Would it be better to have a C or a CR?

Meryl

Meryl
  • Law Student

Hi everyone, I had a medical emergency type of incident that took me out of the school year in the second term. I’m repeating first year in the fall. I spent the term in the hospital, but was allowed to complete our ethics course by handing in the final paper after the deadline. I wrote that paper just two weeks after I was released from the hospital (for a head injury) and I know I didn’t do as well as I could have if I had never been injured. For reference, I got an A+ on my first semester paper and a C on my second semester paper. 

My average from first semester of law school is an A, but on the border with a B+. A C grade in the ethics class would definitely bring it down. I have the option to CR/NCR the course because of the pandemic. Should I do this? Because I did so well in first semester I think I would get a C+ in the course so I’m wondering if a CR would look better or worse. It would preserve my GPA and save my average, but I wouldn’t want employers to assume I did even worse and got a D in the course. 

What would you all recommend I do? 

Sacamano
  • Law Student

From the people I know in recruitment, a CR/NC is going to be seen as a C or worse, best case a C+. No one is CR/NC'ing a B in 99 percent of cases, so right off the bat, the designation doesn't look great. Likely you'd get a C+ which is the best case a CR/NC will be perceived as. In that case, I'd leave it. ELGC is also a low weighted course , so the impact on your overall GPA (considering strength of your other grades and likely continuance of stellar grades in the fall) means this ELGC really won't be too impactful.

Garfield
  • Articling Student

CR for sure, I heard from people who review transcripts that they don’t think too hard about the CR, they mostly look at whether it’s “generally Bs,” “a mix of Bs and As,” etc.

CR since it doesn't affect your GPA and employers usually glance over it. I used a CR for my C and no one asked at recruit. Articling at an international firm now. 

• Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

I think that given your situation you will be asked about repeating 1L in any case. So, since you're already going to be explaining your story, you have nothing to lose by taking a CR in my opinion. It completely matches up with your story.

• Like 3

reaperlaw
  • Lawyer
On 5/31/2022 at 9:21 PM, Sacamano said:

From the people I know in recruitment, a CR/NC is going to be seen as a C or worse, best case a C+. No one is CR/NC'ing a B in 99 percent of cases, so right off the bat, the designation doesn't look great. Likely you'd get a C+ which is the best case a CR/NC will be perceived as. In that case, I'd leave it. ELGC is also a low weighted course , so the impact on your overall GPA (considering strength of your other grades and likely continuance of stellar grades in the fall) means this ELGC really won't be too impactful.

Eh, do not agree. I saw a lot of pass-fail grades this past cycle. I generally assumed they were lower than the next lowest grade, but that doesn't mean I thought they were all C's. Unless your next lowest grade was only one letter grade above a C, why would you assume someone with B+'s or A-'s/A's must've gotten a C? Fuck, I'd have pass-failed a B+ in a heartbeat if it would've raised my average. I think a lot of people in pursuit of class ranking/honour's/dean's list would also do so.

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

I agree with the above. I never had the option of a CR or whatever that is but I would have used it on my one B in 1L if I could. Those grades really bring down the GPA. 

Damages
  • Lawyer

If your average would remain as b+ with that B, then I would keep that B.

Edited by Damages
clarity