VLS or UK

PSa

I got accepted at Vermont Law School with an academic scholarship that pays for half of my tuition across three  years of study. In order to maintain the scholarship I just need to be in good academic standing (i.e. not failing, above a 2.3 GPA) so it isn't a predatory scholarship by any means. Vermont Law School also has an exchange program with McGill which allows you to take law courses at McGill for a semester.  I do plan on coming back to Canada to practice law if I were to go there.  Although I do have a scholarship, nevertheless, paying the remainder of my tuition and the costs associated with living expenses etc. for three years is deterring me.  There are Vermont Law School grads I personally spoke to who came to Canada and have been able to successfully practice in the legal profession here.  

The alternative route for me is to take the UK option, which is comparatively cheaper, where I would plan on studying at the University of Birmingham for 2 years and come back to Canada, do the NCA route, take an LLM etc. 

Between Vermont Law School and the UK option which one do you think would be more reasonable to take?  Also is the stigma of a foreign law grad in any way less if I obtain a JD from an American law school like Vermont Law School in contrast to an LLB from a UK school? 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
15 minutes ago, PSa said:

Also is the stigma of a foreign law grad in any way less if I obtain a JD from an American law school like Vermont Law School in contrast to an LLB from a UK school? 

I hadn't even heard of Vermont Law School and a quick google search shows it has a terrible ranking (tied for 142 in the US) and horribly low admission requirements (median 3.25 gpa and 151 LSAT), so no, it's safe to say it won't come with less stigma than a UK degree. Your options are all bad so you might as well go for the cheaper one.

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student

Both routes prob gonna be a pickle. Just work on improving your stats for canada. The Vermont law school building looks heinous. Looks like those big white houses on a plantation. Lookin like a 19th century cowboy saloon in a new colonial railroad town during the settling of the west.

Edited by Lilbb19
  • LOL 2

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
8 hours ago, CleanHands said:

I hadn't even heard of Vermont Law School and a quick google search shows it has a terrible ranking (tied for 142 in the US) and horribly low admission requirements (median 3.25 gpa and 151 LSAT), so no, it's safe to say it won't come with less stigma than a UK degree. Your options are all bad so you might as well go for the cheaper one.

I am going to question the “not predatory scholarship” assessment based on these stats as well. 

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

Well, I'll strongly advise against attending any Tier 3/4 law schools in the US as their bar pass rate is just not promising. Plus, almost every school not ranked Top 100 by the USNWR smells fishy to various degrees. 

Anyways, if your GPA isn't abysmal, try to improve the LSAT and apply broadly next cycle, you'll get in a Canadian law school that will secure you a much brighter future.

Edited by LordBONSAI

• 3 weeks later...
Mbu1
  • Law Student

Birmingham Uni is a good school in the UK whereas Vermont is abysmal in the US.

2 bad options but Birmingham is better for the Canadian market. I've actually seen quite a few lawyers at decent firms that went there.