Should I Continue Law School?

fiddlesticks1

fiddlesticks1
  • Law Student

So I got back my 1L grades and my average was a C+ (3 Bs and 3 Cs). I’m wondering whether I’ll ever be able to get a position with these grades, and if it will matter if I do better in 2L and 3L. I initially wanted to work for a big firm in Toronto or Vancouver, but seeing from other posts it looks like that door is pretty much closed.

I’m wondering if there’s any point in continuing next year? Can a C+ average student find employment in Vancouver or Toronto? Should I bother with OCIs?

Any insight or advice is appreciated. Thank you! 

• Hugs 1

LMP
  • Law Student

You should absolutely finish law school. 

Now, will you be likely to get a biglaw job through the recruit? Nope, I'd say that door is likely shut tight for the time being. But does that mean you won't get any job? Of course not. You have lots of opportunities to find work you just need to cast a wider net and work harder on crafting your applications. 

I really don't know much about articling recruits or shifting over from another firm after you are called but I suppose both of those may be options as well. 

As for OCIs, why not apply? I know I just told you your odds were low (and they are) but by not applying you lower those odds to zero! 

• Like 4

Damages
  • Lawyer

There are many decent articling  and first year associate positions at non-OCI, small law firms which do not require a transcript in the job application. You will be fine!

Edited by Damages
typo fixed
  • Like 1

goosie
  • Lawyer

Don't let your marks be the reason you leave law school. For articling applications your 2L (and potentially 3L) grades will certainly be taken into consideration. You may not find employment at one of the major Vancouver or Toronto firms at this point in your career, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to find any employment at all in either of those cities.

As you go into 2L, think about what kinds of classes you've generally done better in, both in law school and before. Do you thrive in smaller, seminar-style classes, or larger ones? Do you like writing exams or papers? Do you like research or mooting? Focus on playing to your strengths. Some threads here also suggest focusing on taking classes in areas that often have employers looking to hire during the articling recruit (off the top of my head, personal injury is an example). You might have to adjust your strategy from what you had initially planned, but all hope is not lost!

Edited by goosie
  • Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

Others have provided good advice.

The only thing I'd like to add is that the Canadian legal market and law school dynamic is different from the States. I say this because dropping out over disappointing grades is a legitimate thing to do in the US context (for people who don't go to top tier schools), but almost every Canadian law school grad lands alright. And if you google this question you may find US-centric results, so I wanted to be clear that they should be disregarded.

All the best.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 4

The grades don't necessarily mean you are bad at law, it means you are bad at test taking. If you are still interested in law, reach out to your school to see if they have any study groups or other programs for you and reach out to your professors to figure out what you are doing wrong. If you excel in 2L, I am sure employers will understand.

• Like 1

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student

I have a c+ average and got a few interviews during the official recruit (Alberta/BC). All good. Quitting would be b o n k e r s. 

Edited by Lilbb19
  • Like 3

AllRise
  • Law Student

Agree with much of the advice provided above.

Grades are important, but they aren't everything. Don't give up on law school because of one bad year. I applied to law school with a 3.2 cGPA, which is low, but I had significant professional experience and other qualities unrelated to my grades that I believe ended up being weighed more heavily and helped me gain admission. Your grades may improve over time, and if they don't you will still likely be able to find a firm willing to give you a chance if you show them you are more than your grades (and we are all more than our grades). 

I would summarize by saying you should base any decisions you make on your desire to become a lawyer, not on your grades. 

You got this! 

• Like 2

fiddlesticks1
  • Law Student

Thank you everyone! Great advice and insight. I appreciate it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
JustHereNotStaying
  • Law Student

The advice above is great. I would just add, determine why even got those Cs. For instance, when I got a C in a class it was because I was writing my law school exams like In undergrad. 

On the other hand, if you have serious personal stuff happening in your life, take a leave for one year (make that one year some what productive though).

Leave law school permanently? - you shouldn’t. Even if let say you continue with a c+ average, you can article somewhere and open your own firm (if you start off low cost and build clients you’ll make good money). Just make sure you build social connections and mentorship. Always nice to have someone to call when you don’t know something. 

Everyone on this forum is rooting for you - you got this! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...