Legal Work Experience

fettuccinealfredo

fettuccinealfredo
  • Law Student

I'm a 0L with two years of experience as a litigation assistant at a mid-sized firm in a fairly large city. I'm wondering how much this experience will help  during 1L, in terms of grasping material.  Also, will this be helpful when applying to summer jobs?

The managing partner at my firm has (casually, verbally) offered me a summer and/or articling position at the firm whenever I wish to come back, which is an incredible lifeline, but will future employers interpret going back to my old firm as indication that I couldn't get a job elsewhere? Or, will they view it as a reflection of a good reputation/work ethic and commitment to the workplace?

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but I'm attending school in a different province with the opportunity to keep my apartment until next summer. Just trying to plan my housing situation as best as I can, and what to do if I end up receiving an offer closer to my school.

t3ctonics
  • Lawyer

Do you do any legal research? I understand some lawyers get their assistants to help with research, though that hasn't been the case in the law offices I've worked in. If so you might have a head start on understanding caselaw in general, and maybe the law in the area(s) your lawyers practice in. It takes a while for most people to wrap their heads around how decisions are written, and in particular to pick out what's important for the purposes of the class. But most people get a good handle on it within a month or two.

If you don't do legal research - particularly reading caselaw - your work experience probably won't be much help in grasping the material. However, it will help you put things into the context of legal practice, which probably doesn't matter much for law school, but could be helpful when you start working.

I don't think it will help much in applying for summer jobs other than perhaps reassure prospective employers about your interest in the profession and whatever kind of practice you're applying for. When students apply for jobs they usually don't know much about any kind of practice, and employers usually want someone that's genuinely interested in the type of practice and the area(s) of law the position deals with. Having worked in the legal industry, your decision to apply for a given job should be taken as relatively well-informed.

As for the casual offer from your firm, don't worry about it. It's not too uncommon for people to switch workplaces between summer and articling, or articling and an associate position. Try not to make and then break commitments though, that can hurt your reputation. For example, accepting an offer for a summer job, then backing out at the last minute to go somewhere else.

As for keeping your apartment, would you be paying for it during the school year? If so, would that amount be more or less than the cost of renting a new place for the summer if you have to come back? Given we're talking about 8 months for the school year rather than 4 for the summer, I doubt it's worthwhile financially. But it can be hard to find a rental for just 4 months, and maybe you'd be returning regularly during the school year to visit.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
crimlaw1032
  • Applicant

I work at a small firm as a manager/case manager, our managing partner has offered/extended me a similar option. Return in the summers to work and article with her. 

prior to this I worked as a court worker , gladue writer and briefly probation officer 

Our office handles criminal, family and aboriginal law files and I do case law research, assist in preparing submissions, bail plans/surety affidavits, case law research for bail. Family law drafting and drafting and research required for aboriginal law files.

i also assist with administrative issues (LSO, Legal Aid, Law Pro ect) 

i have been told by several  lawyers and Justices that the experience and knowledge gained working in the field will be useful in law school! If you want to chat more PM me! 

• Hugs 1

On 6/1/2022 at 12:03 PM, t3ctonics said:

I don't think it will help much in applying for summer jobs other than perhaps reassure prospective employers about your interest in the profession and whatever kind of practice you're applying for. When students apply for jobs they usually don't know much about any kind of practice, and employers usually want someone that's genuinely interested in the type of practice and the area(s) of law the position deals with. Having worked in the legal industry, your decision to apply for a given job should be taken as relatively well-informed.

52 minutes ago, crimlaw1032 said:

Our office handles criminal, family and aboriginal law files and I do case law research, assist in preparing submissions, bail plans/surety affidavits, case law research for bail. Family law drafting and drafting and research required for aboriginal law files.

i also assist with administrative issues (LSO, Legal Aid, Law Pro ect) 

I think it depends on the work experience and the summer job you're applying for. If I were practicing crim and hiring a summer student, I'd look at @crimlaw1032's pre-law school experience as a pretty significant asset. I think that's unusually relevant experience, though. 

t3ctonics
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, realpseudonym said:

I think it depends on the work experience and the summer job you're applying for. If I were practicing crim and hiring a summer student, I'd look at @crimlaw1032's pre-law school experience as a pretty significant asset. I think that's unusually relevant experience, though. 

Agreed, this experience sounds unusually useful, particularly for criminal. It could easily be enough to make the difference for a summer or articling hire.