Transfer Thread

ccounsel2024

ccounsel2024
  • Law Student

Just received my acceptance to transfer for 2nd year. Offer expires in 2 days.

• Like 2

sponsoredbycoffee
  • Law Student

Accepted the offer to transfer yesterday! If there are any other UVic upper-year transfers out there who would like to chat, feel free to send me a message. It would be great to touch base with some other transfer students. 

• Like 3

BarNone
  • Law Student

Got the offer to transfer on Tuesday June 7! And I have accepted the offer! Was rejected from Uvic during my application cycle, so very happy to be going there!

Edited by BarNone
  • Like 2

mattmurdock
  • Law Student

For those who received acceptances, when did the admissions office receive your 1L transcript? 

Edited by mattmurdock
To specify which transcript

ccounsel2024
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, mattmurdock said:

For those who received acceptances, when did the admissions office receive your transcript? 

May 20

• Like 1

sponsoredbycoffee
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, mattmurdock said:

For those who received acceptances, when did the admissions office receive your 1L transcript? 

May 4 for me 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
ccounsel2024
  • Law Student
On 6/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, Oochie said:

How many spots does UVic usually have? Do they open up more seats for 2L?

Not too sure but I think that UVic probably gave out all or most of the offers already. They did not want to extend my offer deadline because they wanted transfer students to have an equal chance to enrol in courses (which was last week). However, I am giving up the seat I accepted so there might be another spot. 

Edited by ccounsel2024

boxesoforanges
  • Law Student

My transcript is still missing... even though OLSAS says its received. Have never been angrier and pretty sure i missed out on an osgoode acceptance.

• 7 months later...
westcoastwanderer
  • Law Student

Hi everyone,

I am looking to transfer into UVic for Fall 2023 from Windsor. I was wondering if any successful transfer applicants wouldn't mind messaging me so I can see if I have a good chance of getting in.

Thanks in advanced!

• 3 months later...
ArtandLaw
  • Applicant

Hi everyone!

I was accepted today as a Transfer into 2L! 

I'm transferring from Lakehead Law. If anyone has any questions please contact me.

• 5 weeks later...
GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student

I am secretly jealous. I wish I was at UVIC. 

There is warmth at UVIC compared to UBC. 

If you didn't have the doctor shortage you do, I would be there. Every other week I dream of transferring. Then remind myself I can't right now. 

• Like 1

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, GoBigOrGoHome said:

If you didn't have the doctor shortage you do, I would be there. Every other week I dream of transferring. Then remind myself I can't right now. 

Dude we barely even have a building. The whole place is a huge construction site, and when it's not too noisy it's either too hot or too cold. There aren't enough profs or classes, and the library hours keep getting shorter.

You are correct that there is warmth if you're talking about the student body itself... great people and not too "competitive", but nothing else about UVic is worth writing home about. Enjoy where you are! (And good on you for taking the doctor shortage seriously).

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
On 6/28/2023 at 7:25 PM, TheDevilIKnow said:

There aren't enough profs or classes

This is the only part that would bother me. You need profs and classes. All of the schools across the country should partner and make some cool courses available online. It would add variety and you could get some of the world's experts. 

As for the library - comparatively, your library opens 30 minutes earlier and closes one hour earlier on weekdays. Weekends it closes half an hour earlier. The UBC law library has also been reducing its hours. 

The difference that is obvious between UBC and UVIC is the support that UVIC staff offer students. My interactions with them demonstrate that they will do what they can to help students succeed. Support is built into the culture. 

UBC it is an afterthought - sometimes outright denial to respond to student need. I could give many examples but then I would be completely public about who I am. 

What I can say is that this sentiment isn't just mine. It is also felt by other students, and sadly by many indigenous students. 

UBC's administration has a lot to learn from UVIC. I think that they just ride their reputation and don't really care. People will still want to attend. And their reputation isn't even based on having some of Canada's leading experts. It is that they are hard to get into which is to be expected in a populous metropolitan city as beautiful as Vancouver.  

Anyways - just a bit jealous. It is not the building that you are in that makes the place great. It is the people. And UVIC just has different vibes. 

For those transferring into UVIC - congratulations! 

• 2 months later...
Bottlebottle
  • Applicant
On 6/28/2023 at 6:19 PM, GoBigOrGoHome said:

honestly, dont mean to toot our own horn but this is absolutely true.

uvic energy is unmatched. everyone shares notes, outlines, you can literally approach anyone (within your year or upper year) and they will help. no one is weird or competitive. way more collegial and laidback

BarNone
  • Law Student

If anyone has recently transferred to Uvic this year (2023), feel free to private message me! A couple of transfer students from last year are looking to connect, cheers! 🙂