American Applying to Canadian Law Schools - Questions!

vs00

vs00
  • Applicant

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm an American considering applying to Canadian law schools. I do have some family in Canada, but don't really know anyone well in the country, but would really have no problems living there long term (have visited a few times are really loved it). And I'd be lying if the deteriorating cultural/political situation here wasn't a factor (though I'm not under any illusion that Canada is some kind of utopia). 

Additionally, it seems that even international tuition at Canadian law schools would be less than what I would pay for a T20 on a moderate scholarship here, so financially it wouldn't be a bad decision either it seems. My stats are as follows - CGPA: 3.5, LSAT: 170, went to a top state school undergrad here, if that matters. 

Would anyone be able to provide some kind of idea of what Canadian law schools I would be most competitive for? And additionally, whether international students would face any stigma in attaining Articling positions and full-time jobs upon graduation? 

Thanks so much! 

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student

probably good to go for damn near every school in the country. Some schools will just look at your last 2 years or your best 2 (sask) though.

Edited by Lilbb19

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
On 6/5/2022 at 10:59 AM, vs00 said:

Would anyone be able to provide some kind of idea of what Canadian law schools I would be most competitive for? And additionally, whether international students would face any stigma in attaining Articling positions and full-time jobs upon graduation? 

I can't speak with complete authority, but anecdotally my peers with American undergrads have seemed to do just fine. If your JD is Canadian I wouldn't expect much or any stigma.

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

You have a good shot at most schools, with the exception of UofT, UBC and McGill, unless you GPA jumps significantly using UofT's B3 calculation or UBC's drops (which UBC is trying to eliminate for future applicants). I would convert your GPA to the OLAS scale and UBC's percentage scale to get an idea of how competitive you are at those schools. It would also be helpful if you could let us know your L2 and B2 as per OLAS. 

I'm an American citizen, grew up in the US, and have lived in Canada for several years now. I do not think you will face barriers when it comes to securing an articling position or full-time jobs. The only hurdle I see you facing is that you will not be eligible to apply for permanent residency until you have built up a certain amount of work experience after graduating (work experience while you are a student doesn't count). I would make sure you are familiar with the pathway to permanent residency and how to ensure you are able to apply for it as soon as you hit the eligibility threshold, if your goal is to stay here longterm.