GreyDude said:

This is clearly the thing to do. 😇

I’m curious. Do they actually call whatever it is you are supposed to send them a “letter of continued interest?”

While you are asking them, it probably wouldn’t hurt to mention that you are very very interested…

GreyDude
  • Law Student
28 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

I’m curious. Do they actually call whatever it is you are supposed to send them a “letter of continued interest?”

Actually yes, they do call it that.  They also invite submission of an updated CV if appropriate (in my case any changes would be too minor to make this worth doing). McGill says they re-evaluate waitlisted files as part of the process for dealing with openings as they arise, and that the waitlist isn’t ranked (meaning I can’t say that I’m ‘number X’ on the waitlist), so clearly the admissions process stays holistic from start to finish—meaning that while they don’t require an LOCI, it really looks like they want one. And justifiably so. 

Edited by GreyDude
Clarity

Patient0L
  • Law Student
13 hours ago, GreyDude said:

Actually yes, they do call it that.  They also invite submission of an updated CV if appropriate (in my case any changes would be too minor to make this worth doing). McGill says they re-evaluate waitlisted files as part of the process for dealing with openings as they arise, and that the waitlist isn’t ranked (meaning I can’t say that I’m ‘number X’ on the waitlist), so clearly the admissions process stays holistic from start to finish—meaning that while they don’t require an LOCI, it really looks like they want one. And justifiably so. 

Ahhh… I would imagine if they are going to take the time to review your file again, they would want to know that you are %100 planning to attend. 

Good luck with your LOCI! 🤞🏻 

• Ryn pinned this topic
GreyDude
  • Law Student
On 7/4/2022 at 12:04 PM, Patient0L said:

Ahhh… I would imagine if they are going to take the time to review your file again, they would want to know that you are %100 planning to attend. 

Good luck with your LOCI!

Thanks! 

I inquired, and they told me that they want to know that a I still plan to accept, and to update them on any important changes to my file (changes to the CV; new grades, that kind of thing). So I sent a letter that reflected my situation as accurately as possible, including that I plan to accept an offer if one arrives before the timing forces me to withdraw from the waitlist, and that if I don’t get in this year I plan to reapply in the next cycle.

And now… we wait!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

Patient0L
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, GreyDude said:

Thanks! 

I inquired, and they told me that they want to know that a I still plan to accept, and to update them on any important changes to my file (changes to the CV; new grades, that kind of thing). So I sent a letter that reflected my situation as accurately as possible, including that I plan to accept an offer if one arrives before the timing forces me to withdraw from the waitlist, and that if I don’t get in this year I plan to reapply in the next cycle.

And now… we wait!

I have a good feeling about you letting them know so promptly. Eeek more waiting! Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
GreyDude
  • Law Student
22 hours ago, db0981 said:

Was just accepted this afternoon off the waitlist, so if anyone is waitlisted, there's hope!

Congratulations, and I hope you have a great 1L year! Tell them to hold a spot for me next year. 🙂

Edited by GreyDude

• Ryn locked this topic
  • Ryn unpinned this topic