Gap Year after undergrad to work/study for LSAT

del

Does anyone have any opinions on taking a year off after my undergrad to study for the LSAT more? benefits/drawbacks?

lawstudent12
  • Law Student

I don't regret taking a year off at all. Gives you extra time to study for the LSAT and a break in between degrees. 

I would suggest working during the year so there isn't an unexplained gap, and you can build your resume. Unless of course, you have travel/other plans which explain it. If you can find work that is law-related (i.e. legal assistant at a firm or something), that's even better and will benefit you greatly - you'll learn lots that will help you in your courses and it looks good on your resume. It shows that you have knowledge of what working in law is like and that you still want to pursue it. Also, allows you to save up.

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student

Helll ya bb, wouldnt say theres any drawbacks. I took 4 years off after highschool than another 3 after undergrad lol. Just live yo loife no need to be on a strict timeline. 

Edited by Lilbb19

I took 2.5 years off, mainly to study for the LSAT but also due to some family reasons. It really worked to my advantage during interviews to be able to talk about what I accomplished during those 2 years, and how that make me a better candidate. I think if you take time off, definitely do something worthwhile in terms of volunterring or part time job, so that you have a 'story' so to speak. You can definitely make it a valuable period of your life, both on a personal level and on paper. If you are inclined to take some time off I definitely say go for it!!!!!  

One down side that I did experience while taking the year off was that I felt worried that I was 'falling behind' and although it wasn't true, it was taxing emotionally and mentally. If you do decide to take some time off, I hope you can be patient and gentle to yourself. 

Edited by hiccups
  • Like 1

AllRise
  • Law Student

When I finished my undergrad I started working, and it wasn't until more than 5 years later that I applied and started law school. I have few regrets. I think the professional experience I acquired during that time I spent working was invaluable to helping me secure a 1L summer position with a law firm and performing well in my law classes. There are certainly pros and cons to taking time off in between, but I think it can depend on what your specific goals are, your desired timeline and also what you plan to do during that time in between.  

• 3 weeks later...
Healthygarden
  • Lawyer

I took a few years off to work + lsat study. No regrets and enjoyed some financial stability once i started LS!

Kimura
  • Lawyer
On 6/2/2022 at 1:54 PM, del said:

Does anyone have any opinions on taking a year off after my undergrad to study for the LSAT more? benefits/drawbacks?

I took a year off after undergrad to work full time and study for the LSAT (evenings after work and weekends). I was busy but it was good because I had cash in my pocket and didn't feel crunched for time to write the LSAT. 

Ive found that since starting law school (and having recently graduated), everything has been non-stop (heavy workloads throughout the school year, working as a summer student, studying for the bar upon graduation and soon to begin articling with not much of a break in between). 

The year off after undergrad was nice because I took some time off to chill before starting LSAT prep. I worked, but I actually enjoyed my weekends and travelled, etc. 

You're already contemplating taking an extra year, so I suggest you do it. I don't regret it one bit.

catwoman
  • Law Student

I took a year off (closer to a year and a half since I finished my undergrad in December) and it was such a great decision. I start law school this fall and it helped me to solidify that this is the career I want to pursue and put full focus into studying for the LSAT. It also helped me learn more about myself and come into my own as an adult outside of my identity as a student, I think that the added life experience and a healthy(ish) relationship with yourself is a good position to be entering the stressful years of law school/career with. Learning healthy coping mechanisms and being able to look back at what has worked for you. Not saying you can't do this without a gap year, but I have found it has been a much needed rest. Earning money from working full time is a bonus plus is great for resumes/applications.