Dear confused mature applicant

Lulu_spector

Lulu_spector
  • Law School Admit

If you’re a mature applicant who is confused about going for law school, or if you have gotten into law school and doubting continuing and happened to read some of my questions on here asking if it’s worth it and if it’s mathematically wise — then this is for you 🙂

I wanted to write a conclusion for any on lookers who read my posts, and/or anyone in a similar situation reading this. 

In terms of if it’s worth it:

For me, this became dependent on the big picture of my goals. This means knowing yourself and writing down all the sacrifices you will need to make as a an older applicant and/or parent and asking yourself if it’s worth it. Only you can answer this, but compare your answer to what the actual work involved is which you can find by getting 1L sample schedules and mapping out the time and work required. Compare this with the time and work required in your personal life. Then interview lawyers asking them the day-to-day work. You can then see how it all looks with each other and then be honest with yourself: can you do this? Do you WANT to do this? It’s only 3 years, but it will test your relationships and push you hard. The day-to-day, is this something you’d enjoy or want to do? Be honest with yourself. 

In terms of the financials:

I made a spreadsheet, talked to lawyers face to face, on LinkedIn, and through email to ask them what their actual jobs were like every day. I analyzed the numbers of living expenses, tuition, books, things for baby/children, loans, osap, and possible bursaries and scholarships. I compared the numbers to my goals, my age, and the reality of the actual day-to-day job of being a lawyer. For me, it’s not a wise investment. 

I knew all this before asking “is it worth it financially” on here. However, I’ve put so much work into this goal already, so I was afraid to turn it down. So, I asked while knowing that for me it’s not a financially  wise decision at this point of my life, but hoped someone would say different. I hoped someone would prove me wrong or counter with a claim that would be thought-provoking enough to justify the numbers. This is not the responsibility of anyone here of course, but it was a hope from desperation to continue this journey.

I got into multiple schools and for this I’m grateful. My past doesn’t make any sense for making it into law school but the journey of change is what helped me get in. But I should have ran the numbers a long time ago.

I urge you to do what’s best for you. Advice and wisdom is great and needed, but consider the life you want, consider the numbers, and think about who you are. Then consider the numbers again. This will tell you what to do next. 

There are many kind people here who have good advice. Reach out to them and talk to as many lawyers and law students.

I wish you the best 🙂 

Edited by Lulu_spector
  • Like 3

Patient0L
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, Lulu_spector said:

For me, it’s not a wise investment.

The suspense is killing me.

Does this mean you’re not going to law school?

• LOL 1

Lulu_spector
  • Law School Admit
4 hours ago, Patient0L said:

The suspense is killing me.

Does this mean you’re not going to law school?

Hahah suspense?! Oh no, I thought my essay was clear 😂 I’m not going unfortunately. It makes me sad. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, Lulu_spector said:

Hahah suspense?! Oh no, I thought my essay was clear 😂 I’m not going unfortunately. It makes me sad. 

Ahhh... mid-life crisis precipitated career/relationship/vehicle changes are often not wise investments. We often go for it anyways.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do next!

• Like 1

saltshaker111
  • Law School Admit

I've read your posts and I see that this was a tough decision for you to make. I'm glad you finally have some resolution. Good luck in whatever you choose next!

• Like 1

Lulu_spector
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, Patient0L said:

Ahhh... mid-life crisis precipitated career/relationship/vehicle changes are often not wise investments. We often go for it anyways.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do next!

Thank you! What I’m doing next will still be the same theme - politics, law, policy. Some justice-based work doesn’t require a JD. So, I will be exploring this.  

Aww no this isn’t a midlife thing. Law school was the plan since 2014. It’s deeper than I will/can explain here. DM me if you’d like to know more.

Thanks for the chat! 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

I'm sorry to read this and yet I get the impression it was the right decision (albeit clearly a difficult one). Wishing you all the best with your alternative path.

• Hugs 1

Lulu_spector
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, saltshaker111 said:

I've read your posts and I see that this was a tough decision for you to make. I'm glad you finally have some resolution. Good luck in whatever you choose next!

Thank you for replying! Yes the resolution feels much calmer than denying reality because I genuinely enjoy reading decisions and writing about them 😆 Oh well. Maybe in another life! Time to keep going forward. Thanks for wishing me luck 🍀 I wish you a good life!

• Like 1

Lulu_spector
  • Law School Admit
8 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I'm sorry to read this and yet I get the impression it was the right decision (albeit clearly a difficult one). Wishing you all the best with your alternative path.

You were so insightful and kind since day 1! I wish I knew you in real life because you have such an interesting mind! It’s a mix of high empathy and wit and intelligence. It was so helpful. Yes very difficult decision. But the path continues forward and all I have learned from this path will serve me well. Thank you for your kindness!

• Thanks 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
35 minutes ago, Lulu_spector said:

You were so insightful and kind since day 1! I wish I knew you in real life because you have such an interesting mind! It’s a mix of high empathy and wit and intelligence. It was so helpful. Yes very difficult decision. But the path continues forward and all I have learned from this path will serve me well. Thank you for your kindness!

Thank you so much for the kind words, as always.

While selfishly I'm a bit bummed we won't get to hear about your law journey, please do check in down the road when someone else in a similar situation shows up, and let them know what other exciting things you got to do instead.