Chances for Indigenous Applicant with 3.7gpa, 151 lsat (practice score)

BFI

I am an Indigenous man applying under that specific category and just wondering what to expect. There is not much Information out there other than "it's easier to get in," but I still see people getting low 150s and high 140s getting rejected. Any former or current Indigenous applicants have tips on what I can do to stand out? (besides the obvious of scoring higher on the lsat, which I am already working on..)

Edited by BFI

• BFI changed the title to Chances for Indigenous Applicant with 3.7gpa, 151 lsat (practice score)
applicant88
  • Law School Admit

I agree in that there is very little information published about this and have been doing research in this area.

I will be following this thread and see what others are saying, all the best. Wish I had more information.

Patient0L
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, BFI said:

I am an Indigenous man applying under that specific category and just wondering what to expect. There is not much Information out there other than "it's easier to get in," but I still see people getting low 150s and high 140s getting rejected. Any former or current Indigenous applicants have tips on what I can do to stand out? (besides the obvious of scoring higher on the lsat, which I am already working on..)

When I spoke to admissions of one school, I got the impression that they didn’t have enough Indigenous students to fill their Indigenous category, which is a certain number of seats that are put aside for Indigenous students specifically. However I don’t know if they were talking about volume of candidates or volume of *qualified* candidates. Either way, you have the advantage of a sellers market.

Bring up your LSAT score before writing. Going hard on the LG section is the best way to bring up your score quickly. With a score of high 150s + strong personal statement, you’re gold. At least with the BC schools. I can’t speak to schools in other provinces.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Patient0L said:

When I spoke to admissions of one school, I got the impression that they didn’t have enough Indigenous students to fill their Indigenous category, which is a certain number of seats that are put aside for Indigenous students specifically. However I don’t know if they were talking about volume of candidates or volume of *qualified* candidates. Either way, you have the advantage of a sellers market.

Bring up your LSAT score before writing. Going hard on the LG section is the best way to bring up your score quickly. With a score of high 150s + strong personal statement, you’re gold. At least with the BC schools. I can’t speak to schools in other provinces.

Thanks, I appreciate your response. If you don’t mind me asking, which school exactly was it that you spoke to, TRU?

Patient0L
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, BFI said:

Thanks, I appreciate your response. If you don’t mind me asking, which school exactly was it that you spoke to, TRU?

PM me!

peterpan
  • Law Student

I would say your chances are pretty good based off the information you have provided. 

I applied under the Indigenous Category and was accepted for Fall 2022 at the U of M. I feel like my recommendation/reference letters is probably what led Admissions to accept me. 

• Like 1

applicant88
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, peterpan said:

I would say your chances are pretty good based off the information you have provided. 

I applied under the Indigenous Category and was accepted for Fall 2022 at the U of M. I feel like my recommendation/reference letters is probably what led Admissions to accept me. 

Are you comfortable sharing your stats?

found.antlers
  • Applicant

Hi , I am a First Nations person and will also be applying through the indigenous stream.  Feel free to message me if you would like to chat at all about the application process. I am in the same position, but am happy to talk to share ideas and/or tips.

• 4 weeks later...