Debt Vs income vs age? Jitters or reality?

Lulu_spector

Whist
  • Law Student

Since others have mentioned it, I'll add that I've also received pretty generous bursaries. So far, I have paid $0 in tuition because of it. However, I go to a school that costs less than half what UofT does. I didn't mention it originally because I figured my experience was in the context of my sticker price being so much less, and my previous financial/career background being what it is. However, it is something all schools have to differing degrees, so it'll likely cut down on costs somewhat if you choose to pursue law school anyway. 

• Thanks 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student

Additionally, I know that low/medium income BC student loan applicants are considered for an “access grant” which kicks them some extra cash every year that they apply. 

It looks like Ontario might have something similar:

https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/A-ZListofAid/PRDR015098.html

(Tho not sure if this is current, but you get the gist.)

There are many resources aimed at helping lower income students succeed.

However, if you’re actually serious about this, put in the work, take the LSAT, and apply. You can then see what kind of funding you can get and make decisions from there. You could always just not go.

Some of the schools you are mentioning are pretty competitive… so this is really just a thought (or procrastination/avoidance 🙃) exercise until a school actually offers you admission.

Edited by Patient0L
  • Thanks 1

Lulu_spector
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, Patient0L said:

Additionally, I know that low/medium income BC student loan applicants are considered for an “access grant” which kicks them some extra cash every year that they apply. 

It looks like Ontario might have something similar:

https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/A-ZListofAid/PRDR015098.html

(Tho not sure if this is current, but you get the gist.)

There are many resources aimed at helping lower income students succeed.

However, if you’re actually serious about this, put in the work, take the LSAT, and apply. You can then see what kind of funding you can get and make decisions from there. You could always just not go.

Some of the schools you are mentioning are pretty competitive… so this is really just a thought (or procrastination/avoidance 🙃) exercise until a school actually offers you admission.

Thanks for the advice! Actually I got into schools already and so my question is about September 2022 because that’s when school begins. I got accepted.

Edited by Lulu_spector

Patient0L
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Lulu_spector said:

Thanks for the advice! Actually I got into schools already and so my question is about September 2022 because that’s when school begins. I got accepted.

Oh! Well, congratulations! Talk this over with the financial aid office. They are there to help and there are definitely bursaries earmarked for lower income folk…